Why become a member? ×

4 x Double Basses

BetaFunk

And however good they are individually, it's no guarantee that such an ensemble will be musical. I found it decidedly unmusical. But then I don't rate any bass instrument as solo-worthy, so I was never going to like 4 entwined solos, which is more or less what this is.
Horses for courses...

I wouldn't worry.

I never got the Smiths.
Or Nirvana.
Or Stone Roses...

Yet lots of people do.

If it rocks your boat, that's great. Doesn't do much for me.

It doesn't matter who the player is, if the music doesn't rock your boat, it doesn't rock your boat.

I don't like Bakithi Kumalo's solo efforts... unreal playing on Paul Simon's Graceland though.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418757566' post='2633048']
Barre Phillips, Palle Danielsen, Barry Guy and Jean Francois Jenny-Clarke are four major figures in jazz.

I assumed (wrongly) that everyone would have heard of them who goes on a double bass forum.
[/quote]

Not with you, chum. I thought this thread was about what we DB players felt about that piece of music.

I thought it was complete crap, and barely listenable. Hey - it's an opinion, OK?

If you intended us to feel shock and awe simply at seeing those four names on one CD sleeve, you might as well have listed Bill Bruford, Ginger Baker, Neil Peart and John Bonham. They're all 'greats' but I wouldn't want all four of 'em on one piece of music.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1418920215' post='2634887']

Not with you, chum. I thought this thread was about what we DB players felt about that piece of music.

I thought it was complete crap, and barely listenable. Hey - it's an opinion, OK?

If you intended us to feel shock and awe simply at seeing those four names on one CD sleeve, you might as well have listed Bill Bruford, Ginger Baker, Neil Peart and John Bonham. They're all 'greats' but I wouldn't want all four of 'em on one piece of music.

:)
[/quote]

+1

Edited by PTB