Why become a member? ×

Solved - Markbass LM3 redesign.

Sparky Mark

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1418237405' post='2628356']
Good idea, I will email [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] and report back here.
[/quote]

If you have facebook, Please post it on the "Markbass Amps And Cabs" group, Riccardo and Marco tend to respond to stuff on there, and a lot of the MB enthusiasts (including myself) would find it interesting

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1418215665' post='2628014']
Both Italian.
[/quote]

I recently removed the combo head 2 from my Indonesian cmd121p and it's got the same reduced innards. I was replacing it with an Italian lm800 so I didn't draw the comparison at the time, but now you point it out...

The real point of my original post was to try to understand whether the newer design is the equal of the former. To quote an old saying "Everything can be made a bit cheaper. .......and a bit worse".
If there is also a question over the country of manufacture marking that's another thing.

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1418255554' post='2628621']
The real point of my original post was to try to understand whether the newer design is the equal of the former. To quote an old saying "Everything can be made a bit cheaper. .......and a bit worse".
If there is also a question over the country of manufacture marking that's another thing.
[/quote]

I doubt there'll be any question over the sticker accurately reflecting where the thing was made.. Obviously I don't know, but I'd find it much easier to believe that they just refined the design for whatever reason towards the end of production in Italy and then passed that now-current design / tooling etc. to the Indonesian factory to carry on making.

As for better / worse, I bought the combo with the intention of swapping the head out, so beyond "it works" I can't comment - my only experiences are with Italian era lm2, lm800 and f1 heads.

Still.. be interesting if you do find out what changed!

[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][sub]I have received a reply from Riccardo:-[/sub]

[sub]Hi Mark,[/sub]
[sub]thanks for writing and for choosing Markbass.[/sub]
[sub]During the years we always work on our products development, improving them with some new components with advanced tech specs to offer the best quality as we want only the best for our customers!!![/sub]
[sub]Thank you once again.[/sub]
[sub]Riccardo[/sub][/font][/size]

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1418303335' post='2628946']
I have received a reply from Riccardo:
[/quote]

That's pretty much what he said on FB. Not a very satisfying answer really as I'm sure they've done whatever they've done to improve it somehow. But this doesn't answer any questions!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418309835' post='2629026']
Has anyone heard of any problems with the 2013 model in the year that has passed since?
That would be the bottom line really.
[/quote]

I had to re solder one of the internal wires on the 1/4 inch speaker output socket which was causing an intermittent fault ie no output. Been fine ever since.

You seem to be making the assumption that the amp with the most stuff in it has to be better in some way.

If Markbass are doing their job properly, and IME they usually do, I don't see any reason to expect a technical upgrade to be anything other than just that.

• Like 1

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1418311868' post='2629059']
You seem to be making the assumption that the amp with the most stuff in it has to be better in some way.

If Markbass are doing their job properly, and IME they usually do, I don't see any reason to expect a technical upgrade to be anything other than just that.
[/quote]

This. I reckon the heatsink thing is the most plausible. They are proud of the markbass sound and reliability so I don't believe they would make any changes that would have a negative effect on them