Why become a member? ×

Opinions: Fender Roger Waters Precision.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I played one a while back at Wunjos, didn't have the money for it and spent on a Fender Modern Player Jazz, which I really enjoy playing. The Roger Waters was quite light and with a great tone, love the standard brass nut. Didn't like the half black/chrome looks or the Floyd association.

In my constant struggle to increase my credit rating I have been taking out things on layaway with high deposit/short term/no interest deals that I can easily afford, for the past few years. Saw a Roger Waters bass second hand on GuitarGuitar for £500 and lept on it.

Just wondering how consistently good or bad these basses are?

What was the weight of the ones you tried or owned?

Basically, I really want a 50's precision classic but didn't want to play the new price. So buying this one to change into a 50's P with Anodised Gold Scratchplate, Chrome bridge, Chrome knobs and screws to save a bit of cash.

Cheers.

Edited by Shockwave

Very pleased with mine, 4.11 Kg balances right.. It needed a bit taken out of the nut slots, (doesn't everything?) Since I put Flats on - Status Hotwires & did a complete set-up I haven't had to adjust anything. Usual BBOT bridge & 70's style tuners all work fine, electrics are good, nothing to change but black tuners would look good IMO. Body & neck fit & finish are as good as any USA, frets are finished well & they're the vintage size, not medium jumbo as Fender say, I'm used to the 1 3/4" neck. I love it, sounds just like a great P & plays well, I reckon it's a classy classic black & maple beauty.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1420048439' post='2645211']
I'd like to try one of these too - I kinda like the idea of a big fat P bass neck!
[/quote]
My JHS Vintage Tony Butler V4 has neck that Fleet Air Arm jets can land on!
Cheaper that a Waters sig too.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1420072906' post='2645414']
Can I be the first to say Mex P with a Thick neck and a quarter pounder? There isn't another mex with this neck profile currently but it ain't even close to Roger's current bass
[/quote]
You forgot to mention that it has a capped maple neck, the only bass in the Fender range with this neck construction since the '66 slab Precisions. :)

So it's been a few days with it.

The bass was supposed to be second hand, but its completely immaculate. Not a mark on her, smells like it is right out of the factory. I checked the neck pocket and it states a build date of March 2014. Nut is well cut and quite low, action is low and plenty of travel left in the truss rod.

It's medium weight, not too heavy or too light. The neck is fairly solid. Not the most massive neck I have played, but still pretty substantial. Sounds like a turbocharged P bass with the SPB3 pickups.

Honestly I am not sure whether I will keep it to be honest, as my Modern Player Jazz does cover the P bass tone quite well along with a range of others. Although this bass does the P tone all that much better.

You may see a for sale thread up soon or I may start gigging it next week. We shall see!

Hmm I may be having second thoughts on selling.

Figured I am not a huge fan of SPB3's anymore. I tend to play with a gritty tone, but with higher powered pickups it tends to turn into overdrive mush, which is what I don't want.

Maybe I should swap this out for an SPB1 or equivalent Dimarzio. What do you guys reckon?

R

I`ve just bought a Hot Rod (ex-Wizard) Thumper and it does a 70s Precision tone very well. Scoops some of the mids out a bit, so sharper top-end, which is how I find my 78 sounds so if 70s Precision tones are required, I`d recommend these (I`m not too keen on SD QPs either).

Hmm, I guess I am looking for something that will sound great with muted fingerstyle funk. For want of a better word, low end burp?

Any ideas? I usually stick with Seymour Duncans as I can get them really easily. But if none of them will get what I want, I may consider others.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420285246' post='2647483']
I`ve just bought a Hot Rod (ex-Wizard) Thumper and it does a 70s Precision tone very well. Scoops some of the mids out a bit, so sharper top-end, which is how I find my 78 sounds so if 70s Precision tones are required, I`d recommend these (I`m not too keen on SD QPs either).
[/quote]

This is interesting, hadn't heard about the Hot Rod pickups yet. I had a Wizard Trad in my old (now James') Precision and it was inexpensive and fantastic, so if Hot Rod are doing the same then it'll be well worth it! :-)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1420294877' post='2647666']
This is interesting, hadn't heard about the Hot Rod pickups yet. I had a Wizard Trad in my old (now James') Precision and it was inexpensive and fantastic, so if Hot Rod are doing the same then it'll be well worth it! :-)
[/quote]

There was a post on here a month or two back with a demo of the Thumper - worth digging out.

I had a Roger Waters Precision a couple of years ago. I liked the SDPB3 pup on it. My negative on it, was the 1.75" nut, and the old style size Fender neck. A bit to big for my comfort zone size for a neck. But it was a very well made bass. Everything was a great fit on it. Fender MIM basses are fine, and well made.

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420285246' post='2647483']
I`ve just bought a Hot Rod (ex-Wizard) Thumper and it does a 70s Precision tone very well. Scoops some of the mids out a bit, so sharper top-end...
[/quote]

Maybe I'm wrong, but when I hear the name "Thumper", a mid-scooped toppy tone is not what springs to mind... :unsure:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420729768' post='2652710']
have a listen to the on-line demo - not super clean or anything, but def removes some mids. By the name you`d expect the opposite.
[/quote]

I have! Indeed I commented upon it in another thread on here! :)