Why become a member? ×

Need to find a good acoustic for £300 - £400 price point

jim_bass

I'm looking to buy a new acoustic guitar and have narrowed it down to the following guitars.

Yamaha CPX-500III
Yamaha CPX-700II (on offer)
Faith Naked Venus

My requirements are as follows:

1. Must have decent pickup/preamp. 99% of the time this will be played on stage di'd directly into the PA system and monitored through in ears. (My current acoustic guitar has a nasty pickup in it and I have to use a lot of eq etc on my pod just to make is sound okay through the pa - I don't want to run this through the pod as I want to keep it simple.

2. Medium jumbo body - no dreadnoughts and no parlour guitars!

3. Nice warm tone - mostly strumming chords, occasionally a bit of picking but not much.

4. Built in tuner - so I can do away with needing pedals

I've played a cpx500 and really liked it, but I've not tried the other 2. I'm not going to be able to get to a shop that stocks any of them so ill be buying blind online.

Any opinions or suggestions? My concen with the naked Venus is the unfinished top - will it scratch too easily for playing live?

I'm a big Yamaha fan when it comes to acoustics, for the price points each one I've played always feels like it should have cost more money.

If you're buying blind though I'd suggest you go for the one you've played and liked. You wouldn't want to be disappointed!

Go for one of the newer Yamahas, the AC series.

If you're really lucky you can get an AC3 - there's no better plugged in tone in my opinion.

The AC1 has a more conventional pickup/preamp but still sounds pretty good - better than the lower CPX models when plugged in.

I went for a Faith Neptune Mahogony in a similar price range recently, and have been very happy with it. Very distinctive styling, really warm midrange tones due to mahogony, great tuner. Ebony fingerboard and quite flat, which is not to all tastes I suppose. I found the Yamahas a little more clinical in comparison, but it's always going to be a very personal choice. You do seem to get a lot of bang for your buck with Faith at the moment.

I went shopping with a friend for a guitar last summer, and we tried a bunch of different instruments including Yamahas, Takamines and Faith naked series. The Faith instruments were head and shoulders above the other guitars *in their price range* and some much more expensive Takamines. I forget whioch model particularly impressed me, but I've only played a couple of acoustics that were as responsive and pleasing as that one (including the Suzuki that I've owned from new since '82).

Are you sure the bodies are unfinished? I understood they were 'naked' in terms of having no adornment and decoration, and the ones I played certainly seemed to have a normal, thinnish finish on.

• 2 weeks later...

going off on a bit of a tangent here (especially as this is a bass forum) but with under the saddle pickups the type or age of strings make next to no difference to the amplified sound, as I have just found out after replacing my 6 month old strings.

Faith every time. All solid woods and most importantly, EVERY Faith guitar has its last QC check done by luthier Patrick Eggle himself. The guy who designed the guitar and provided the training to the guys who constructs them is also the last person to check the guitar before it goes off to the store/customer. If he isn't happy that it represents his name to the best standard, it doesn't go.

That's the kind of company I would want to buy my guitar from!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1421761517' post='2664625']
Faith every time. All solid woods and most importantly, EVERY Faith guitar has its last QC check done by luthier Patrick Eggle himself. The guy who designed the guitar and provided the training to the guys who constructs them is also the last person to check the guitar before it goes off to the store/customer. If he isn't happy that it represents his name to the best standard, it doesn't go.

That's the kind of company I would want to buy my guitar from!
[/quote]

Is that really true? I find it hard to believe given the volumes they shift....? Not calling you a fibber, just wondering how that's really achieved in practise.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1421771744' post='2664817']

Is that really true? I find it hard to believe given the volumes they shift....? Not calling you a fibber, just wondering how that's really achieved in practise.
[/quote]

Yup. Visited the factory and have seen Mr Eggle's workshop myself :-) he's a busy man, that's for sure! Barnes and Mullins are a fantastic distributor and they know a great product when they see it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Check out the 'Turner' guitar range, really great quality for price, top woods. Read the reviews, little heard of but highly recommended. I have a Turner 82CE that retails for £699 but it wipes the floor with any 2 grand Taylor I have ever played, stunning sound and really nice to play. Their cheaper range is awesome, mostly solid wood with quality Fishman pre's.
There is a shop in Blackpool selling the 82CE for £499 new with hard case, absolute gift, would have to spend £1500 for same quality.

Edited by Stephen Houghton