Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='1269203' date='Jun 14 2011, 08:54 PM']That's why I like the all graphite ones. As Rich (Out To Play Jazz) suggests ones which are foam rather than wood encased in graphite. Harsh? Thank you. That's what I want. Virtually unlimited cutting brutality on tap. I don't have to use it and I frequently don't, but it has enabled me to have the requisite amount of cut when I need it in demanding situations. I've never experienced this from any other bass I've tried other than all graphite ones.

When I tried a Mark King (which was the graphite skin version) it just didn't have it though it was a fantastic bass. Even when I played a normal S2, it just wasn't the same. Hey, I'm biased. I love my buzzard. Plus I thought the Stealth I tried a few years ago was great as well. I fully suspect that I'm in a minority of one with this statement, but this is what does it for me. :)[/quote]

I'm not sure if my amplification affects my opinion. At the time I had my Stealth I was using Trace Elliot amps and even then, flicking the bright switch was like a cheesewire to your ear. With it off, the bass sounded great. I now have an Ashdown Mark King amp which really gets those high frequencies singing, so I expect it would be too much to expect a Stealth to sound palatable through that with the bright switch on! I have to say, I love a bright, up front sound but I have never been in a situation where the brightness the Stealth could deliver is needed. If you listen to the Status sound Mark gets on the 'Physical Presence' live album, thats the sort of sound and mix I like to go for.

I suppose I should be thankful my bandmates love that sound and style of playing as it's kept me away from long periods pedalling the root note for years! :)

I have the Big Country and Level 42 records spinning now, ready for the bass coming. I think I'll treat myself to one of Stuart Clayton's Level 42 books to brush up on a few tunes. I really want to learn '43' and 'Dune Tune'.

I know what you mean about amp colouration. That might have been some of the problem at the time. However, I'm taking an example of me trying to play rather intricate delay effects to compete in a 2 guitar band. That's when you need some serious limb hacking cut on your signal. As I said, most of the time I don't use it as the instrument's natural tone is enough in most circumstances.

However, I still think that Status make exceedingly good cakes and there isn't a bad bass among the entire range.

[quote name='sgh' post='1275230' date='Jun 19 2011, 08:41 PM']My new Series II Headed built in 1991 :)
[/quote]
I'd love to see a family shot with your KBs I and II. Some beautiful basses.

Edited by BassBus

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1267631' date='Jun 13 2011, 07:10 PM']Stenobass, if I recall correctly you have the Series II with the lacewood top? If so, that comment is very much appreciated as that Series II is one of the best I've seen so I see my bass is attracting compliments from those in a position of knowledge and taste! :)

I am listening to my Level 42 records in time for it arriving on friday and I think I will give it a good playing when it gets here. It hasn't been played since it last went to Status so it should be cleaned to perfection and set up excellently, as the last keeper has merely held the bass and not played it. All I have to do now is hide the Kubicki, because if my lass spots three basses on the landing she'll know I've bought another one![/quote]

Hi Chris,

that's me indeed, thanks again for your comment! You should have received your Series II and I do hope you enjoy it, it's a real beaut!

Cheers

It's about time I stuck my basses on the sofa and took a few pics... here's my ickle Status collection:

Left to right: Groove fretless (the last "real" Groove ever made); Retroactive J; Shark 5; Groove fretted

Love 'em all :)

[quote name='Wil' post='1313399' date='Jul 22 2011, 11:38 PM']Lovely shark, looks great in seafoam.[/quote]
Cheers dude, my photography skills do none of them justice. The fretless is pristine and a gorgeous "midnight wine" but the pics just don't show it well!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SkinnyMike' post='1313610' date='Jul 23 2011, 10:37 AM']Gotta love that retroactive Mert! Still wan't one after all this time.[/quote]
Course you do, that's coz you have taste :)

Fogged the Shark and Groove fretted last night and last week, they sound massive :)

My brother sent me a link to a video of a Status Graphite bass being played on youtube yesterday. He said "that looks good, like your bass". I told him I'd watched that video many times and I loved the bass and I'd always wanted to own one that looked like that! When I told my brother the serial number of my bass, #487, it transpired that my bass was the bass in the video!

So now I know it's been to South America on tour, and spent most of it's life in storage, which explains how it's in such amazing condition!

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Conan' post='1331992' date='Aug 8 2011, 01:12 PM']Cool story Chris! It also looks very like the Status on the covers pics of Level 42's "A Physical Presence". Nice bass mate![/quote]

And I reckon that bass is probably the one played in the video below, which looks superb.

Edited by Chris2112

Here's mine, a Status Energy custom shop jobbie. One of the finest basses I've ever played and has an amazing b string. Flawless in pretty much every way....those boys down Essex sure are great craftsmen :) It's the only status I've actually seen and played though!