Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='259247' date='Aug 10 2008, 12:48 PM']Anyone got any shots of their Status graphite necks on other basses please? Just about to pull the trigger on one for my Stingray and need to whet my appetite![/quote]

Here's one.

fantastic, the tone difference was alot more than i was expecting, the bass has alot more growl (yup, a stingray with [i]more[/i] growl!) and just pretty much everything sounds just..better! the harmonics of the sound are so much more pronounced, its just exactly what i want a stingray to sound like. i dont think il be buying another bass for a very long time

iv stuck my stingray neck onto the olp and give that a quick setup too, doesnt sound too bad but sounds a bit cheap when compared to the statiray :), it wont get played much but at least it gives the 'ray's old neck some use!

Edited by BassManKev

the neck seems dead straight, i have the action at my usual 2-3mm and its great, spent a good hour or so getting the intonation right and now its just superb. truss rod needed loosening just slightly but thats all

Edited by BassManKev

the olp/status was okay, but i certainly preffered the sound of the stingray 5 with original neck, something about the olp just sounds a bit, well, cheap and im not mad about the feel of it, cant pin what it is. now they have swapped, obviously i think the 'ray is amazing, the olp again doesnt really get close to how the stingray sounded with its wooden neck, but its good enough i think. i have to say i HATE the olp bridge

Edited by BassManKev

Cheers Rich!!!

Many thanks for the uploads - appreciate it! That red tinted Series II was bought down at Mansons in Exeter many years ago. I had it for around a year or so and then did a straight swap with a great guy from London called Mike Foster for the ice blue 2000 - he then moved to Thailand and sold off his collection, he had some lovely pieces, Sadowskys, and a lovely Pedulla Buzz as I recall. The red tint bass went down to the Gallery and then, I believe, it went to Portugal. Anyone remember `Curiosity Killed The Cat' - their bassist had one exactly the same.

Looking at the red tint SII, it must've been a very close serial number to my old #402 as it even has the little red led for the active on/off switch and the same hardware. Must have been a 1988 build or somewhere around there.

Aha! A couple of Nick's pics escaped, as the bass looked so much like one of mine in the photobucket thumbnails!

Here's the SII with ebony board...

There, my work here is done! :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='BassManKev' post='260255' date='Aug 11 2008, 07:06 PM']the olp/status was okay, but i certainly preffered the sound of the stingray 5 with original neck, something about the olp just sounds a bit, well, cheap and im not mad about the feel of it, cant pin what it is. now they have swapped, obviously i think the 'ray is amazing, the olp again doesnt really get close to how the stingray sounded with its wooden neck, but its good enough i think. i have to say i HATE the olp bridge[/quote]

Interesting to read all your comments on it. I am sure the neck sounds fantastic on the musicman, I agree that the difference is quite pronounced. I must agree with the comment on the olp/status although that bass really came into it's own in a band situation, something about the sound just cut through the mix like a knife :) Are you in a band yourself? If so it will be interesting to see how you find your first practice with it.

Well spotted about the harmonics too, the olp/status was fantastic for any bits of jaco, I have to work so much harder to get them to ring out on my jazz.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='260581' date='Aug 12 2008, 08:42 AM']The all graphite Series 2000 does it for me. Why did they not make more of these? Did people not like the look or were they too expensive?[/quote]

The all-graphite S2000 was a single piece moulding version of the SII, basically. I think process-wise they're cheaper to make than the wooden laminate bodied basses. I guess the modern equivalent would be the all-graphite Stealth II. I still GAS for one every now and again (black graphite with gold hardware!)

Interestingly, the Stealth II still has the 2-band preamp so it'll sound just like an S2000! Very bright and with huge bite.

Something like this one...

[quote name='dr.funk' post='260587' date='Aug 12 2008, 08:50 AM']Interesting to read all your comments on it. I am sure the neck sounds fantastic on the musicman, I agree that the difference is quite pronounced. I must agree with the comment on the olp/status although that bass really came into it's own in a band situation, something about the sound just cut through the mix like a knife :) Are you in a band yourself? If so it will be interesting to see how you find your first practice with it.

Well spotted about the harmonics too, the olp/status was fantastic for any bits of jaco, I have to work so much harder to get them to ring out on my jazz.[/quote]
nah not in a band at the mo and dont think i will be this year either, my uni course is going to be VERY demanding this year, and i wont have time for much else really. its probably because of my natural dislike of passive basses that makes me not like the olp's sound tbh. but i still cant get enough of the status blue'ray (im trying out different names, its a bit long winded saying the whole title!), id love to have a jam and see how well it performs there, every note is crystal clear, i can imagine it slices through the mix like a hot knife through butter :huh: