Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Deluxe neck swap

GRAHAM SG1

I have got a 2010 USA Fender Precision Deluxe and would like to swap the neck for the narrower Jazz Deluxe one, does anyone know if this is just a simple bolt on swap over or is there more to it with regards to body neck pocket size/neck angle,number of bolts and location etc, I would not want to be left with a gap around the body/neck joint or a neck that does not set up nicely,I would hope these parts are interchangeable .

Thanks

Thanks all, I am only really concerned about the fit of a different neck, I would not want any gaps between body and neck at the body pocket which could arise from tolerance differences between the Jazz and Precision, at the same time I would not want to buy a neck that is too tight for the pocket, it would also need to be a Deluxe USA Jazz neck to keep the Deluxe spec of my bass .

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1418079961' post='2626770']
Thanks all, I am only really concerned about the fit of a different neck, I would not want any gaps between body and neck at the body pocket which could arise from tolerance differences between the Jazz and Precision, at the same time I would not want to buy a neck that is too tight for the pocket, it would also need to be a Deluxe USA Jazz neck to keep the Deluxe spec of my bass .
[/quote]

If you need to keep the spec of your bass original, you will need to keep the original neck, because if you sell it people may consider it a bitsa, as in non production model :) .

I swapped a rosewood finger board p neck for a maple fretboard jazz neck on my p/j bass. Suits my style. Probably won't sell it because I use that bass 90% of the time.

In fact i'm selling other expensive bass instead. I don't know why i don't play my expensive bass like musicman, warwick etc. I prefer mid range fender and mod the hell out of it to make it work for me lol.