Why become a member? ×

Your musical ambitions, plans & goals for 2015?

Guest Jecklin

I spent most of 2014 rehearsing with 2 new bands with huge amounts of time out because band members were travelling. Both now ready to get out there, so aim for these two is GIG. Had first outing of one band last Saturday and it was totally brilliant, as good a gig as I have ever had, so I am really looking forward to what this year holds.

Also just about to start up a new rock covers band with some decent musos - our very first rehearsal is in just over two weeks - so will hopefully be doing some greatly rewarding stuff in 2015.

Unfortunately I'll probably be quitting playing for good. .. trying to get a band happening here in Carlisle has took me the best part of 6 years (since getting back into it again) and I just can't make anything worthwhile happen. .. plus I doubt I'd have the flexibility to gig that much with my shift work

so looks like that's it. . Fed up with trying. . The hassle... The pillocks... The timewasters... Just fed up

be thankful if you've got something going. . Good or bad. . And hang onto it

Craig

[quote name='crag42' timestamp='1419878945' post='2643547']
Unfortunately I'll probably be quitting playing for good. .. trying to get a band happening here in Carlisle has took me the best part of 6 years (since getting back into it again) and I just can't make anything worthwhile happen. .. plus I doubt I'd have the flexibility to gig that much with my shift work

so looks like that's it. . Fed up with trying. . The hassle... The pillocks... The timewasters... Just fed up

be thankful if you've got something going. . Good or bad. . And hang onto it

Craig
[/quote]

Yes been there in 2014 with two bands. The 3rd band is much more focussed and interesting because of it. Lets hope it continues that way as it's great when it happens. Hope you find something better in 2015

After reviewing all the reply's, it's clear that there are a lot bass players here that are not in the active gigging side of the business.

Seems like there are a lot of [i]"at home"[/i], [i]"non-gig"[/i] recording project guys and music students. Also there seems to be a small population of guys that were never really in the game at all? No criticism, because I understand why a lot of guys don't gig and have no interest in gigging. I think for many of the younger guys the scene has changed so much, [b]it's no longer cool[/b] [b]or fun[/b]. It's why I'm glad I got into this in the 60s, when it was the coolest and most fun thing, to be in a working gigging rock band.

So if I haven't already said this already and you actively gigging guys will get this; for the band to have another fun & respectable gigging year ( 70 shows for 2014 ) and out gigging a minimum of twice a week. There are other things I want to do musically but gigging is my priority.

Happy New Year Guys

Blue

Edited by blue

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1419638042' post='2641581']
Nice thread! Here's mine so far. All subject to flux... as is everything in life ;)

Ambitions and goals:

1) Stop noodling around and dedicate some proper time to productive practice (bass and guitar).

2) Finally get round to accepting a kind family friend's offer of an upright piano. Then learn how to play it. Once we've worked out where to put it...

Firm plans so far:

1) Finish and release an EP with Mike Flynn (Basschat's 'Urb'). We have a couple of tracks to do, then it's done. Very happy with it so far.

2) Mix an album for J-Sonics. Great musicians, so that should be fun.

3) Start new material with singer Paula Rae Gibson (another Mike Flynn collaboration!).

On paper, I'm happy with that :)
[/quote]

Looking forward to all this stuff too Paul - my ambition is purely to keep doing what I'm doing - just maintaining a life/work balance while managing to do some creative stuff AND run a band... it's quite a lot to handle!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1423154218' post='2681548']
My ambition is to have fun, don't let politics get me own and make a few pennies!
[/quote]

I'll go with that! I've found that not buying a newspaper and not watching the news is good for your peace of mind. :)

Well my ambitions were:

- Get the band giiging (line up has been sorted for about 4 months now so its time!)
- Learn to program that drum machine thats been in my cupboard for years
- Record some original tracks in my bedroom

Sadly the middle of February approaches and.....

I want to put together a J-pop/rock inspired pop, rock, jazz, funk fusion band that is simultaneously awesome and terrifying so that even that middle aged twat that "Drunk Dad at a Wedding" dances through every gig, while thinking that physically grabbing all the women in the crowd and trying to drag them onto the dance floor is the funniest thing ever, doesn't even bother.

This years goals?

As far as music's concerned, I have met up with a few guys with the view to getting a band going, playing original stuff, but doing some covers initially to get up & running. All seem pretty keen, so we'll see where it goes from there. Looking forward to being "just the bass player" again. :D

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1419868666' post='2643348']
As a relative newbie, to continue practicing and making the progress I have in the 12 months since I first picked up a bass and most importantly to start playing with other musicians. I am hooking up with a guitarist in the new year and hoping to persuade a drummer mate of mine to come out of retirement and join us and we will then see where that takes us.
[/quote]

Well things are coming along quicker than I expected. Me, lead guitarist and singer/rhythm guitar have been meeting up for about a month and a drummer joins us for the first time this week. All by the magic of 'Joinmyband'!! Time to start rehearsing in earnest now. Exciting stuff!