Why become a member? ×

open mike night,

red rooster

Was at class last night and one of the fellow students asked if i fancy going to an open mike night now bearing inmind were both beginners i really dont know if i want to or not,I can play simple 12 bar blues well kind off ,i know my notes on the neck may take a moment to find them im ok at playing major and minor triads 1,3,5 kind of thing i can play one or two tabs ,I can keep a simple rythm going but dont know if im ready for this .should i go maybe just to watch at least.

Who's Mike and why is he opening himself up for the evening?

In all seriousness, go. You're more likely to find out how much of what you know and practice on the bass is useful for when you're playing with other people, if you actually go out and try it out by playing music with other people!

Edited by skej21

Go ! Don't hesitiate

Take your bass as at least it will be a talking point. You can be "the only bass player in the village", you don't have to play. I took it each time - observed the first time, met some people and played second time. 12 bar is fine if you're a beginner, one of my contacts doesn't decide until ten minutes before what he is going to play and was happy with a 12 bar so he could improvise

Edited by Geek99

From a totally different perspective, I'm involved in running one of these nights.

I've read some people saying that these places are 'cliquey' but that's really dependant on everyone involved - our club certainly isn't and of all the others around this area I've only found one that is.
Find a club, give it a couple of tries and, if you think it's 'cliquey', find another one.

I see people tentatively get to grips with playing with other musicians and, slowly but surely, start to relax and become performers.

It essentially gives you all of the 'bits' that lessons can't. :)

Definitley a very good half way house between bedroom playing and full on gigging. There's likely to be backline provided (it'll belong to someone so don't go messing with it too much) so plug in and play. If it's half decently organsied they will probably link you up with someone of decent ability that you won't get intimidated by but who can help you along with a simple blues tune. Most are actually quite encouraging at the good ones. Unfortunately the very first blues jams I ever attended as a relative novice were very cliquey and it did put me off for a while. Most are very accommodating though. Just go along and watch for a couple of weeks, learn whos who and chat to a few people, take it from there.

I think you should go and see how these things pan out ..as they can all be a bit different.
You want to see if certain people hog the evening, but go with an open mind.
You wont be forced to do anything you don't want to do... you can introduce yourself to the bass player
..... as you'll be using his kit if they have a house 'band'..and go from there. If you feel it is friendly, then
decide if you wnt to put yourself forward. Most of the stuff is indeed 12 bar, but that can be unforgiving as well
...so go and have a look and see how you feel about it. If you introduce yourself to the bass and guy running it
then at least you and your mate will have some friendly faces and you can work out if they play stuff you can play..
If it is a good well run night, people will be understanding and offer encouragement.
You might find good bass players avoid these things unless to network as there sometimes can be too much
12 bar and blues and you never know who is on drums..
Go and have a look..can't hurt.

Go but don't take your bass, go watch a few performances first. Then you will know what exactly is the crack.
And then if you decide to do something the next time then practice something before hand with the other guy. You will be more confident.

That said this is exactly what me and my mate planned a year ago, and we still are practicing so maybe you should just dive right in.

[quote name='red rooster' timestamp='1418221740' post='2628098']
Was at class last night and one of the fellow students asked if i fancy going to an open mike night now bearing inmind were both beginners i really dont know if i want to or not,I can play simple 12 bar blues well kind off ,i know my notes on the neck may take a moment to find them im ok at playing major and minor triads 1,3,5 kind of thing i can play one or two tabs ,I can keep a simple rythm going but dont know if im ready for this .should i go maybe just to watch at least.
[/quote]

Sounds like you are at the ideal point to do your first open mic night.
JFDI, mate.
:-)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1418225752' post='2628152']
From a totally different perspective, I'm involved in running one of these nights.

I've read some people saying that these places are 'cliquey' but that's really dependant on everyone involved - our club certainly isn't and of all the others around this area I've only found one that is.
Find a club, give it a couple of tries and, if you think it's 'cliquey', find another one.

I see people tentatively get to grips with playing with other musicians and, slowly but surely, start to relax and become performers.
[/quote]

Yep. I ran a few different ones for many years and watching the transition from shy newbie to working pro was always one of the most satisfying aspects. I get gig calls occasionally from several of my contacts from playing at and running them, which is a pretty common scenario too, especially for bassists.

Do it!

I've been playing bass for around 20 years and love playing all different styles of music, the funny thing is I get more nervous at the thought of attending an open mic/jam session, than I do about gigging with my regular bands or depping for another? I guess it's down to the unknown and being outside of one's comfort zone?

Go along, suss out the score & if you feel like joining in - cool! If not then don't! :)

Almost every band I have been involved with has a connection to one jam night or another, if you can learn a few popular jam night songs and make a little list you can approach the person running it and they should put you with the appropriate people to do those, one of them will probably ask you to learn a few simple songs for the next time you go, the list just gets bigger and you are away, good luck :)

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1418241479' post='2628405']
I've been playing bass for around 20 years and love playing all different styles of music, the funny thing is I get more nervous at the thought of attending an open mic/jam session, than I do about gigging with my regular bands or depping for another? I guess it's down to the unknown and being outside of one's comfort zone?
[/quote]

I love that aspect, but I also think a little nervousness can be great for creativity. Train wrecks aren't always the most fun though, have to admit.

Absolutely go for it. I've been going to an open mic blues night for a couple of months now and I really think it has helped me progress. I still haven't the confidence to do much more than root notes really, but I try to mix it up with different rhythms and volume levels.
I've had one guy tell me I should be a bit more adventurous, but honestly I'm quite proud of myself for being able to get up there and manage to play something to songs I've nenever even heard before !

Mostly, they have been exceptionally friendly and encouraging and I have even had some nice compliments from some of the punters.

I didn't take my bass straight away though. Went along a couple of times without it to see how the land lay so to speak.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1418225752' post='2628152']

I've read some people saying that these places are 'cliquey' but that's really dependant on everyone involved - our club certainly isn't and of all the others around this area I've only found one that is.[/quote]

Yes "cliquey" would describe what we have here in Milwaukee. If the host band or host does not know you, you don't play. Not like what we had back in the 70s that we called jam sessions where anyone could get a chance to play.

Here the open mic thing is a mechanism for club owner to drive a little extra business on the cheap. Me, I won't have anything to do with them.Jam sessions are more about cats getting together to see if they can get something happening, usually at someones home. I really think the [i]"jam session"[/i] is a thing of the past.

Blue

Edited by blue

Just do it. As everyone is saying.

Be aware that broadly open mics fall into two categories. The open mic which is essentially soloists with the occasional duo and trio but essentially acoustic acts. You'll have a basic PA but it is worth taking a small bass amp with you if you have something convenient.

The second scenario is more often called a jam session, you'll have a basic PA and a backline and usually a house band. These tend to attract a lot of young bands and vary from a true jam session, with people joining and leaving the house band, to performances where a series of bands and acts do 10-15 minute slots through the evening. You do get acoustic acts but they won't make up much of the evening.

The jam session can feel cliquey but if you go regularly you'l find the same songs being played each week so you can learn those and join in. Some house bands are great with newcomers, others not so much.

Essentially open mic's are non threatening and full of generous people who share their love of music and who are really supportive of people who are learning. It's a great place to meet other musicians and as a bassist you'll need other people to play with. I went to a couple with my bass in the car to sus them out before I plucked up courage to give it a go.

Last tip, get there early and chat with the organiser before the thing kicks off.

Have fun.

Edited by Phil Starr

yes, if you chat with the organiser, they might get someone suitable to give you a chance. I got taken on by a guitard who was very generous with his time to get a song together for the next OM night. He suggested a 12 bar in a key of my choice and encouraged me to play with the arrangement a little, so I made some of the repeat-chord bars walk up and down across two bars rather than repeat the same pattern and changed notes so I was near the starting note of the next chord rather than jump a long way. He liked my ideas. We had a quick run through using an acoustic bass first which was a huge confidence builder. I have to say that my Stingray copy sounded amazing through an Ampeg, and still good even when recorded on an iphone by a friend.

Found out last time that said guitard's band has been opening up for acts at the O2 last month. NO pressure there then.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1418268149' post='2628653']

Here the open mic thing is a mechanism for club owner to drive a little extra business on the cheap. Me, I won't have anything to do with them.Jam sessions are more about cats getting together to see if they can get something happening, usually at someones home. I really think the [i]"jam session"[/i] is a thing of the past.

Blue
[/quote]

Open mics here are for the same reason... always on a quite night...and the house band gets paid but the guests don't.
This would be an occasion where the hat could go round, but it is probably better it doesn't..