Why become a member? ×

Hearing things that aren't there

bluesparky

There used to be a point on Van der Graaf Generator's album Pawn Hearts that sounded like someone saying, er, "Pawn Hearts", although it's not part of the lyrics to any of the songs. I swear I had a friend who heard the same thing. However, now I can't find it! So perhaps someone crept into my house and replaced my copy, or maybe it's only audible to young people.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1418833096' post='2633855']
There used to be a point on Van der Graaf Generator's album Pawn Hearts that sounded like someone saying, er, "Pawn Hearts"...
[/quote]

I remember someone saying years ago that the album title is a spoonerism of 'horn parts'.

Edited by discreet

There is one particular Gorillaz track that sets our dog barking. She usually only barks at the sound of the window cleaner's aluminium ladders. There's nothing remotely like ladders that any of us humans can hear.

And yes I quite often hear people calling me when listening to music

There's a Christmas advert on TV at the moment with a piece of music on... I can't remember what it is, Gershwin perhaps. Anyhow, something about the first note sends a shudder up my spine. I realised that it's almost harmonically identical to the start of the default HTC alarm tone, which I've been conditioned to hate, what with it waking me up every day for the last four years.

We did a rough demo recording of one our songs a few years ago on the cheap and used the only space we had available... the guitarists kitchen. Not a fabulous recording environment, and it meant sitting quiet while the performance happened. I'd mixed and bounced the track without noticing anything odd. A few years later though I was listening back to it, and kept reaching for my phone but not having a text. I realised that this always happened at the same point, but I never noticed anything while mixing. I mentioned it to the singer later and he confessed that his phone had gone off at that point. I listened back to the overhead stems and you could hear the faintest HTC text whistle. I just can't directly hear it in context of the mix, but my subconscious always tells me to check my phone. I guess the only reason I didn't pick up on it in the first place is that I'd never had a HTC phone at that point so wasn't conditioned to listen out for that whistle.