Why become a member? ×

Need a bit of help - problem with Ampeg Portaflex

NBGuitar

Hi guys,

I've just recieved an Ampeg PF-350 and the matching 1x15 fliptop cab. I've just hooked it all up, and whilst it sounds great, there's a really annoying rattling coming from the amp when the volume's turned up a bit. I've narrowed it down to the lid of the cab that's making the noise, but I can't work out which bit. This is happening both with the amp screwed onto the lid and without. I think it could be something to do with the amount the lid vibrates when played loud, maybe it's vibrating something inside the amp even, maybe the fan or something?

Anyone have any experience with this issue? Any ideas on what to do?

If this is new - contact the seller - it's their job to supply gear that works properly, it's not up to you, as the customer to do stuff to make it work - indeed, it could invalidate any warranty...you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act.....don't be shy, it's your money, at the end of the day..........

:)

Are you positive it's the lid? I bought one of these last year and was worried for a while by a buzzing/rattling sound which seemed to be associated with the grille cloth - if i gave the grill cloth a gentle push in the middle it would go away. It only really happened on a low A, worse when played on the E string at the 5th fret (a bit of a problem for a man of my modest ability - "Blues in A, anyone?").

However, when playing at a decent volume (keeping up with a fairly loud drummer) it wasn't noticeable, and it seemed to sort itself out after a while and doesn't happen any more.

Having said all that, I agree that when you buy stuff it should be fit for it's purpose, and even if it's B-Stock that should, presumably, only be down to cosmetic issues.