Why become a member? ×

Best colour for a P

JamesBass

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1420139552' post='2646071']
I'll be putting an order in for a Limelight P soon, and I'm in a similar dilemma.
How about... Charcoal frost: LPB: Firemist ...or Oly'n'Maple?
[/quote]

Charcoal frost a bit dark for my taste. LPB is [i]always [/i]good. I really like the Firemist, especially with the white/mint guard and maple neck.
But the winner is Oly 'n' Maple for me... you just can't beat it, it's a classic combination. And going against the trend, though Oly 'n' Maple is traditionally matched with a rosewood board, I also think it works very well with a maple board, too.

Edited by discreet

@Discreet. I keep telling myself this, then thinking that I should push the boat out with something more unique given I can spec the colour scheme. Just don't know which way to jump and I don't have the cash to do both!

I keep wandering back to the fs section to look at yours, but it's a bit too reliced and yellowed for my tastes. Decisions decisions.....

[quote name='colleya' timestamp='1420146785' post='2646168']
@Discreet. I keep telling myself this, then thinking that I should push the boat out with something more unique given I can spec the colour scheme. Just don't know which way to jump and I don't have the cash to do both! I keep wandering back to the fs section to look at yours, but it's a bit too reliced and yellowed for my tastes. Decisions decisions...
[/quote]

Why don't you buy 'my' 76P instead? I believe Dave (Rumple) might be letting it go... now that's genuine wear.
[url="http://s734.photobucket.com/user/discreet-uk/library/1976%20P-Bass?sort=6&page=1"]http://s734.photobuc...s?sort=6&page=1[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420147302' post='2646175']

Why don't you buy 'my' 76P instead? I believe Dave (Rumple) might be letting it go... now that's genuine wear.
[url="http://s734.photobucket.com/user/discreet-uk/library/1976%20P-Bass?sort=6&page=1"]http://s734.photobuc...s?sort=6&page=1[/url]
[/quote]

Nice plug! Definitely don't have the funds for the real thing, and I'm a jazz bloke at heart really.

As for the original question, I reckon you should keep it classic with P basses. Oly White or the Fiesta red above would both look spectacular.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1420143956' post='2646131']
Another vote for Olympic white and tort... Here's my Limelight :-)

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/63696245@N07/14784181985/][/url]
[/quote]

Gets my vote. Carries the relic vibe really nicely.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1420202630' post='2646612']
Can he do a 'stripped' relic I wonder? It's a bit of a shame he has to relic at all.

Big shout for Capri orange - just bought one from Ishibashi.
[/quote]
Sadly only able to offer a VERY heavy relic currently! I'll drop you and email/text soon Steve and arrange another catch up, I'll show you just how relic'd I mean then!

My only worry would be getting a good tort scratchplate. I know BassDoc got amazing results using the better WD 4 ply tort but, with his absence, I have no idea where you'd get something that good.

Not sure our Merlin-propelled chum in he US is worth the punt but JTUK reckoned there was someone in Kent (IIRC). LPB with white guard is nice.

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1420242805' post='2647215']
Fender has a Mystic Blue that is a new colour.
(Mistic Blue ? -dark blue )
[/quote]

Mystic blue is a similar finish to Lake Placid Blue but with a darker shade of blue (more like Baby or royal blue). It has the metallic undercoat. They also do mystic red which is a darker version of Candy Apple Red :-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1420222573' post='2646888']
I get all indecisive when I try and pick my perfect P.

Black, black and maple. No wait, I mean vintage white, black and maple. Surf green and sonic blue both look AMAZING with a rosewood board. OH and what about lake placid blue, pearl and rosewood?

The choices!
[/quote]

Yip, WHAT is your name? WHAT is your quest? WHAT is your favourite colour?.......Blue....no.....aaaaaaah!

I still like butterscotch blonde on a Fender. Currently have both a jazz and a passive P in that colour (with black guard) and used to have a P deluxe also in that scheme. It seems to work with either rosewood or maple fingerboards for me which not all colours do.