Why become a member? ×

Led Zep - adverts and X Factor

The Admiral

I just noticed the new Boss after shave ad has Whole Lotta Love as the soundtrack, and on X Factor the contestants do their walk off, post song, to an instrumental version of Kashmir now.

I seem to remember an interview with Jack Black re 'School of Rock', in which he suggested that to obtain the permission to use a Zep tune in the film, he had to record a personal begging short film and sent it off to Jimmy Page, as they wouldn't allow the use of their music in anything. Seems like something has changed, but I can't imagine it's the need for cash!

Any other spottings I've missed?

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1417984856' post='2625778']
Any other spottings I've missed?
[/quote]
Nothing spotted yet but i live in hope that the South West England Tourist Board will soon have an advert on TV with a nice song containing slightly rearranged lyrics along the lines of 'Stairway To Devon'. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1417985824' post='2625801']

Nothing spotted yet but i live in hope that the South West England Tourist Board will soon have an advert on TV with a nice song containing slightly rearranged lyrics along the lines of 'Stairway To Devon'. :)
[/quote]

The might end up paying Focus the royalties if they do.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1417985824' post='2625801']
[/quote]
'... or Stannah Stairlift to Heaven.'

Page and Plant could be making loadsamoney.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1417990312' post='2625860']
They've been using Kashmir on X-factor since the start, about 10 years ago IIRC.

I remember when Queen songs were considered sacred, but somewhere along the line they sold out big time. I hope Zep don't do the same.
[/quote] What does selling out really mean? Is it that people want to keep bands a secret so they have the cool factor of being in the know? I guess bands want to reach new audiences, so that is why they do it.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1418029926' post='2626023']
What does selling out really mean? Is it that people want to keep bands a secret so they have the cool factor of being in the know? I guess bands want to reach new audiences, so that is why they do it.
[/quote]

I thought it was when you give up your artistic freedom and alter your songs so much to please a producer and record company and make your songs commercially viable that you have lost your integrity.

Led Zepplin and Queen can hardly be considered as bands who have sold out.

When I was in my teens some friends in a band were approached by a big label. The label wanted to take the band (who were proficient musicians and sounded very good) and give them music to play written by the label's songwriter, style them using a stylist and coreograph their moves. That's selling out!

[quote]What does selling out really mean? Is it that people want to keep bands a secret so they have the cool factor of being in the know? I guess bands want to reach new audiences, so that is why they do it. [/quote]

When your songs are used in car insurance ads you've hit rock bottom. Queen went through a phase a few years ago of being in loads of TV ads. Now I don't think Freddie set out to promote products on Saturday night TV when he wrote those songs, he wrote them to be listened to live and at home as music, not a promotion gimmick. That is selling out in my view.

Selling out is working in a job that you do not like because you need to be able to pay your bills. I happen to like my job, but would jump at the chance to sell out as a full time musician. All this talk of "keeping it real etc" totally ignores the way the industry works. Massive Attack bloke writer retired from music a long time ago but makes money that the rest of us would cry about every year from people paying to use his music in this, that and the other.

Financially, the Video Game industry makes the Music industry look like children playing shop with plastic money and a till which goes "ching" every time it is opened.

Selling out as a musician? Make enough money from music to not have to work a day job and even (just imagine) fund a decent pension pot? Yes please.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1418029926' post='2626023']
What does selling out really mean? Is it that people want to keep bands a secret so they have the cool factor of being in the know? I guess bands want to reach new audiences, so that is why they do it.
[/quote]

Their songs, their opportunities, their rewards and no-one else's business. Some people seem to think because they bought a 99p download they're on the board of directors.

Led Zep songs have always been available to use but the sync fee was always prohibitive high - it seems that the advertising spend at some of the big companies must have gone up. Hardly a surprise as computer games regularly out-perform block-buster films now & fragrances have such massive mark-ups. Still, interesting to see that people are willing to cough up that kind of money now.

There are no sellouts, just bands wanting to make the most of an opportunity. Were Nirvana sellouts because Nevermind sounded nothing like Bleach, and appealed to a broader audience? Not in my book. Limp Bizkit were called sellouts, because they had a record that lots of people liked. I think the only people who call bands sellouts, have never been in a position to either change, because they are limited talent wise, never given the chance, or older fans not wanting to share the exclusivity of a band that are only popular to a few people.

I remember as a teen metal fan in the 80's, 'selling out' as a really big thing.

You'd have the bands that looked, well, normal, with a raw sound - then they'd re-appear on a major label with big hair, big outfits and usually super-produced sofer songs which usually sucked!

From memory, Raven were big offenders....Saxon did the same....many of the bands simply never came back! :o

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417993073' post='2625886']
There is at least one YouTube video drawing attention to certain similarities between several Led Zep songs and somewhat earlier songs.
[/quote]

Somewhat earlier songs that were nicked from somewhat earlier songs. And so on..

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1418061092' post='2626447']
The X factoe one ain 't Zep tho. I think it's that Violin quartet of hot woman that did well on BGT. Would that be the same as it's not a zep recording but a recording owned by cowell. I may be wrong, but them violin woman def did a version!
[/quote]

Vanessa Mae?

Page and Plant have done many versions.