Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1453995435' post='2965140']

Several carefully hammered and trimmed cocktail sticks later... :)

I think it looks loads better. Just a bit of very careful final trimming to do and it'll be done. Yes they're still visible, but only if you look for them.
Very pleased dog 🐶
[/quote]

Agreed, nothing wrong with those. Good job UG.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1453757833' post='2962561']
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more made of these as a modding platform. Not saying they need it, but you know how some folks are!
[/quote]

Mine's been a revelation since I had it land at the start of December. However, as everything else I've got has EMGs, I've taken a while to bond with it tonally. Not saying the stock pickups are bad, just have used EMGs for so long, they're part of my tone.

Adding to that, I did a function on Saturday night at a WMC in Brum and it REALLY suffered with buzzing, something I've not had in the past with it. Admittedly, it was an exceptionally electrically noisy venue and the guitarist couldn't use his strat. My EMG equipped Lakland JO was as quiet as the grave.

That's led me to start thinking about swapping out the stock pickups for some EMG J5s. It'll give me nearer the tone I want AND be better in noisy venues.

Just need to work out how to implement the active EMGs into the preamp.

T

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1454012234' post='2965488']
They are on Thomanns website already, although not available yet.
[/quote]

oh, they are, and it's maple with white blocks!!!! :gas:

Do I need another Jazz?
No I don't.
I really don't.

But...:P

[quote name='Tvrtastic' timestamp='1453899090' post='2963942']

Email sent to thomann. Dilemma. Don't really want to send it back :-( I'll await their response.
[/quote]

Thomann have asked for a video showing the the fault and no response from sire whatsoever.

My dilemma with thoman is that I am sure that they will just want me to return bass and they ship me another. Problem is that even with the dicky pan pot the bass sounds bloody great!

It don't want to send this one back and then get another with different density / sound etc. I know it's unlikely but I'd kick myself.

I guess the question is how often do you guys really use that pan pot? Since owning this bass I have been more than happy to just stick it on the neck pickup and change tone from the preamp. I never even desire flicking to the bridge. Both pickup work ok and can be selected. It's just the pan seems to be on/off with muted centre (both)

Am I missing out?

Must admit I hardly use the pan pot or bridge pup on my jazz basses. Saying that I would expect them to work as they should, no matter how much the bass costs.

If this were me I would tell Thomanns I want a replacement, but not until they check its be new one first. They did this for me a few years ago when I had issues with a bass from them. It might be that they tell you to hang on to the bass until they have more stock. In the mean time Sire might have been in touch with more help.
It does sound like one of the pups might be reversed, and I'd be inclined to investigate sorting that out myself.

I really want one of these basses, I only found out about them today - seems like a good deal (regardless of the small faults, which I can fix). I'm going to join the club and order one shortly. I'm sure this has been asked before, but would you consider this better than a vintage Squire 5?

I need a gigging bass for a new band and I don't want to take out the expensive old ones.

Edited by Jebo1

I would say yes, it beats the Squier in every way.
Saying that, if you don't want or need an active bass then maybe it's not the best choice. Having all those knobs and using the bass in passive mode 100% of the time doesn't feel right to me. It's also quite a heavy bass, although that's not a problem for a lot of us.
It's also a bit longer than a standard Fender/Squire, so you may need a new case or gig bag. My V7 would only fit in one of my 4 gig bags when I got it. Luckily Sire gave me two of their gig bags :-)
In all other respects I think it's an amazing bass. The pre amp along makes it fairly unique at this price point. You don't get many 18volt pre amps at this low price point, or even double this price point. Not sure if it's needed but its nice to have I suppose.
The V7 isn't deadly silent with only one pup on. At least, mine isn't. In fact even in passive mode I hear more noise than my Squier CV Jazz. It's not a big deal, and this is with headphones on so more noticeable, but if it matters maybe the Squier is quieter.

I've actually stopped using mine at the moment. I put new strings no all my basses a few weeks ago. All the same XL's. I love these strings but I find the V7 to be quite a warm, deep and round sounding bass. As far as traditional Jazz tones go my Squier CV Jazz (with Wizard 74's) has more growl and bite, and seems to cut through with a bit more clarity than the V7. The CV has less low end but enough to do the job. I'm not really a fan of active basses, although the V7 has an amazing range of tones. I do like the V7 tone, and will definitely use it again, but for now I don't need 5 strings.

Cheers Dave, that's a really useful response. I need something with some warmth for an acoustic quartet, but that will have some bit when I dig in.

The music is quite technical, which is why I'm considering a 5, it'll give me a bit more 'space' to play, I guess.

Recently I'm not one for buying and selling lots of gear, in fact I've had the same rig for 10 years now, but I think a 5 will be a bit of fun.

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1454356288' post='2968960']
Premier Guitar review including video... http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/23506-sire-marcus-miller-v--review
[/quote]

Not really a good, comprehensive review IMO. He missed out some of the nicer features like the passive tone knob, got the fact that it was Sire that approached Marcus, not the other way around wrong.

Still, at least it was a glowing review of the features he did mention.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1454355717' post='2968953']
Cheers Dave, that's a really useful response. I need something with some warmth for an acoustic quartet, but that will have some bit when I dig in.

The music is quite technical, which is why I'm considering a 5, it'll give me a bit more 'space' to play, I guess.

Recently I'm not one for buying and selling lots of gear, in fact I've had the same rig for 10 years now, but I think a 5 will be a bit of fun.
[/quote]

Just remember that it's only my view, but it is based on actually gigging with it for a good few months.
I don't think you can wrong with the Sire for what you want it for,
One other thing worth mentioning is the neck radius. I love Lakland necks as they are nice and reasonablely flat. The Sire is not like this at all, although it's still a very comfy neck to play. Might not make a difference but worth pointing out if you have played a Lakland 5 string and loved the neck.

Don't worry, I won't come after you if I don't like it!

To be honest, I had already decided to get one but I'm not in a position to spend money unnecessarily or waste fully, so some more info is always useful. My only slight issue is that o can't get my hands on one until March. Hey ho, something to look forward to :-)

[quote name='hen barn' timestamp='1455051230' post='2975519']

I have a sire on order but I tried a mates last week and when you turn up the volume bass and treble etc it really distorts?? Does yours do this? It's as if too powerful??
Or just needs the pick ups adjusting?
[/quote]

I'd say it was more a case of your mates amp freaking out at the massive bass and/or treble you are dialling into it by turning pre amp to 10. With my sire I just use fine +/- 2 or 3 on the bass and treble and the tone change is massive. If I turn bass up to 10 then it a massive floor shaker which is fine (if you like that type of thing) but you have to adjust amp or guitar volume to suit.

I just think that you have to be a little more subtle with the preamp settings. It is by far the most powerful preamp I have ever used :-)

[quote name='hen barn' timestamp='1455051230' post='2975519']
I have a sire on order but I tried a mates last week and when you turn up the volume bass and treble etc it really distorts?? Does yours do this? It's as if too powerful??
Or just needs the pick ups adjusting?
[/quote]

All you have to do is open the pre up and you will see a little blue box with a white dial on it, that dial will allow you to turn the gain up or down on the pre.

Yeah, the low end is very powerful. Ive got the active tone level set just lower than the passive level. This keeps the overall output level pretty consistent when switching between the two modes, as long as im not being silly with the EQ boost.

Edited by dave_bass5

Pretty much my only issue with the Miller preamp is the ridiculous amount of boost/cut available. One barely has to touch the bass control and it's instant rumble. For me, it's unusable past about 1/2 way -- if it's +/-15dB then I'd have been happy with +/-7. It'd be more musical & usable. Obviously YMMV.

If you take out the existing preamp, you're left with what is effectively a knobless passive Jazz bass that happens to have a battery box already fitted. In theory, it will take any preamp that will fit in a standard Jazz cavity.

Has anyone got a 5-string Fretless V7 in Alder/Rosewood? I'm thinking about buying one after all the relatively glowing reviews... Curious what the fretless sounds are like, the mwah, and whether fingerboard is coated (it looked it in the website pics)? :-)