Why become a member? ×

Paypal Gift Payments

icastle

12 hours ago, Deeper and down said:

I've just been doing a bit of homework to find out the best and safest way to sell my bass on Basschat .  I came across the following advice to update this thread.

Be careful using Friends and family ...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/paypal-scam-victims-warn-against-fraudsters-who-ask-for--family-/ 

Also DON'T use a credit card on Paypay as you loose your Section 75 rights...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/

As this thread is 5 years old and last updated 2 years ago what is the current favoured way to sell safely?

Cheers Paul.

The Section 75 rights only apply when you're paying for something directly with a credit card though, something you won't be doing with a fellow Basschatter (unless you can find a BCer who accepts credit card payments for their items!)

The guidance in that article is don't use Paypal linked to a credit card to pay shops for items/services when you could have just paid them directly with the credit card.

If you're using PayPal to pay a person then doing so via a linked credit card is a good idea as it gives you another possible layer of protection should things go wrong.

Also it's been said thousands of times already, but never use Friends and Family to pay for items unless you're 100% confident they're not going to rip you off. Using F&F is saying to PayPal 'this is not a payment for goods/services'. Ask them to step in subsequently as you didn't receive the goods/services you paid for using F&F in order to defraud them of their fees and you'll get the response you should be expecting! (Hypocritically I have used F&F many times to buy items from here, but only from posters with solid feedback threads and always with the knowledge that if they failed to post the item there was zero comeback).

Edited by AxelF

• 1 year later...

Some advice for sellers mainly of smaller items........ Pay the extra couple of quid to send items with some form of tracking so you can at least see if it gets delivered or maybe where it currently is (pass the cost on to the buyer or at least offer it).  Royal Mail 1st Class Large Letter is just that, a letter with no tracking and only offers £20 compensation assuming RM agree to pay it.  1st Signed For at least tracks at each end with £50 comp and Sepcial Delivery tracks all through the system and is several hundred quid comp I think.   Other couriers will offer tracking for the same reasons.

If a buyer says it was never received, got their money back direct or via PayPal Buyer Protection and there's no tracking, then no one will ever know if they did receive it on time or even if it turned up later than expacted.  Even the basic 'Signed For' lets you know if it was received....... and then maybe even a name.

It's great having good positive feedback for buyers to have a looksee at, but once posted your package is at the mercy of the Royal Mail or some other courier 🙂 

If you collect, deliver or meet up, do so and transfer the money when you are happy and have the item in hand. 
PayPal, bank transfer, cash takes a few seconds and clears instantly. 
for those that don’t, relax grab a coffee. And talk bass until it does… 

• 10 months later...

The best advice would be not to use PayPal at all and just pay using your credit card. I don’t understand the reason to use this system, really. You don’t even have a bank account there, and all it does is withdraws money from your bank card and operate it. It’s safer to pay using your regular card, to my mind.
I always prefer simpler options that help to avoid confusion and money loss. The last time I bought CALIFORNIA FRUIT AND CHEESE BOX for my friend, I had to ask for a refund because it turned out my friend doesn’t eat cheese. Thankfully, I did it in time, and they had not started assembling the basket yet.

Edited by toriaacres

8 hours ago, toriaacres said:

The best advice would be not to use PayPal at all and just pay using your credit card. I don’t understand the reason to use this system, really. You don’t even have a bank account there, and all it does is withdraws money from your bank card and operate it. It’s safer to pay using your regular card, to my mind.

Can private sellers take credit cards?

4 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Can private sellers take credit cards?

Not very easily. PayPal provides an easy intermediary for those who can’t - the buyer can top up their PayPal balance with a credit card and the seller can accept PayPal to their bank account. 

I personally prefer bank transfer as a seller but for reasons of security we always advise buyers here to use PayPal only (NOT gift payments) so there’s some recourse if something goes wrong, which it very rarely does. 

• Like 1

As a buyer, don't use an unsercured payment method unless you are absolutely sure of the seller's bonafides; if you are thinking of using PayPal "Friends and family" to pay someone who isn't friend or family (the clue is in the name), then don't.

Check out the various scammer threads for evidence; me and a number of other people have been scammed and, though I got my money back I simply have that buying rule now.

Of course, you have to take the risk that you'll miss out on buying an item; I've had that happen a couple of times.

Edited by prowla

Off BC I'd simply not use PP F&F to purchase off a private seller.  On BC I'd use PP F&F but tbh I'd just as easily/readily do a bank transfer if I knew the seller was a long standing member with feedback.  I'll confess I've had to turn down a couple of buyers who wanted to buy on BC from me and use PP 'goods/services' because I don't want to be on the the receiving end of a possible scam... if they can't see that I've got 100% great feedback and I've been on since day 1, then I don't need to get into any grief with them.  :( 

All personal choice.  

25 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Off BC I'd simply not use PP F&F to purchase off a private seller.  On BC I'd use PP F&F but tbh I'd just as easily/readily do a bank transfer if I knew the seller was a long standing member with feedback.  I'll confess I've had to turn down a couple of buyers who wanted to buy on BC from me and use PP 'goods/services' because I don't want to be on the the receiving end of a possible scam... if they can't see that I've got 100% great feedback and I've been on since day 1, then I don't need to get into any grief with them.  :( 

All personal choice.  

Yes - it is a conundrum; goods shifts the onus to the seller.

I use PayPal gifts from time to time, but only when a seller has good feedback history. Never had any trouble. 

As a seller I'll never use the business version of PayPal anymore, as the position as a seller is very vulnerable. I've had trouble with this a few times (scammed by buyer, waiting ages for payment to clear).

• Like 1