Why become a member? ×

Feeler- Gorgeous 1971 Jazz, CAR(?)

jojobass

Well, I've deliberated for months about this because it's a lovely bass and I really don't want to sell it- however I now have two 60's Jazzes and so this one ends up not really getting played, and I need the money!! It's got a real 70's funky sound to it, quite a narrow neck and is comfortable to play. It's got the original body, neck, pickups and bridge but the tuners are replacements and the scratchplate is a NOS Fender replacement. The control plate and knobs are also replacements. It looks the part though and sounds fantastic. Based in Birmingham- anybody welcome to come try it!

I forgot to say earlier, it is a refinish, as far as I know.

...oops, also forgot to say, when I got this bass the frets were all mashed up and there were grooves in the wood itself on the fingerboard, so I had it refretted by Bob Dayfield (in Leicester- who takes care of all Aynsley Lister's guitars) and he did an incredible job on it- came back like a new bass! I asked for vintage style frets as I'm not really into the modern style "jumbo" frets. It plays like a dream now ;-)

Edited by jojobass

God damn it! That is giving me the Bass horn! If only it were a precision.

Beedster - I can't agree old boy, I think £1k is a fair price for a refinished bass with non-original parts. Not a genuine collectors bass which would push it up into the stratosphere but a players bass of the highest calibre I'll warrant? Oh so much mojo as well.

Bumpety

I think £1k is pushing it. There's a 75 original bass on ebay with a changed guard at £1399 from Musicground, never the most modest sellers.

I'd price this bass (with the changes) more at the £700 to £800 mark. I bought an all orig 73 for £900 a few weeks ago, and they're still available. Whatever quality the refin, it's going to knock the price into touch.

An all orig 75 in CAR... I've never seen one...

Good luck with the sale... It looks a beauty.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='27676' date='Jul 5 2007, 11:18 PM']I think £1k is pushing it. There's a 75 original bass on ebay with a changed guard at £1399 from Musicground, never the most modest sellers.

I'd price this bass (with the changes) more at the £700 to £800 mark. I bought an all orig 73 for £900 a few weeks ago, and they're still available. Whatever quality the refin, it's going to knock the price into touch.

An all orig 75 in CAR... I've never seen one...

Good luck with the sale... It looks a beauty.[/quote]

Isn't this a 71/72 though? If so makes it slightly more valuable than a 75? My rule of thumb is to half the real value for a refin and then start knocking off little bits more for other non original features. I suppose ultimately it depends on what it sounds and plays like. If I was in the market for something like this I wouldn't think the price was too far off the mark personally but would be looking to negotiate a little.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...