Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='BassManKev' post='260819' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:46 PM']nah not in a band at the mo and dont think i will be this year either, my uni course is going to be VERY demanding this year, and i wont have time for much else really. its probably because of my natural dislike of passive basses that makes me not like the olp's sound tbh. but i still cant get enough of the status blue'ray (im trying out different names, its a bit long winded saying the whole title!), id love to have a jam and see how well it performs there, every note is crystal clear, i can imagine it slices through the mix like a hot knife through butter :)[/quote]

That's exactly how it performs, I used mine doing some shows with Bonnie Tyler a couple of years ago (couple of arenas and large halls) and it just did the business, no woolly notes, even from the low B. Went thru a Mesa Boogie 400+ and an Ampeg 8x10....sure was trouser flappingly lovely!

Mike

iv never heard a low B like it :)

heres a few pics i took earlier, phone camera quality im afraid, cliche but pics just don't do it justice

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29516223@N06/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29516223@N06/[/url]

I still don't have any pics of my current Status necked P bass, but as we're doing "used to own" basses as well, I used to own this:

Sold it because although it was a beautiful bass, and played itself, I just couldn't justify owning something that expensive and only using it a few times a week.

[quote name='G-77' post='260982' date='Aug 12 2008, 04:38 PM']well it seems there it now a MK2 KB

[/quote]

Hmmmmm it just dosen't look as humble as a King-Bass IMO, and probabally sounds exactly the same as one as well. But ah well, he's the seemingly never satisfied King :)

Edited by Josh

I think (and I actually told him this face to face!) that Rob got the body shape `right' back when he first started - don't get me wrong, I love the newer shapes and stuff but to me, the image of Curt Smith whacking the crap out of a lovely Series II back in the early '80s has stuck with me - there was (and still is) something `different' about the Status concept - almost as though aliens had kind of gotten involved (bit like the Stealth - no pun - aircraft!) and left these amazing instruments here on Earth for us sapiens to drool over!

The new KingBass looks a little bit like the Smartbass to me - I've said it over on Statii.com that I'm still not in a position to fully pass comment* on it as there are very few pics of the bass available. Looks nice - not sure about the `cutout' in the back edge of the body near the bridge. As Rob has kept with the narrow neck, the body looks a little too bulky etc but if MK says its the best hes had, then great!!

*Anyone would think I was some kind of Status fan...!!

Where's my compadre Rich?

Edited by doctor_of_the_bass

Re. the KingBass MkII, I'd say it's going to be sound thinner with even more top end with the J-type pickups. The longer top horn will address the wierd playing angle as well, although I quite like it [playing angle on KB Mk.I], personally.

Nick, I like your idea of a 'vintage' 80's range. They'd sell like hot cakes! I'll mention that to Rob when I'm down there next week. Even though I don't have a desire to order one, I think the hype over the KingBass II will fill their order books for some time to come.

...tell Rob that since the vintage range was my initial idea, I want a 10% royalty on each piece sold!! He would sell loads of them as people love them!

I agree about the new KB - I think that you are right! Even though I don't have one, I've played them (KB MkI) many times over the years and part of the appeal is that the compact shape is extremely comfortable to wear etc

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='261252' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:16 PM']Yes, the shape is very comfortable, but the shorter body does sit on the strap at a wierd ange if you're of a *ahem* rather rotund nature like me, LOL![/quote]

I used to be a svelte gazelle-like sinuous stripling (sp), I'm now 16.5 stone, five eleven collusus! They call me the Rotunda! (hang on, that's that famous Brum landmark!)

I'm a bit surprised that the KB II has a bigger body when Rob said originally that, when he and Mark discussed his ideal bass, Mark wanted a bass with a smaller body. Will the KB III end up looking like a wide bodied, graphite necked Pangborn, Alembic or Jaydee? :)

The strange thing is that when Mark originally bought his very first JayDee (from Sounds in Charing Cross Road in 1980) he found it perfect for him even though it was the wide bodied Series I model. Later on, he tried a bass that John Diggins had built for Steve Brezicki (sp) brother of Mark (Big Country), a session bassist. Steve's bass was the smaller bodied Series II so Mark asked John to build a similar one (in a black body colour). However, after having received this bass, Mark felt that he actually preferred the bigger Series I bass; he then received the famous `Starchild' bass (another Series I) in '81. The bass I owned was bought by Mark off of one of John Diggins work colleagues for £100!!!

I was surprised when the original Kingbass was unveiled, bearing the above in mind!

im pretty much certain the next high end bass il be buying will be a headless status graphite thru, they seem to look and sound gorgeous, S2's especially

gotta start saving for those blue side led's for my 'ray first though! :)

Not great shots but here are my two Status Basses. These have been my main basses for the last 10+ years.

2000 v string all black graphite covered fretless (de-fretted by Martin Peterson at the gallery), and a one off custom Empathy 5 string Rob made for me 10 years ago (the first headless using the stealth body shape don't you know.....):-

When I had the custom Status made I wanted the original solid brass hardware bridge as the string spacing is 15mm on the 5 string. I was lucky as Rob still had some of these units around at the workshop but had moved onto the individual ABM saddles as the standard, with wider string spacing.

Dave

• Like 1