Why become a member? ×

My first audition! THE RESULT!

interpol52

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1420408414' post='2649138']
It depends how serious you want to take but there are certain fits that you can't really ignore.
We've been down this with music stands... :lol: and a metal band just wouldn't entertain them, for example... :lol:
Some hotels that will pay top $ wont have leads all over the place, and they wont have them gaffered up the wall
etc etc ...but this is mainly common sense and a degree of respect for the type of gig you are booked to do.
A tatty old 412 with the cloth kicked in ..? no one will bat much of an eyelid in a pub but that is not good enough
when people are paying £100 a ticket at a expensive function...
So, you should know what is expected by what sort of work the band does.... but I would also expect that you'd ask
that sort of stuff before you agreed to audition..?
[/quote]

Great point, how serious are you, do you really want this and why. if it's just a whim, none of this stuff really matters.

When I have auditioned for high level *functions bands, I carry on like this; I show up in character and show them the product they will be getting with me from my playing, stage presence, hair color, down to my boots, accessories, my bass, amp and pedal board. I have been this way since I was 12 years old and started gigging.

Blue

* I have never won a functions band gig. I am not sure why, but I think it's because i come off as the older [i]"well heeled" [/i]60s rocker type. Younger folks don't get it or like it.

Edited by blue

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1420407267' post='2649106']
The last audition I had, the drummer was bloomin awful, the rhythm guitarist couldn`t really play and they were far too loud. On the way out, a keyboard player who was joining them said I was much better than the other guy and felt sure they would offer me the gig.

They offered me it but I nicely declined. Always be nice and tactful with people as you dont know where they or you will turn up next.
[/quote]

I can be a little arrogant or over confident. At a functions audition I had to play Cheap Trick's [i]"I Want You To Want Me"[/i]. After I checked my volume and tone for the song with the band, I turned around and looked at the drummer ( at least 20 years younger than me ) and I said;

[i]"You know the drum and the bass line really swing in this tune. When you count it off, I am going to take off and swing just like the live recording. Will you be able to keep up with me?"[/i]

I don't think he liked my comment and no, he couldn't keep up and didn't have the ability to swing or execute the cadence required for this cover.

Blue

Edited by blue

Its been great reading through all of these replies and thank you to everyone who has given their take on this. The audition will be next week so I will post on here my experience, whether it be good or bad!

I will be taking everything I have read here on board, I will definitely be auditioning them too, [size=4]I will be making sure that they are the kind of people who I want to be in a band with. [/size][size=4]The only things I can fully control are my gear, my appearance, punctuality and knowing the songs inside out. Anything else will be part of the fun and not something I can really prepare too much for.[/size]

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1420444565' post='2649324']Anything else will be part of the fun and not something I can really prepare too much for.[/size]
[/quote]That's a good attitude there and will get you far; good luck, I hope it goes well.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420424454' post='2649282']
Great point, how serious are you, do you really want this and why. if it's just a whim, none of this stuff really matters.

When I have auditioned for high level *functions bands, I carry on like this; I show up in character and show them the product they will be getting with me from my playing, stage presence, hair color, down to my boots, accessories, my bass, amp and pedal board. I have been this way since I was 12 years old and started gigging.

Blue

* I have never won a functions band gig. I am not sure why, but I think it's because i come off as the older [i]"well heeled" [/i]60s rocker type. Younger folks don't get it or like it.
[/quote]

You only have to look at a few show reels to see how function bands tend to work an image, typically.
We always note that even quite a sniffy gig we are going to be smart casual... and that 'dress code' is determined
and agreed at the booking. If they wanted the band in DJ's we'd be thinking it wasn't our sort of gig and we'd pass.
As for serious, well, we take it seriously, and we all deliver upto the point that we want and agreed to.. but we don't chase
any old gig all over the country and we make a good effort to match the audience upto us as well as us upto them.
There is no point chasing the money and falling flat on your face as the agent just wanted their fee and didn't care that the gig
was a complete roasting..
Another reason why we prefer book direct as then we get to ask the right questions and know whether it is a gig for us.
The downside may be that a lot of gigs will employ an events company and wont want the hassle of direct... but we've also
found that a company want us..thro a personal recommendation, and then they have put us together with the events co..
so they don't have to be involved in the finer details and communications anymore. That works quite well, IME, on occasion.

• 4 weeks later...

We've just auditoned for a replacement guitarist and this is what we expect:
First of all: Be on time or early! Be well prepared with songs & learn more than they asked you to! Nothing worse for a band who's paid for studio hire than having someone turn up and waste their time with a half hearted attempt. Be organised with gear. Ask to do a quick soundcheck so you are not too loud or quiet. Dont fiddle in between songs or play with head down; look like you are willing to communicate when playing. Don't brag or seem desperate. Ask questions about expectations of the band commitment, contribution, bookings who does what and dont mention fees til the end or they will think you are only in it for the cash.

Hello everyone! I went to the audition last night and here is what happened.

Got there a little bit early, it was just starting to snow so I half expected a call saying it had been cancelled. The drummer, keyboard player and vocalist were there setting the brand new PA up (a good one too, I was impressed), their own equipment was already good to go. It was upstairs in a rugby club bar; a boomy room that sounded awful from the off, but band member logistics meant that it was a good location for them all to rehearse. I am naturally (crushingly at times) shy and quiet so meeting new people can be a challenge. They were all really amenable and outgoing though so it felt pretty comfortable straight away. So far so good.

They had just found a new guitarist and it was when he arrived and set up that I started to have a few doubts. He thought he was Steve Vai. I am there with a sunburst Fender P bass and he has one of those Ibanez Vai type models with the cut out handle hole in the body. He could play, there is no doubt about that, but there are only so many harmonic dive bombs my ears can take before they start leaking blood. He was a nice bloke though.

I knew the songs inside out so there were no issues there, we actually sounded pretty good to say it was the first run through of the songs. I just had that gut feeling that I wasn't really into it. They play a lot of 1980s songs, OK stuff though, not Bronski Beat or anything. The second thing (after Steve Vai) that turned me off being fully into it was that the drummer had an electronic drum kit. It really suited the music and the Kraftwerk cover sounded great but I like to look at the drum kit, lock in and hear it, last night I was looking at the kit and the sound was coming from the PA whilst the kit was silent. It's the first time I have ever played with an electronic kit, it was a bit weird and it felt unsettling like when you are watching a film and the motion and audio are slightly out of sync.

So we had some chit chat after, I could tell that they were happy with how it went but they didn't really give much away. I asked about rehearsals and gig aspirations and they were pretty much the same as mine. I drove back wondering if I was being shallow because I didn't like the pointy Ibanez and the electronic drum kit.

I got a text today from the drummer asking if I would be interested if they were to offer me the position. I had to go with my gut, I said that I would have to pass because it's not what I am looking for right now. I wished them well and thanked them for the audition invite.

I actually really enjoyed it, but they weren't the band for me. They were really nice people and were really good musicians, I feel a bit guilty for some reason.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1422569923' post='2674305']
Hello everyone! I went to the audition last night and here is what happened...
I actually really enjoyed it, but they weren't the band for me. They were really nice people and were really good musicians, I feel a bit guilty for some reason
[/quote]

A win..! Congratulations on being well-prepared and good enough to be offered the post; doubly so for having the b@lls to politely renounce, being unsure of the suitability. More opportunities will present themselves, and you're now much better armed by the very fact of having gone through this. Your reasons are your own, but they seem credible to me (Disclaimer: I'm an old git, so probably don't count for much...); there's nothing to feel guilty about. If they're that good, they'll find the right person, too. A win..!
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

I've been in a similar audition situations to this thinking it's OK, sounds good but I'm not sure. Nice people but a few too many small things that would tick me off in the long run and politely declined the offer.
I think that you handled this perfectly Interpol. All sounds very positive.

Having tried out, usually succesfully, for a few dep/ permanent gigs I now quite like auditions. The anticipation, learning the material and a little bit of nerves if honest, playing with new people fuels my fantasy pro session bass player ego !
I always turn up well rehearsed, on time and try to not make too many cock-ups,confidant in knowing the songs, sometimes better than the band who have been playing them for ages but not listened to the originals for a while. That can be tricky to deal with. I die a little each time someone says " it's our version" when they're just playing a function band standard badly.
Oh and I try and not make disparaging comments about the setlist until at least half a dozen rehearsals in and I'm becoming part of the furniture.

Edited by lonestar

I think you made the right decision for 3 reasons;[list]
[*]I'm always suspicious of any band that offers up the position that fast.
[*]It sounds like this is more of a "start up" which means gigging would be way out in the future if it happens at all.
[*]I am also suspect of the use of electronic kits even for auditions or rehearsals.
[/list]

I didn't know if you were looking to gig or not. If you are you are you might want to wait until an opportunity with a truly established band with gigs on books. You have a good audition under your belt and will help with your next audition.

A lot of guys will say yes to anything their offered, you didn't. Nice job!

Blue

Edited by blue

Julian,

In your thread opening you stated you were looking for a band or project to join? That can mean a lot of different things.

Can you share with us specifically why you declined the offer? What was the deal breaker? Or was it basically the material, electronic drums and the new guitarist with the 80s Ibanez Steve Vai thing? All those those things would have been serious concerns for me too.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422575368' post='2674362']
Julian,

In your thread opening you stated you were looking for a band or project to join? That can mean a lot of different things.

Can you share with us specifically why you declined the offer? What was the deal breaker? Or was it basically the material, electronic drums and the new guitarist with the 80s Ibanez Steve Vai thing? All those those things would have been serious concerns for me too.

Blue
[/quote]

Hi Blue

I think it was mainly the Ibanez and the electronic drums, the material was fine by me. If it had been an acoustic drum kit, and the guitarist had played a Strat or a Les Paul(for example) and didn't want to be Joe Satriani, then I would probably have said yes. Maybe that makes me shallow but it's like lonestar said in his post, the little things that irk start to mean more over time!

By the way, my dad always called me Blue as a nickname from the age of about 2. I think he got it from a film. The Champ maybe?

Edited by interpol52

It sounds to me you had a good audition and you made the right decision not to join. If a band doesn't feel right, then that's enough of a reason to pass.

I share your suspicion of pointy, modern things too. Not always of course, but the pointiness can indicate a certain style of playing or taste in music. In much the same way, I have never met a Les Paul player who didn't want to play Sweet Child of Mine :D

Which is also a valid reason to pass up a band :D

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1422576501' post='2674368']
Hi Blue

I think it was mainly the Ibanez and the electronic drums, the material was fine by me. If it had been an acoustic drum kit, and the guitarist had played a Strat or a Les Paul(for example) and didn't want to be Joe Satriani, then I would probably have said yes. Maybe that makes me shallow but it's like lonestar said in his post, the little things that irk start to mean more over time!

By the way, my dad always called me Blue as a nickname from the age of about 2. I think he got it from a film. The Champ maybe?
[/quote]

Cool,

You've been around for a while and it served you well. Picking up on "red flags" at auditions is crucial. For me, the electronic drums and the Steve Vai guitarists were definitely red flags.

Blue

BTW, I am not sure why I got the name Blue from. i only use it on this forum. My name is Daryl, that's a proper English name, right? :D