Why become a member? ×

Paypal Gift Payments

icastle

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1421231071' post='2658596']
Presumably his Paypal account is linked to at least a credit card or bank account, and that would be linked to his address.
[/quote]

Yep. :)

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1421231071' post='2658596']
Is there a legal means of extracting the information from Paypal and from the bank it's linked to?
[/quote]

That's the catch.
The police can get that information, but only as part of a criminal investigation.
The 'default' setting for this sort of thing is that it's a civil matter.

[quote name='BASIC5' timestamp='1421845649' post='2665630']
WOW This is great news Karl!

I'm very happy for you!
[/quote]

Cheers!!!! :D

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1421845668' post='2665631']
Result...so (another) wee spending spree about to commence one presumes?! :D :rolleyes:
[/quote]

5th being pleaded Dougie :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Karfler you highlight an important point through your experience.

If you use a payal account, you should ALWAYS use it with a credit card and NEVER a bank account

The credit card gives you an extra level of protection as your experience highlights - had you used paypal with a bank account it is doubtful whether you would have got your money back

Edited by gareth

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1422550233' post='2674010']

If you use a payal account, you should ALWAYS use it with a credit card and NEVER a bank account

The credit card gives you an extra level of protection as your experience highlights - had you used paypal with a bank account it is doubtful whether you would have got your money back
[/quote]

A close escape for me Gareth, my lesson learned.

I hate paypal...in last transaction in € they took me 55€ fee, then converted € to $...and now I have $ on my debit card...and if I want to spend money I have to convert it to first to HRK (I'm from Croatia) and then to € (if I need €)...and lost more money on converting...and in this process of converting and fees I lost more then 150€...original transaction was 1635 €...and I got less then 1480€...

Stupid paypal...

And if buyer payed me through bank transfer it would be 30€ max bank transfer expenses...

Stupid paypal... :D :D

Edited by albinokiller

• 5 months later...

yep i got ripped off, i paid for a pair of tannoy speakers through Paypall to a guy, studio owner as well, in luton, they never arrived, he never had no proof of sending, he said he would pay me back, as he never sent them in the first place, he just out and out robbed me and was smarmy about it...
So next time i pass luton, im 100% booking in to the studio and if no cash i WILL be taking their worth in mics + fuel + he is getting an Archy before i go !, maybe 2 :angry:

An archy ...
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N7NTHSdquw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=2N7NTHSdquw[/url]

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1422550233' post='2674010']

[/quote]

A debit card works too, even though it's coming out of your bank account.

I bought something last year from eBay, and paid using Paypal. This was as a guest though, because I didn't have a Paypal account. So when the item didn't arrive, and the guy didn't reply to my messages and started to receive other negative feedback from buyers, Paypal didn't want to know.

My bank got my money back within a few days though. I just had to send them screenshots of the transaction pages and his eBay account.

Am a bit late to this convo.
Absolute horror story, Karl!
Glad you got you money back, mate.
I've been seething reading through some of these posts.
As for myself, I've only ever paid by BACS when I've been able to get 3rd party proof that the seller exists.
Other that I've gone to collect, with cash in hand - either to meet in a mutually agreed location or to an address verifiable on Google Maps.
I don't need ANY bass badly enough to trust purchasing via EBay, Gumtree or PayPal from someone I've never heard of.

• 4 months later...

Just a bit of a bump to remind people of the possible dangers of using this particular PayPal service.

We're still seeing complaints about non delivery of goods and 'sellers' disappearing once the money has been sent.

Please be very sure of what you are doing before using the gift option as there's no way of getting a refund once you've used it.

• 3 weeks later...

Curious... Some horror stories here:(

Ive got a bass up and potential buter in europe wants to use paypal. Im insisting not and gave suggest a miney transfer to my bank acc figuring the only thing you can do with an acc number and sort code is pay money in ? Right?

I am well aware that an unscrupulous buyer COULD receive good and falsley claim damages or non delivery through paypal, in which case paypal always side with buyer and regund in full or part, giving no say to the seller.

My terms, you arrange courrier to collect and insure, that way any issues are dealt with by buyer as the ins policy will br in their name nit mine ....
I Know with certainty that thd bass is everybit as ive said it is, it will also be packed bomb proof, so as i say, im doing my part....

Anyone know any problem with using direct bank transfer supplying your acc number and sort code ?

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1450632351' post='2934458']
Curious... Some horror stories here:(

Ive got a bass up and potential buter in europe wants to use paypal. Im insisting not and gave suggest a miney transfer to my bank acc figuring the only thing you can do with an acc number and sort code is pay money in ? Right?

I am well aware that an unscrupulous buyer COULD receive good and falsley claim damages or non delivery through paypal, in which case paypal always side with buyer and regund in full or part, giving no say to the seller.

My terms, you arrange courrier to collect and insure, that way any issues are dealt with by buyer as the ins policy will br in their name nit mine ....
I Know with certainty that thd bass is everybit as ive said it is, it will also be packed bomb proof, so as i say, im doing my part....

Anyone know any problem with using direct bank transfer supplying your acc number and sort code ?
[/quote]

I've done it loads of times on here. Payments both ways. Also, paid money straight into sellers accounts at my local branch with the given information. Not had any problems either way.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1470585666' post='3106909']
Paypal makes it too easy for an unscrupulous buyer to claim back money after the transaction.

This cautionary sounding thread should be un-stickied IMO.

Sometimes Paypal Gift is the safest way to proceed.
[/quote]
Or "Pay Friends" is another option. That way there's no fees for either party.

• 1 year later...

Today I persuaded a seller to use PayPal instead of bank transfer. I rung up Paypal and got a full breakdown of the fees (3.4% + 0.5% for cross border transaction + £0.20 for currency conversion...this last bit is important) and added this to the very fair, in fact very generous price he was selling his bass for. He'd had a less than great experience with them in the past but kindly tried them once more to make me happy.

Apart from the rookie error of working out the fees on the original amount and not the larger amount Paypal paid him within a pound of the agreed price. All well and good so far.

Paypal then asked if he wanted the money in stirling or euros. Euros he said. At this point Paypal paid him about 20eros below the conversion rate on all the sites we both checked.

He was very good about it and didn't blame me at all but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I couldn't in good conscience recommend them in similar situations (cross border/currency). Basically I paid him £26 more in order for him to get nearly £20 less.

I have written to them and asked for an explanation and will report back if I hear from them. I do use them a lot when paying for things online...maybe they'll see me as a valued customer...well a customer at least.

• Thanks 2

I haven't quite got to the bottom of this. I've had two replies from PayPal this morning, the 2nd within 30mins of me replying to the first which is encouraging. It seems the problem comes when converting the money within PayPal. They charge 2.5% if you convert all or part of your balance. What I can't quite understand is whether you can just withdraw it to you payment method automatically converted without the fee.

I'm wondering if the seller and I had arranged for him to invoice me in Euros if the fees conversion fees would have been less (the 20p mentioned in the post above). If i get a clear 3rd reply from PayPal I'll update this. I'm working all weekend so I probably won't have time until early next week. 

I've been making lots of transactions using PayPal "Friends and family" free of charge payment. If, like me, you are in the Euro zone and wish to pay in GBP, the only "fee" you'll have is the exchange one. But, if you pay in Pounds and then convert it back to Euros onthe other end (or the other way), then, you'll pay extra stupid conversion fee. Using a bank transfer will be the same as there always will be exchange fee. 

What I don't understand is why you paid in Pounds when the other side asked for Euros ?!? You should have paid directly in Euros and save time.

Next time, if you want to use the fully insured PayPal payment, ask the seller to send you a payment request and add yourself the extra fee by the "Friends and family" system : this way, it will be hassle free. 

8 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I've been making lots of transactions using PayPal "Friends and family" free of charge payment. If, like me, you are in the Euro zone and wish to pay in GBP, the only "fee" you'll have is the exchange one. But, if you pay in Pounds and then convert it back to Euros onthe other end (or the other way), then, you'll pay extra stupid conversion fee. Using a bank transfer will be the same as there always will be exchange fee. 

What I don't understand is why you paid in Pounds when the other side asked for Euros ?!? You should have paid directly in Euros and save time.

Next time, if you want to use the fully insured PayPal payment, ask the seller to send you a payment request and add yourself the extra fee by the "Friends and family" system : this way, it will be hassle free. 

It would be cheaper using someone like transferwise if you want to pay in pounds and send euros, you can specify what amount the person the other end gets (in euros) and it charges you whatever is necessary. The transfer rate is better than paypal and the fees are cheaper.

There isn't any protection as it is a bank transfer, but that is also true of friends and family paypal as well, so it is similar.

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

The seller’s price was in pounds. I did consider sending the fees as a friends payment but I worked out the fees in advance and just added it to the price to try to make it easier for the seller. 

Anyway, lesson learnt.

Cash is king, even when you do a face to face transaction and decide to use Paypal things can go wrong, I had a guy drive 100 miles to my house for a Sandberg California TT (which I wish I’d never sold!) and pay by Paypal, only for the transaction to be one of the randomly picked transaction by Paypal which take 24 hours to clear, and can be cancelled by the buyer until that time.   Cash cash cash

• 2 years later...

I've just been doing a bit of homework to find out the best and safest way to sell my bass on Basschat .  I came across the following advice to update this thread.

Be careful using Friends and family ...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/paypal-scam-victims-warn-against-fraudsters-who-ask-for--family-/ 

Also DON'T use a credit card on Paypay as you loose your Section 75 rights...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/

As this thread is 5 years old and last updated 2 years ago what is the current favoured way to sell safely?

Cheers Paul.

Edited by Deeper and down

@Deeper and down Check out the feedback thread, if the buyer/seller has good positive feedback from others on the site, then you know you're in safe hands. Otherwise, if you're uncertain, then try and collect with cash or pay via PayPal good payments and know that the 4% is your payment for a safety net if things goes sideways.

Also, check out the buyer/sellers profile, see if they are active members that contribute to threads regularly, if so, again you're probably in safe hands, if the buyer/seller is brand new to the site, maybe try and talk to them via PM, get a vibe for who they are and if they know the gear they're buying/selling. If ANYTHING smells fishy, abort! Or, at the VERY least, use PayPal goods and pay the 4% for that important safety net!

Thems be my advice!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2