Why become a member? ×

Solved - Markbass LM3 redesign.

Sparky Mark

Markbass literature used to describe the sonic differences between their analogue and class d power amplifiers, so I think it is fair to say that the new class d LM3 will sound different to the previous analogue version. This is also the opinion of Bass Gear Magazine's tombowlus who compared the Big Bang with the LM2.

I think it's interesting that Markbass introduced this change to their flagship head seemingly without any publicity (perfectly within their rights of course ) as if they understood it might be perceived as making the LM3 a different amplifier. Looking at the two versions the analogue would almost certainly be more expensive to manufacture and now that the class d power section is used in almost all of Markbass 500 watt heads and combos the economies of scale are obvious.

Edited by Sparky Mark

Makes me wonder what I should do with my Big Bang powered Combo Head 2. It's currently a standalone head wearing the top-panel and feet from the LM800 that I put in the combo and I was torn between keeping it in the cupboard to swap back in the event that I wanted to sell the combo, and offering it up for sale on here to get some of my money back. Now I wonder if I should actually take it to a rehearsal and have a listen to it.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1418894347' post='2634455']
Makes me wonder what I should do with my Big Bang powered Combo Head 2. It's currently a standalone head wearing the top-panel and feet from the LM800 that I put in the combo and I was torn between keeping it in the cupboard to swap back in the event that I wanted to sell the combo, and offering it up for sale on here to get some of my money back. Now I wonder if I should actually take it to a rehearsal and have a listen to it.
[/quote]

Definately give it a proper run out, it's a great sounding amp. You might even prefer it and the power difference is negligible.

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1418894900' post='2634465']
Definately give it a proper run out, it's a great sounding amp.
[/quote]

I guess I could take the LM2 and F1 along and try to ascertain, side by side, whether the CH2 is anything I don't already have in the other heads. Sounds like a plan...

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1418894900' post='2634465']
You might even prefer it and the power difference is negligible.
[/quote]

Absolutely - I swapped the CH2 for the LM800 because conventional wisdom stated that the LM3/CH2 was still much like the LM2 with a couple of added features but the same basic workings, and as much as I like that for classic rock, I wanted the snappy response of the LM800 with its digital power amp for use in my metal band. If the LM3/CH2 is now a fundamentally different beast, there's always the chance that it'll have something unique.

Edited by Ed_S

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1418895198' post='2634472']
I guess I could take the LM2 and F1 along and try to ascertain, side by side, whether the CH2 is anything I don't already have in the other heads. Sounds like a plan...
[/quote]
Trouble is in the time it takes to swap leads over it's very difficult to do a true A to B to C comparison of similar sounding heads, which these are.

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1418895912' post='2634493']
Trouble is in the time it takes to swap leads over it's very difficult to do a true A to B to C comparison of similar sounding heads, which these are.
[/quote]

It'd have to be two or more sets of A/B comparison with the combo being used as one 1x12 cab, the matching extension cab being used as the second, and an ABY box used for switching between them with the same settings on each head. Would be as close as I could get to a fair test...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1418901583' post='2634593']
on the other hand, if the difference is so subtle that you can't be sure after swapping leads and you need to devise a more complex arrangement... it probably means that either would do and you could just choose one based on features. Or colour. :)
[/quote]

Either way you'll need a pre-amp to make it sound interesting. :P

• Like 1

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1418901583' post='2634593']
on the other hand, if the difference is so subtle that you can't be sure after swapping leads and you need to devise a more complex arrangement... it probably means that either would do and you coud just choose one based on features. Or colour. :)
[/quote]

I strongly suspect that's what it'll come down to! The LM800 will win as its panel is black with yellow bits, which I prefer to the CH2's yellow with black bits. The LM2 and F1 look better still for not having the yellow knobs, however.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418901841' post='2634599']
Either way you'll need a pre-amp to make it sound interesting. :P
[/quote]

Nah, I like 'em as they are. The VTDI comes out for recording, but not live.

• 5 years later...
18 hours ago, wildebassman said:

I know this an old thread but..just pulled the amp out off my CMD 121P, made in march 2012 and found the double heatsink etc. is this the older modell, AB output amp?

MarkBass changed from Class A/B to Class D in the Little Mark in 2012 IIRC. Not sure of the month though.

Yours looks like a Class A/B one but if you contact MB either direct or on FB, they will be able to confirm one way or another.

On 13/04/2020 at 20:09, wildebassman said:

I know this an old thread but..just pulled the amp out off my CMD 121P, made in march 2012 and found the double heatsink etc. is this the older modell, AB output amp?

20200413_130021.jpg

20200413_130014.jpg

On 16/04/2020 at 21:31, wildebassman said:

Still no real clue, at least it's an older design with bigger heat sinks.

It's a Class A/B. Probably one of the very last ones before they switched to the Class D power section.

• 1 month later...
On 17/12/2014 at 18:15, Sparky Mark said:

Markbass literature used to describe the sonic differences between their analogue and class d power amplifiers.

Class D amplifiers are analogue too. Difference in size could be the difference in Class AB and Class D output sections.

• Like 1