Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG115 Smoke no fire.

Lewbass

So My OTB 500 has now be repaired. But my cab is still KAPUT.
I'm no whizz with technical stuff, but I can solder and fix things if I know what is wrong.

Here is what happened.

My head had a PCB issue, it seemed to just dump ALOT of of energy (or what ever) straight into the my cab.
When i hooked my Amp and Cab up the problem happened straight away, no sound was made, just a burning smell (like the smell of burning wire casing) and then the smoke.

I am hoping this is not speaker related, and just some kind of connecting wire and/or fuse problem.

Any help on this ordeal would be great :)

All the best!

my first check would be to take the input panel off the cab and have a look at that, it might be the capacitor on the crossover that has been fried, it should be pretty obvious if it has gone, if not then it could be the driver itself which is an easy job to replace if you can get the correct one. take some pictures to post on here and the problem should be simple enough to locate

ive just had a quick google and it looks like the mag 115 doesn't have a tweeter, so it probably doesn't have a crossover, in which case the smoke is very likely to be the voice coil on the driver, that would mean that it's new driver time.

Matt