Why become a member? ×

Any fans of The Residents here?

hiram.k.hackenbacker

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1418347665' post='2629501']
I ended up buying one album and then stopped for that very reason. It's like just now getting into Frank Zappa or Neil Young. Where the hell to start?
I'll be interested in the responses too.
[/quote]
Ha ha. Do you know, I was going to say that it would be similar to someone asking me about Zappa as I have pretty much everything he's done.

Go on then, which album did you go for? Did you like it?

I got into them around 1977 after buying Third Reich & Roll. The two earlier albums Meet The Residents and Fingerprince soon followed and then every LP until the mid 90s. Third Reich & Roll is a must for early period Residents but all of those plus Not Available, Duck Stab/Buster & Glen interesting but i do prefer the early stuff best. Those Ralph LPs were difficult to find back then over here but worth the patience to track them down. 1980s Commercial Album is fun and one of the most accessible as is the Nibbles compilation which was released by Virgin in 1979. Other worth having compilations are Residue Of The Residents (1983) and Petting Zoo (2002) and probably best to avoid Eskimo for now.

If it was down to one album then it would be Third Reich N Roll for me. Worth the price for Sunshine Of Your Love/Hey Jude/Sympathy For The Devils guitar and cheesy synth. Wonderful!!!

I've played a lot of this recently (I still have the vinyl LPs) but it doesn't seem half a whacky as it sounded at the time so i'd be interested to hear what anyone just discovering this stuff thinks about it.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418348972' post='2629509']
I got into them around 1977 after buying Third Reich & Roll. The two earlier albums Meet The Residents and Fingerprince soon followed and then every LP until the mid 90s. Third Reich & Roll is a must for early period Residents but all of those plus Not Available, Duck Stab/Buster & Glen interesting but i do prefer the early stuff best. Those Ralph LPs were difficult to find back then over here but worth the patience to track them down. 1980s Commercial Album is fun and one of the most accessible as is the Nibbles compilation which was released by Virgin in 1979. Other worth having compilations are Residue Of The Residents (1983) and Petting Zoo (2002) and probably best to avoid Eskimo for now.

If it was down to one album then it would be Third Reich N Roll for me. Worth the price for Hey Jude/Sympathy For The Devils guitar and cheesy synth. Wonderful!!!

I've played a lot of this recently (I still have the vinyl LPs) but it doesn't seem half a whacky as it sounded at the time so i'd be interested to hear what anyone just discovering this stuff thinks about it.
[/quote]
Thank you ever so much for that insight.

I did laugh when I read your comment about Eskimo as I had literally just been reading the comments on Amazon about that very album. I almost bought it immediately after having read them!

I tend to avoid compilations unless there is material present that is unavailable elsewhere, because if I get into it I'll end up buying it again anyway.

Third Reich N Roll it is then.

Anyone want to suggest a second purchase :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418350296' post='2629512']
Thank you ever so much for that insight.

I did laugh when I read your comment about Eskimo as I had literally just been reading the comments on Amazon about that very album. I almost bought it immediately after having read them!

I tend to avoid compilations unless there is material present that is unavailable elsewhere, because if I get into it I'll end up buying it again anyway.

Third Reich N Roll it is then.

Anyone want to suggest a second purchase :)
[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, Eskimo has it's moments ok but let's say it's not the best place to start.

The Commercial Album is a good un but seems to be very expensive on Amazon. There are also a few Snakefinger LPs worth checking out too.

I look forward to hear what you think about Third Reich N Roll. It makes me chuckle just thinking about that LP!!!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418350839' post='2629515']
Don't get me wrong, Eskimo has it's moments ok but let's say it's not the best place to start.
The Commercial Album is a good un but seems to be very expensive on Amazon. There are also a few Snakefinger LPs worth checking out too.
I look forward to hear what you think about Third Reich N Roll. It makes me chuckle just thinking about that LP!!!
[/quote]
You're not supposed to chuckle. This is music. This is serious business. Having said that....
[list=1]
[*]"[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa%27s_Got_a_Brand_New_Bag"]Papa's Got a Brand New Bag[/url]" (sung in German)[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Reich_%27n_Roll#cite_note-papa-4"][size="2"][4][/size][/url][/sup]
[/list]
[size=6][sup]How can you not chuckle at that?[/sup][/size]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418351229' post='2629518']
You're not supposed to chuckle. This is music. This is serious business. Having said that....[list=1]
[*]"[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa%27s_Got_a_Brand_New_Bag"]Papa's Got a Brand New Bag[/url]" (sung in German)[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Reich_%27n_Roll#cite_note-papa-4"][size=2][4][/size][/url][/sup]
[/list]
[size=6][sup]How can you not chuckle at that?[/sup][/size]
[/quote]

Indeed!

Long before the days we were all on t'internet i made a cassette copy of this and gave it to a musician friend who was a massive Jim Morrison/Doors fan. He hated it, couldn't see the funny side of it and i still don't think he's ever got over it to this day. Enjoy!!!!

http://youtu.be/LBznPAirdzA

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418351691' post='2629519']
Indeed!

Long before the days we were all on t'internet i made a cassette copy of this and gave it to a musician friend who was a massive Jim Morrison/Doors fan. He hated it, couldn't see the funny side of it and i still don't think he's ever got over it to this day. Enjoy!!!!

[media]http://youtu.be/LBznPAirdzA[/media]
[/quote]
Ah! Now, you see, if Zappa did The Doors, I think this is fairly similar to what it would sound like.
Infinitely more listenable than the original as far as I'm concerned. But then I'm weird.

God in 3 Persons is my fave by a long way, but probably best to preview that one on youtube before buying.

Incidentally, if anyone has a CD copy of the instrumental version that they want to sell or are willing to rip for me, I'd be very grateful. I have it on vinyl, but am struggling to find a digital copy.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418352260' post='2629520']
The Residents 'George & James' (American Composers Volume One) LP is good if you like your JB and Gershwin done a little differently.

Here's a little James.....

[url="http://youtu.be/kINqjKyQ43c?list=PL465ABDD21A242D3C"]http://youtu.be/kINq...65ABDD21A242D3C[/url]
[/quote]
Great stuff. The track that ignited the spark for me, which was one of those random You Tube recommendations, was "Give It To Someone Else". There are loads of live versions on You Tube, but I couldn't find the album track on there, which is nicely produced.

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1418352405' post='2629522']
God in 3 Persons is my fave by a long way, but probably best to preview that one on youtube before buying.

Incidentally, if anyone has a CD copy of the instrumental version that they want to sell or are willing to rip for me, I'd be very grateful. I have it on vinyl, but am struggling to find a digital copy.
[/quote]
Two minutes on t'internet confirms your assumption that it is quite rare. I'll let you know if I stumble across a copy.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418348972' post='2629509']
If it was down to one album then it would be Third Reich N Roll for me. Worth the price for Sunshine Of Your Love/Hey Jude/Sympathy For The Devils guitar and cheesy synth. Wonderful!!!
[/quote]
[b]Thank you,[/b] your Amazon order has been placed.
We've sent you an e-mail confirmation.
We've sent you an e-mail confirmation.

[b]New[/b] [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/buy/spc/handlers/static-submit-decoupled.html/ref=ox_spc_place_order?ie=UTF8&hasWorkingJavascript=#"][color="#004b91"]Sign up[/color][/url] for delivery updates by text for this and future orders (UK +44 mobile numbers).
:)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418353317' post='2629524']
Two minutes on t'internet confirms your assumption that it is quite rare. I'll let you know if I stumble across a copy.
[/quote]

Thankyou. I have come across copies for sale occasionally, but it's people asking crazy prices. All the more galling as I remember coming across it years ago in a shop for not much more than a tenner and passing. I live in hope that someone will stick it up on youtube one day.

Definitely Commercial Album is a great place to start, followed by Duck Stab(Primus once covered Hello Skinny and Constantinople) and Third Reich(great for a spot of 'guess the song'). I love Gingerbread Man too, the full video on YouTube is excellent, as all of theirs are.

My highlight has to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJJb1UqjuA

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1418356933' post='2629529']
Definitely Commercial Album is a great place to start, followed by Duck Stab(Primus once covered Hello Skinny and Constantinople) and Third Reich(great for a spot of 'guess the song'). I love Gingerbread Man too, the full video on YouTube is excellent, as all of theirs are.

My highlight has to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJJb1UqjuA
[/quote]
Thanks Steve. I will investigate those albums once I have familiarised myself with TRAR.
I might have this all wrong, but I thought no one knew what the band members looked like. I would bet a large amount of money that the man playing the guitar in the link you posted is the same person singing Give It To Someone Else here....

http://youtu.be/0gWofXR46aw

Yet his full face is on show, only from the side admittedly.

Yes the Commercial Album was the one I got in some special edition. Think it was limited judging by current prices.

Nice to see a John Oswald (plunderphonics) reference in this thread. Not for everyone. He had to destroy copies of DAB (see: MJ's Bad) because Michael Jackson's people were not too happy. Can't think why:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIWLG-F0Ag

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1418379876' post='2629657']
My dad is really into The Residents and whilst I don't quite share his passion I do quite like them. Third Reich N Roll, The Commercial Album, and Meet The Residents are all good.

Need to look out my Residents jumper, its a good antidote to all the Xmas jumpers doing the rounds!
[/quote]
I totally get that it's not everyone's cup of Darjeeling, but I'm sure there are going to be some little gems tucked away in their back catalogue somewhere.
A Residents jumper sounds fantastic. Post a picture of you manage to find it. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1418381655' post='2629675']
Yes the Commercial Album was the one I got in some special edition. Think it was limited judging by current prices.

Nice to see a John Oswald (plunderphonics) reference in this thread. Not for everyone. He had to destroy copies of DAB (see: MJ's Bad) because Michael Jackson's people were not too happy. Can't think why:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIWLG-F0Ag
[/quote]
That link is great. I'd never heard of Oswald or Plunderphonics before. The mind boggles at how hard it must have been to create back in the day.
The end section is almost Vangelis like in its soundscape. I can see why MJ and his people didn't see the funny side, however it is the complete antidote to him.
No one can argue that it's too weird either, because it's Michael Jackson we're talking about! Some great comments there.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1418383180' post='2629701']
That link is great. I'd never heard of Oswald or Plunderphonics before. The mind boggles at how hard it must have been to create back in the day.
[/quote]
Plunderphonics seemed like a natural progression from those Residents LPs to me. I soon got into Oswalds Plunderphonics and Negativland, The Tape Beatles, Evolution Control Committee then onto later and current stuff by People Like Us and Blectum From Blechdom.
Plundersphonics is something you can get lost in for years and years and can be very entertaining!!!

Not sure what album to recommend but I was lucky enough to see them live once many years ago at Saddlers' Wells. Excellent gig as I remember. I've always loved their versions of 'It's a Man's World'.

Edited by Kirky