Why become a member? ×

Always loved this song - Now the new band is going to do it!

Mykesbass

The original needs more than our 4 piece can throw at it but this version of Stay With Me (Baby) is hopefully achievable and my singer loves it and will do a cracking job on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9mDyFgh1o

there's always this version when we get the full horn section in years to come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACFlm7vX624

What a great song and a great singer. Saw Terry Reid a few times. He used to be a regular at the Marquee. Unfortunately remembered more for turning down Plant's job in Led Zep and Gillan's in Deep Purple. He was (hopefully still is) a real class act.

There's also great cover versions of this by Stevie Marriott and Sharon Tandy.

Not heard many bands cover this, should go down well.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419178806' post='2637262']
How good is your singer?

The problem with this number is the power of Lorraine Ellison's performance. She's the only one I've heard that nails it. She's singing it, everyone else (including Sam Brown) shouts it.
[/quote]
I couldn't agree more. This is powerful singing and not shouting and how it's meant to be done.

[media]http://youtu.be/6pDBuPK0_DU[/media]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419178806' post='2637262']
How good is your singer?

The problem with this number is the power of Lorraine Ellison's performance. She's the only one I've heard that nails it. She's singing it, everyone else (including Sam Brown) shouts it.
[/quote]
[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1419179063' post='2637270']
I couldn't agree more. This is powerful singing and not shouting and how it's meant to be done.

[/quote]

I have always loved the original (and best) but was looking for a different take on it that could be attempted in a band setting without horns and strings which is why I like the Terry Reid take on it. Also, with Sam Brown, yes, she hollers some of it but I thought she showed a lot of control and pure singing in a very powerful performance.

Yes, I think my singer is pretty amazing, and when she gets the chance as on a song like this she really comes in to her own. I'll report on progress in the new year (including a rehearsal recording if we crack it)!!

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1419201098' post='2637615']
Duffy does a pretty good version in the soundtrack for The Boat that Rocked.

[/quote]

Sorry Bob, but that doesn't do it for me on so many levels - vibrato, phrasing, some of the arrangement, but I love the fact that we all get things so differently!

The problem with this song is that there is no song. It's 10% song and 90% performance and the power of Lorraine Ellison's performance puts this song out of reach.

IMO Bette Midler comes the closest. Almost but not quite.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419249900' post='2637927']
The problem with this song is that there is no song. It's 10% song and 90% performance and the power of Lorraine Ellison's performance puts this song out of reach.

[/quote]

The band has got to be upto it as well.....
I think you'll have to be quite brutal with it in regards to whether it works and
not get carried away as a song that you'd really like to do.

It is very definitely a vocal feature but the band has to be able to carry it off
with power and dynamics, which is why it tends to be produced..and those songs are
hard to do slimmed down..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419362484' post='2639195']
The band has got to be upto it as well.....
I think you'll have to be quite brutal with it in regards to whether it works and
not get carried away as a song that you'd really like to do.

It is very definitely a vocal feature but the band has to be able to carry it off
with power and dynamics, which is why it tends to be produced..and those songs are
hard to do slimmed down..
[/quote]

Agreed, and pretty much why I highlighted the Terry Reid version. Don't worry, I'm a realist, if it isn't going to work it will be dropped like a hot brick!