Why become a member? ×

Electric basses

kedo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not far behind you. My left hand is developing arthritis, and I'm considering selling my double bass as well. No electric bass will sound like a double bass. That said, there are several models that get close. The Fender Precision bass was invented for this exact reason. A hollow body electric bass, or one of the so-called acoustic-electric basses (they look like an acoustic guitar with a longer neck and usually a piezo pickup under the bridge saddle) can also sound more "woody." Fender accentuated the double bass emulation by putting foam rubber under the bridge cover so it would damp down the string sustain. Finally, Rotosound Tru-Bass nylon tape wound strings were invented to emulate double bass articulation and sustain. So you can get close. Just don't expect it to be exactly the same.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an NS5 which is fine and dandy as a pretend DB. They come with strings which need changing to generate proper DB thud and the action needs jacking up.

No bass guitar will do the DB thing (although the Rob Allen gets close in a mix) but the Uke Bass genre gets very close. Pick one up for less than £100 from Thomann http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_kahuna_clu_bass_fl.htm#bewertung and if you don't like it then send it back within 30 days. The Kala ones are better built but the sound is there and it is fine. Much lighter than a DB :)