Why become a member? ×

Flats on my 'Ray? Recommendations please.

sammybee

I have had a set of TI flats for the last few months on my Sterling SB14. First time I have used flats and am so far delighted with the results. Plenty of solid bass thump and yet am able to dial in sufficient treble on the preamp if need be so the best of both worlds.
Coming from using light gauge roundwounds they are fine for me but they are low tension.which may not suite everyone.
I have to say the bass sounds absolutely dead played acoustically but they make sense once plugged in!

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1420312376' post='2647997']
Status Hotwire flats 40s - 100s on my Ray (though it is a fretless). Plenty of zing and low - medium tension.
[/quote]

No Ray here, but I do like Status Hotwire flats.

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1420383351' post='2648587']
I have had a set of TI flats for the last few months on my Sterling SB14. First time I have used flats and am so far delighted with the results. Plenty of solid bass thump and yet am able to dial in sufficient treble on the preamp if need be so the best of both worlds.
Coming from using light gauge roundwounds they are fine for me but they are low tension.which may not suite everyone.[/quote]

After enjoying using Chromes on my fretless VM Jazz and hearing great things about TI flats, I've been eyeing TIs for a possible tryout on my Sabre

As I'm often/usually playing tuned a semitone flat, the tension thing I've heard about them makes me wonder if I'd be better off sticking with Chromes, though. :unsure: Are they really a [i]lot[/i] looser?

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1420407734' post='2649117']
After enjoying using Chromes on my fretless VM Jazz and hearing great things about TI flats, I've been eyeing TIs for a possible tryout on my Sabre

As I'm often/usually playing tuned a semitone flat, the tension thing I've heard about them makes me wonder if I'd be better off sticking with Chromes, though. :unsure: Are they really a [i]lot[/i] looser?
[/quote]
No telling for you without trying them, but if I was tuning down then I wouldn't buy TI Flats.

Annoyingly I was all set to put an old set of Chromes on my Ray5 when I discovered that the D wasn't long enough anymore - it had been on something else and I'd cut it short.

But I have now got La Bella White Nylons on it and it is sound fab! really full and plummy.

I might end up keeping them on it.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1420546251' post='2650429']
Annoyingly I was all set to put an old set of Chromes on my Ray5 when I discovered that the D wasn't long enough anymore - it had been on something else and I'd cut it short.

But I have now got La Bella White Nylons on it and it is sound fab! really full and plummy.

I might end up keeping them on it.
[/quote]

I was going to suggest LaBella White Nylons too - fabulous and unusual tone, especially on a fretless. They are pretty low tension though.

P

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1422569343' post='2674289']
Well after a couple of weeks wearing flats, quickly came to the conclusion that the 'Ray is better with rounds. Anybody fancy a set of EB flats cut to fit a 'Ray? going v cheap..
[/quote]

Told you so :)
But never say never.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1422569343' post='2674289']
Well after a couple of weeks wearing flats, quickly came to the conclusion that the 'Ray is better with rounds. Anybody fancy a set of EB flats cut to fit a 'Ray? going v cheap..
[/quote]
I bought a set of those and found them "too flat", even the colour was dull.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1425049052' post='2703413']
TI are dirt cheap at Thomann at the mo. Even with shipping.
[/quote]

Yeah I noticed that - don't know how they manage it! I've had a set of TI flats on my Classic Ray for a couple of years now - the sound is excellent and it's fine for slap also - I used it for a gig a couple of weeks back and was reminded just how good the sound is and the string tension is almost the same as regular round wounds.

I have EB Group 3 flats on a fretless Stingray and would recommend these as well - again the tension is on a par with round wounds but you get great tone, and with the fretless plenty of mwah - and easy on your fretboard.