Why become a member? ×

Probass Retrovibe Evo.Opinions please.

lee4

Hi Lee

I've had an Evo for about 8 months I think.Dave at Probass was having a promotional auction,the Evo and Zygote ended up mines.

A really decent and well put together bass,lightweight too.Quite a narrow neck ,38mm nut and 19mm spacing,nice binding job and the
gloss finish doesn't feel too thick and heavy.Easy to run up and down.

It's the Saturday Night Fever finish,Black and white with the inlays looks the part. Finish is well applied,strung thru the body,solid black hardware
and neck attached by 6 screws.

How does it sound ? Loud !!! Seriously that single MM packs a punch.I'd just finished playing the Curbow and swapped to this and BAM. I was
wearing headphones and it took me by surprise :lol: Thought it was an active bass at the time.Right punchy sounds from this.

I've been noodling with it while typing and now I'm thinking about adding the Stinger circuit Dave sells. Cheers Lee you just cost me £30 odd :D

Anything specific just ask away. Happy Hogmanay 2015

I think it'll be Monday before Probass is open again. I tired to catch Dave and ask
but missed him by 10 mins.

Zygote's has a similar neck to the Evo. 38mm nut,24 fret and 19mm spacing. It differs in using 4 screws to attach and it's a tight fit,
you won't slip a fag paper in the join.Same black hardware and strung through body set up.

It has 2 MM humbuckers this time with room for a third :o 2 V and 2 T controls. Very light ,You'll be lucky if this weighs 8lbs.

The trans red finish is a pest to photograph as you can see,tried my best with the £5 camera. I'll try and answer any questions I can folks.
[attachment=179728:Zygote 2.jpg]
[attachment=179729:Retrovibes.jpg]

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1420189649' post='2646422']
Dave brought a few down to a Bass Bash we held in Somerset and they are very nice basses. Great necks and punchy pickups and he personally sets every one up before sending it out.
[/quote]

I was going to go to that one but I think a mahoosive hangover prevented me from going. Dang!

[quote name='Bassbadger' timestamp='1420198161' post='2646533']
Hi Everybody, I'm now back from the Christmas/New Year chaos and I'm in the process of re-opening the ProBass website. I expect to start sending basses out again next week. Any other questions, please ask. Happy New Year!
[/quote]

Whoop :) Although I probably need to sell a couple of basses before I think about buying another...

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1420157603' post='2646315']
I think it'll be Monday before Probass is open again. I tired to catch Dave and ask
but missed him by 10 mins.

Zygote's has a similar neck to the Evo. 38mm nut,24 fret and 19mm spacing. It differs in using 4 screws to attach and it's a tight fit,
you won't slip a fag paper in the join.Same black hardware and strung through body set up.

It has 2 MM humbuckers this time with room for a third :o 2 V and 2 T controls. Very light ,You'll be lucky if this weighs 8lbs.

The trans red finish is a pest to photograph as you can see,tried my best with the £5 camera. I'll try and answer any questions I can folks.
[attachment=179728:Zygote 2.jpg]
[attachment=179729:Retrovibes.jpg]
[/quote]
Which in your opinion is the most comfortable to play?
I ask because my P bass is not as comfy as my Groove,which is a body size issue(the bass,not me!).

Lee4

The Evo is very comfortable to play.For a 34" bass it seems like a short . I don't have the photos to compare them directly
so 2 different photos will have to do :D

1st the Evo and the Curbow are both 34" the white Dean is 30"
[attachment=180029:White Basses.jpg] Here the Curbow is next to a P bass and a 28" Mikro[attachment=180030:Curbow Scale.jpg]

With the Evo being so close in size to the Curbow it's easy to see that it's a compact bass. Still 34" and 24 frets you just don't have to reach far.

Now that might mean wearing the bass higher up. With the limited time I've had recently, mostly I'm just sitting plugged into a wee practise amp,
I can't say for certain how it would be in a gig.

But here's a man who can :)

[url="http://guitarz.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/bass-guitar-review-probass-retovibe-evo.html"]http://guitarz.blogs...tovibe-evo.html[/url]

@kodiakblair - out of interest, how close in character do you find the Evo and Curbow with both seeming to place the pickup in the same place as a Stingray? Granted that the Evo is passive and the Curbow active so obviously quite a bit of a difference but I've wondered for a while about how much of the Curbow sound comes from pickup placement (seeing as I have a Curbow 5).

Mornats

I'd love to tell you tonight but the old girl is baldy in need of TLC.

Like an eejit I threw new strings on her a few months back and then left her.Fret buzz,lousy action and a dead 9v.

Can't see me tackling that the night sorry,but it'll get done in the morning.

Cause she's worth it.

Howie just saw your post.

I've never A/B'd the two..

Another one for the morning I'm afraid :)

Edited by kodiakblair

Lee

With the cheapest nastiest strap I could find (think it came in a lucky bag)
No neck dive. It sat there braw,very well balanced and very comfortable.

Mornats

No an easy thing to compare. The SGC is set up and sends her thanks for reminding me to care for her needs :D
So easy to get playing sweet.

It's really difficult to compare the two, after years of playing anything that was available the SGC was the first I bought
and it must be twenty years or so I've had her. Kinda like your first love it's hard to be objective.

Despite being slightly thicker in profile the Evo has a good easy neck to play,it's light and as I've said balances well.
The two single coils are a nice touch and give the bass a loud vibrant tone. It's a good bass no doubt about that.

The SGC well you know just how good they are.After that wee bit care this morning it's been great,with all this gear I've
had this year picking up the bass I know best and just playing was a breath of fresh air,no fiddling with pots to find sounds.

Howie

Sorry Man. I'll get on to the Curbow tomorrow. ;)

Thanks for doing the comparison (and glad you've given the SGC a little TLC - I bought a 301 new in 1994 and it was utterly fantastic, as have all the ones I've owned since). I actually meant to ask about the Zygote vs. the SGC oops! Same thing applies though I guess except the Zygote doesn't let you do the single coil thing with the pups?

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1420415834' post='2649248']
Thanks for doing the comparison (and glad you've given the SGC a little TLC - I bought a 301 new in 1994 and it was utterly fantastic, as have all the ones I've owned since). I actually meant to ask about the Zygote vs. the SGC oops! Same thing applies though I guess except the Zygote doesn't let you do the single coil thing with the pups?
[/quote]
Hi Mornats,
Although the pickups on the Zygote have their coils wired in series as standard, they are 4-wire output so you can add series/parallel switching to either or both pickups for a huge range of tones. This is a mod I do to all my personal basses...of which there are way too many!