Why become a member? ×

Alex James?

stingrayPete1977

Saw them live in the early days and thought he was great, and whenever Ive had to cover them, the lines never bore me.

Think he was an important ingredient in the Blur sound, unlike Oasis at the time, Blur where very bass driven, which made them exciting to me.

Need to try some of his cheese

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1419179264' post='2637277']
I also remember reading an interview where he was asked what bass he played, and in a rhetorical gesture shrugged and asked the tech, who informed him that it was a Stingray.

He went on to state that to a bassist, the choice of bass was no more important than the choice of pen is to an author. I was a bit outraged at this at the time, but am coming round to that viewpoint more and more.
[/quote]

But in those times in the 90s it was "cool" to pretend to not know anything technical at all, remember?
I used to buy Guitarist magazine at the time and I would dispair... all the BS "oh, I don't know what I'm playing"... :rolleyes:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1419363022' post='2639210']

But in those times in the 90s it was "cool" to pretend to not know anything technical at all, remember?
I used to buy Guitarist magazine at the time and I would dispair... all the BS "oh, I don't know what I'm playing"... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Yeah, like I say, asking the tech was a rhetorical gesture - not genuine, just done to make a point.

• 3 months later...

My little boy who is 4 loves Blur! We had the Best of Blur album on in the car today and that prompted me to learn Boys and Girls and Charmless Man this evening. Great bass lines, really good fun to play too. Boys and Girls has that disco type line that we all know but Charmless Man is pretty good too, the feel of it took a while for me to get right.

Good P bass tone too, solid as a rock.

• Like 1

With regards to the "What do I play?" question and the statement about authors and pens- I have read the same about photographers, they are obsessed with gear when they start out then become so blasé and state that equipment doesn't matter. Finally, when they become proficient at their craft, they get obsessed by gear to see what will give them and edge and make their job easier.........

I think this is true of any profession.

There were loads of bass players in bands in the 90's with this 'oh really, is it a Fender I'm holding in front of this Ampeg stack' attitude. It was all about image and their bass techs were probably working their asses off. Noel Gallagher once said the Oasis bass player turned up with a 5-string and he told him to get rid of it. Listen to the first album and there's a detune on 'Up In The Sky'.
Regardless, I like Alex's stuff and he seems a decent guy.

Never been a particular fan of blur, or similar bands.

Off topic slightly, Alex does do a good show on Classic FM - [url="http://www.classicfm.com/radio/shows/alex-jamess-date-night/"]http://www.classicfm.com/radio/shows/alex-jamess-date-night/[/url]

Had to learn "Parklife" recently, not too taxing, quite boring on it's own in fact. But when we all play it the punters usually go nuts for it. I like Alex's playing, the perfect antidote to Graham Coxon's punk/hardcore leanings. Graham once said it was his job to "f**k up Alex's funk" but they work well together. Blur have just been announced for the Isle of Wight festival so I'll get to experience them live for the first time. Looking forward to it. 😁

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1419178798' post='2637261']
I know the term underrated is thrown about and clichéd but it really does apply to Alex massively. Great Stingray and Precison tones, inventive, melodic basslines. He's a really nice bloke in real life and cool as f*** to boot! :)
[/quote]

I agree 100% with this. A great bass player, a thoroughly nice chap AND I bought some of his rather lovely cheese 😜

A friend was at school with Alex James and told me that it's not actually his real name. I think he's called Dave really, but changed it because he felt uncomfortable having two Daves in the band. I wouldn't want to vouch for the truth of this in any way, I have to say, but there it is all the same.

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1427663319' post='2732866']
A friend was at school with Alex James and told me that it's not actually his real name. I think he's called Dave really, but changed it because he felt uncomfortable having two Daves in the band. I wouldn't want to vouch for the truth of this in any way, I have to say, but there it is all the same.
[/quote]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Alex+James

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1448027310' post='2912452']
Interesting, inventive player. 'Girls and Boys' particularly is a great homage to the likes of John Taylor without descending into pastiche.
[/quote]

Yep. Really tight baseline

It's that octave esque staccato playing

Need to up my game ha

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1427663319' post='2732866']
[/quote]

Alex is his middle name, first name Steven not Dave.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1427584576' post='2732100']
There were loads of bass players in bands in the 90's with this 'oh really, is it a Fender I'm holding in front of this Ampeg stack' attitude. It was all about image and their bass techs were probably working their asses off. Noel Gallagher once said the Oasis bass player turned up with a 5-string and he told him to get rid of it. Listen to the first album and there's a detune on 'Up In The Sky'.
Regardless, I like Alex's stuff and he seems a decent guy.
[/quote]

One of Oasis's secrets is that the bass parts are often played by Noel Gallagher in the studio. This is clearly so he can stamp the simplistic no-frills basslines he wants onto the recording leaving the Oasis bass player of the moment to follow on.

Edited by cytania

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1419178798' post='2637261']
I know the term underrated is thrown about and clichéd but it really does apply to Alex massively. Great Stingray and Precison tones, inventive, melodic basslines. He's a really nice bloke in real life and cool as f*** to boot! :)
[/quote]

I also saw him featured on one of those house programmes, and not only does he have a beautiful farmhouse, complete with home studio and a library, but his wife is gorgeous, and seems a very nice woman too. Good luck to him!

• 4 years later...

Thread resurrection time. Heard Girls & Boys on the radio earlier and thought would give it a go - man what a great bassline to play, though have to admit my fingers are tripping over each other much like a Laurel & Hardy film. I`ll get it, but for now have decided learning it on my Jazz bass is the way forward.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Thread resurrection time. Heard Girls & Boys on the radio earlier and thought would give it a go - man what a great bassline to play, though have to admit my fingers are tripping over each other much like a Laurel & Hardy film. I`ll get it, but for now have decided learning it on my Jazz bass is the way forward.

Always loved that bass line. I used to know it at the time but have forgotten it. Thanks for that I will re learn it now. Happy thread resurrection. I like to re invent old threads as they are still just as relevant now as they were.