Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='Tvrtastic' timestamp='1453305372' post='2958283']

I wonder if when it arrives if it was be an Indonesian or Chinese built one. :-s
[/quote]

Sire was due to arrive today but Thomann did not enter my address in correctly (no post code) and parcel force did not even bother to deliver (or try contact me). Oh well anoth 24 hours wait.....

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1453575092' post='2960746']

Done. :D Shame about the old screwholes but I can live with it. The difference in quality between these and the stock tuners is vast. So very glad I made this mod. It's the only one I'll be making to this bass :)
Incidentally, that D string tuner might look pissed in the photo, but it's not in reality. I've just checked and it's as straight as an arrow. Who says the camera never lies? :lol:

[/quote]

Notice much of a difference in weight? My Sire is about 10 1/2 lbs so if this mod could knock a bit off that it'd be worthwhile!

What difference do they make other than asthetics and now looks like the neck has wood worm (which to me asthetics is now not good)?

I realise these are better tuners, but better how? I've done over 50 gigs with my V7 and never had any tuning issues so I don't think they are sub standard.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1453755994' post='2962536']
What difference do they make other than asthetics and now looks like the neck has wood worm (which to me asthetics is now not good)?

I realise these are better tuners, but better how? I've done over 50 gigs with my V7 and never had any tuning issues so I don't think they are sub standard.
[/quote]

I agree there's nothing functionally wrong with the Sire tuners. Weight is an issue though! Can save nearly 1/2 pound with the hipshot tuners in some cases. Change out the bridge for a lighter unit you could be nearly a full pound better off.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more made of these as a modding platform. Not saying they need it, but you know how some folks are!

Edited by Bigwan

Mine turned up :-)
White 4err, alder, with rw fingerboard.

First thoughts: plays very well, good setup. Sound is good, easy to get the 2 pickup J thing going. It's better with the actives on.

Mine's MIC rather than MII. The fit and finish is pretty good, no complaints but a few observations - the finish colour on the back of the neck is a bit uneven in places, and there's a tiny ding on the tip of the headstock.
I've seen a few comments about the weight - no complaints from this player.

very pleased!

There's nothing actually [I]wrong[/I] with the stock tuners, no. They hold tune perfectly ok but felt slightly 'grindy' in operation to me, a slight budget feel about them. The action of the Hipshots is a million times better, they are as smooth as a baby's derriere. The main advantage however is the weight saving; the new set is indeed a clear 1/2 pound lighter than the stock set.
Yes the screw holes are kinda ugly and I'm going to have a go at filling them with something, although nothing too permanent as I'd want to re-fit the old set if I sold the bass. Probably some cocktail/match stick tapped in and trimmed off flush.

Without having read the whole thread, my otherwise great Sire V7 has a minor issue that I'd like to adress.

Due to the curved fretboard the E and G string are much closer to the pickup and are therefore substantially louder than the A and D string. It gets better when I screw down the pickups, but that dilutes the otherwise great and punchy sound of the bass. Has someone found a better way to battle this?

Edited by djaxup

[quote name='djaxup' timestamp='1453817933' post='2963032']
Without having read the whole thread, my otherwise great Sire V7 has a minor issue that I'd like to adress.

Due to the curved fretboard the E and G string are much closer to the pickup and are therefore substantially louder than the A and D string. It gets better when I screw down the pickups, but that dilutes the otherwise great and punchy sound of the bass. Has someone found a better way to battle this?
[/quote]

I suppose the smart ass answer is to play those strings with a slightly lighter touch, but in all honesty i cant say ive noticed this issue.

It makes the B string on mine a bit of a monster, but it is what it is. It's one reason the likes of Sadowsky keep their 5 string radii quite flat. That and the fact the edge of the fingerboard gets to be too thin. 7 1/4" radius always sounded like madness on a 5 to me, but I'm growing to like it... Which is a slight worry as I have a flat fingerboard ACG in the works!!!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1453319090' post='2958449']
It will be a Sire, that's all that really matters ;-)
[/quote]

My V7 arrived yesterday. As feared it's a China one but tbh the build is great. One fret sneaking out of the binding at the 11th but you only feel it if purposely looking. Perhaps the alder is a bit notty in places and may have been better in a painted guitar rathur than tobacco burst one but I think I am being fussy when you look at the money it cost!!!!

Sound? Omg it is good. The reviews and comments are not wrong. I played for 6 hours straight last night.

Weight is a dead 9 and this is light for me as my normal play is a 6 string fretless at 11.4!

One consurn is the pan pot on the preamp. When the pick up blend is dead centre there is a noticeable drop in signal. I set it to 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock and each pickup is clear and strong. But centre is muted. Does not seem to be much blending going on either. Sounds to my ears that the selection is either on or off.

Anyone else get this too or do I need to be contacting sire or Thomann?

Nice one.

Glad its living up to expectations.

I cant say ive noticed any real drop in signal with my. obviously you get a slight mid drop as with any Jazz bass, but ive never had the volume go noticeably lower when both are on.
Could this be to do with one pup being wired in reverse? (not sure i know what im talking about it it rings a bell).

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1453896929' post='2963908']
Mine doesn't do the volume drop either. Tvr, I reckon with that and the binding issue you've got perfectly valid reasons to request a replacement from Thomann. Get in touch with them, I reckon.
[/quote]

I'd second that. The fret alone is enough reason.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1453896929' post='2963908']
Mine doesn't do the volume drop either. Tvr, I reckon with that and the binding issue you've got perfectly valid reasons to request a replacement from Thomann. Get in touch with them, I reckon.
[/quote]

Email sent to thomann. Dilemma. Don't really want to send it back :-( I'll await their response.

[quote name='Tvrtastic' timestamp='1453899090' post='2963942']
Email sent to thomann. Dilemma. Don't really want to send it back :-( I'll await their response.
[/quote]

I would email Sire themselves. They will have more of an idea and it could mean a simple fix rather than sending the bass back and havimg to wait another few weeks or more.

Sire offer outstanding CS. They even sent me two free gig bags, you cant get better than that.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1453908205' post='2964080']

I would email Sire themselves. They will have more of an idea and it could mean a simple fix rather than sending the bass back and havimg to wait another few weeks or more.

Sire offer outstanding CS. They even sent me two free gig bags, you cant get better than that.
[/quote]

Good idea. Email sent to the infamous Micky Cho!

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1453575092' post='2960746']Shame about the old screwholes but I can live with it.

[/quote]
Several carefully hammered and trimmed cocktail sticks later... :)

I think it looks loads better. Just a bit of very careful final trimming to do and it'll be done. Yes they're still visible, but only if you look for them.
Very pleased dog 🐶

[quote name='such' timestamp='1454004235' post='2965326']
I see a couple of these in my future (this year probably). Apparently there's a Candy Apple Red coming out soon as well as lacquered-board fretlesses.
[/quote]

Candy apple red?
If it's a maple neck I'm doomed...