Why become a member? ×

Ampeg "bridged cable"

DanFold

'Ow do!

On the SVT 4, do you need just the 1 "bridged cable" from that particular output or do you need 2 if you're linking cabs? Sick of my AD200b blowing up on me, sick of spending a fortune on valves and them ampeg's sound good. Not sure if I'll get the volume I'm after with an 8ohm cab on each side of the SVT 4. Can't find one to try either in and around Bolton.
Ta!

If your cabs have two sockets you'll need two cables - one from the bridged output and another to run from the first cab to the second. If you're not running the amp bridged you can run the two cables direct from the amp to each cab.

I'm not sure what the score is with the SVT 4 - with the SVT 3 it was a common complaint that it didn't really sound as loud as the wattage would suggest. However 600w in normal mode should be plenty loud enough for anything if you're using two cabs with multiple drivers! :)

Sorry, I ment will I need 2 "bridged cables" to link the cabs or just 1 from the amp to the first cab and any old speaker cable to the second cab?

And believe it or not, I've sometimes struggled with my 200w Orange for volume! The battery died in the DB meter before we found out how loud the gig was. Anyone know the volume difference between the SVT 4 and Orange AD200b?

[size=4][quote name='DanFold' timestamp='1419281087' post='2638380']
Sorry, I ment will I need 2 "bridged cables" to link the cabs or just 1 from the amp to the first cab and any old speaker cable to the second cab?

And believe it or not, I've sometimes struggled with my 200w Orange for volume! The battery died in the DB meter before we found out how loud the gig was. Anyone know the volume difference between the SVT 4 and Orange AD200b?
[/quote]

Good evening, Dan...

I believe there's a terminology problem here. I, for one, don't recognise the term 'bridged cable'. What exactly are you wanting to do..? Simply connect two cabs to one amp socket, or something else..? Here's the Pdf owner manual for your amp, if that helps...
[url="https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ampeg.com%2Fpdf%2FSVT4PRO.pdf&ei=xImYVM_hG-O57ga2oYDwDg&usg=AFQjCNFpT0hz33g0FE8_VI77LreO8gotRw&sig2=TTIL5mmnQXnwAZ9KaMdWng&bvm=bv.82001339,d.ZGU"]Ampeg SVT-4 Pro User Manual...[/url]
If you're trying to connect 2 cabs to the 'Bridge' O/P, connect one with an ordinary Speakon cable, then 'daisy-chain' to the second cab from the second Speakon on the cab. This will only work, of course if at least one of the cabs has two Speakon connectors. If they each only have one, you'll need a box in between with 1 Speakon in and 2 Speakons out.
As to volume with an AD200b: that's a 200w valve amp. We use a similar amp (Hiwatt DR205...). The volume produced depends on the cab, but with 'normal' cabs such as Ampeg 8x10, it goes concrete-crushing loud. The SVT-4 is SS, and produces 1600w, bridged. If you've the cabs to support that, it may be technically louder than the Orange, but the walls will be flattened of all but WWII bunkers, and [i]they'll[/i] be cracked. If an Orange or your SVT isn't loud enough into suitable cabs, there's a serious problem somewhere, I would say, or you're trying to play stadiums without FOH support. Whatever the figures of a db meter, that'll be stupidly loud. Just my opinion, of course; your band may be in the process of inventing a new phenomenon as yet unheard of.
Hope this helps.[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

I have read the manual that's why I know you need the special cable for the mono bridged output, that's why I called it the "bridged cable"
What I wanted to know, do I need 2 of them for both cabs, or just the one for coming out of the bridged output of the amp. And a good speaker lead to link the cabs. I believe the sound quality is different using this special cable from amp A or B, it's just for the bridged output. It's not really a special cable, it's just wired different.

When we've played some Of the music festivals, I've just took my head and run it through provided 8x10's, I've had the master vol right up. Usually around 2 thirds for a rehearsal.

[quote name='DanFold' timestamp='1419285016' post='2638430']...It's not really a special cable, it's just wired different...[/quote]

I don't believe so; compare page 5 of the manual to page 11. It's wired the same as for the separate amp o/ps. (1+, 1-...), ie: standard Speakon pinning.

That's weird - the manual says "Connect a heavy duty speaker cable terminated with a Speakon connector [b][pin 1+ = “+”, pin 1– = “–”][/b] from the SVT-4 PRO’s Mono Bridge Output jack to the input jack[font=sans-serif][size=4]
of a speaker cabinet capable of handling the extremely high output power" which is a standard speakon cable. But [url="http://www.ampeg.com/faq.html"]here[/url] it says

[quote][b]Q7) When I use my SVT-4PRO mono-bridged the volume is not what I expected for a 1600 watt amplifier. What's wrong?[/b]
Check your Speakon plug, it should be wired for [b]+1 (positive) and +2 (negative)[/b] on the amp end. The cabinet end should be wired in the standard fashion, which is +1 (positive) and -1 (negative). Be sure to depress the stereo/mono-bridge button[/quote]
and also
[/size][/font]
[quote][font=sans-serif][size=4]

[b]Q14) What kind of speaker cable is required to mono bridge my SVT-IV PRO?[/b]
The prefered cable is 12 gauge with Speakon to Speakon connectors. Be sure to wire the Speakon on the "amp" end for +1 (positive) and +2 (negative). On the "cabinet" end wire the Speakon for +1 (positive) and -1 (negative). It is a good idea to label each end so there is no confusion on the gig.[/size][/font]

[/quote]

I'd assume the manual is wrong, as the FAQ is saying to use the usual wiring for bridged amps. In fact, given the contradiction, I think I'd check this with Ampeg first. But if your cabs have two inputs they'll be wired in parallel so a standard speaker lead [i]should[/i] be fine - although with the confusing info Ampeg are supplying I'd like to double check that as well. :rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/iH0kVA-ZvPQ

It's actually +1 - +2

Didn't realise it was that simple to make em. Only just found this particular video. Sort of answers my question too. A mono bridged cable from the amp to cab 1, then a normal decent speaker cable will be fine from cab to cab.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1419287970' post='2638495']
That's weird ...
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]
Excellent; well done for sorting out that minefield..! We live and learn something every day. Enjoy your bridged amp; wise folks use ear protection in high volume situations. ;)[size=4] [/size]