Why become a member? ×

Kemper Profiling Powerhead - will it do what I hope it will do?

angercat

Being bitten by GAS again; I thought I had the ultimate setup but now I'm unsure! I'm running a Dingwall ABI into a TC Electronic RH750 through a pair of RS210s and I love the sound and the power. TBH, the RH750 is too loud - even at half volume my drummer (the loudest of his breed) complains about the noise. Our rock covers band also requires me to stick in a bunch of FX in at random points, so I'm FX looping out to a Zoom B9.1ut. Factor in the wireless system and my signal has probably got 50 feet of air and cable to travel before it even hits the amp!

Like many of our BC compadres, I've recently been experimenting with a Royal Blood style 'bi-amping' setup, as we only have one guitarist and I'd like to be able to convincingly fill out the rhythm guitar frequencies during his [u]many[/u] solos. So I've been taking a feed out of the Zoom and sticking it through a whole other pedalboard: EHX Micro POG > Boss PS6 > Boss GE7 > Boss NS2 > Sansamp GT2. I've tried to go direct into the PA with this chain and also into a clean solid state guitar amp and, frankly, I've yet to be wowed by the results, as the unaffected 'guitar' sound is still really quite 'flutey' thanks to the necessary evil of the POG!

This guy [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulkwx9AvioU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulkwx9AvioU[/url] seems to get a useable 'powerchord' sound from his Kemper, esp once he starts messing with the Formant Shift knob, so I'm pretty sure this will help me ditch the guitar pedalboard. Our guitarist uses an EVH 5150 III 50w head, so I'm looking to try and get a sound that compliments his thick, scooped VH tone.

My questions are twofold:

1) If I sell my RH750 head, can I still use the two TC cabs in their standard Head > Cab > Cab setup using the Kemper? I should know more about impedance but I don't.

2) Using the 'Parallel Path' feature of the Kemper, can I get the powerchord signal through an emulated 5150 rig, while still getting a bass tone? I DI to the PA at every gig, so am planning on using the TC cabs for personal monitoring and stage presence, so the quality of the amplified tone is not as vital as the DI'ed tone.

Please can anyone help? I'm drowning in a sea of cables and power supplies and really would like some advice to help lighten the load!

Cheers folks,

Ben.

use the kemper with some decent pa cabs. it will bring the best results with linear cabs that not only deliver a good bass tone.
and the fx section of the kemper is amazingly good. ad get the remote otherwise you'll have to mod a behringer board with a suitable chip if you don't like excessive programming.

there are so many routing options in the kemper, that you will find a way to get the proper sound. i.e. split the bass signal before the pitchshifter and put both back to the amp, etc.
and no, I'm no user yet, but tried it a few times and follow this thing very interested since it came out, just can't justify to spend so much money, since there are to few gigs... ;)

Or one of these, http://www.fishman.com/product/fission-bass-powerchord-fx-pedal see and hear, here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDPlvXToHs

Separate effects output for sending the 'guitar' to a separate amp and using the distortion on that. I love mine.

Yep, I used the Akai Unibass in a four piece rock covers band to add a convincing rhythm guitar whilst the guitarist took a solo. I used to use the line out on the Unibass straight into the desk rather than feed it through my bass stack. In the cacophony of a live gig, you don't really hear the 'flutieness' of the pitch shifted signal and a bit of careful eq'ing on the desk soon sorted a working tone.

I use a Kemper powerhead live into an RS210 and Rs212 cabs every week for live performance and it works great .... I chose the powerhead as it has a dedicated output from the power amp section to run straight into guitar cabs to act like a standard guitar head for live use .... It's rated at 600w at 8 ohms and 300w at 16 ohms in the manual ... But I've been running it into the two 8ohm cabs ... 4 ohm load ...for a while now with no probs ... According to the forum running the cab at lower ohmages won't damage it ... Which seems to be the case.

I've not tried Bi amping yet ... So can't comment on that .... But the pitch shifter and effects that come with it are awesome ... It's a great purchase