Why become a member? ×

Carpenters at the BBC

Shaggy

Been a few good music programmes on BBC4 this Xmas / New Year - particularly enjoyed The Clash 1977 New Year gig documentary (being the year I started on bass as a young punk.......) :)

One of my "guilty pleasures" has always been the Carpenters, so caught "Carpenters at the BBC" the other night on BBC4, think it's on again late tonight
I was struck by the bass playing (Wes Jacobs as far as I can tell via Google?) - very simple, but melodic and beautifully complementing the music - often not easy in bands where the keyboard is so dominant. Anyone who saw it know what bass he was playing? - a thinline semi-acoustic that looked like a Gretsch of some sort. Really nice tone.

What's to be guilty about? Some of the best pop music produced in the 70's. Not much to beat Karen Carpenter's voice and Richard's production was just right for it. Missed the program but will search it out on iplayer or watch when it's on next.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1420376507' post='2648514']
Been a few good music programmes on BBC4 this Xmas / New Year - particularly enjoyed The Clash 1977 New Year gig documentary (being the year I started on bass as a young punk.......) :)

One of my "guilty pleasures" has always been the Carpenters, so caught "Carpenters at the BBC"
[/quote]

No Guilt

Absolutely fabuloua, what a voice and harmonies to die for

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1420376507' post='2648514']

One of my "guilty pleasures" has always been the Carpenters, so caught "Carpenters at the BBC" the other night on BBC4, think it's on again late tonight
I was struck by the bass playing (Wes Jacobs as far as I can tell via Google?) - very simple, but melodic and beautifully complementing the music - often not easy in bands where the keyboard is so dominant. Anyone who saw it know what bass he was playing? - a thinline semi-acoustic that looked like a Gretsch of some sort. Really nice tone.
[/quote]
No need for guilt and it's definitely a Gretsch.

No need to feel guilty about it, I liked The Wombles. :D

There was something truly magical about Karen's voice.
Hearing every breath as she was singing, and her vocal range was incredible!
The songs were crafted, not just thrown together like so many other artists at the time were doing.

Superb. :)

The Carpenters are great! We play 'Close To You' in our set and we've often heard the audience go "yeah" and sing along.

'Goodbye To Love' was one of the first guitar solos I learnt note-for-note when I was learning to play in the 70s. It's still one of my favourite songs.

Edited by ColinB

Thanks guys - I now feel totally purged of all guilt! I may also start a Mary Hopkin appreciation thread, being as ABBA are royalty on this forum already..... ;)

Great clip above, and I meant to say in the OP how top-notch the production was, considering it was a live show in 1971

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420388133' post='2648681']

I'd better warn you, I'm only one click away from Super Womble... <_<

:D
[/quote]
:) Hehe - mind, you can't fault Mike Batt as a songwriter, I liked "Summertime City" back in the day (a non-Womble one......)