Why become a member? ×

Shuker Mega thread

Tinman

[quote name='Veils' post='575194' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:17 AM']I saw that bass in the flesh last week. Has anyone seen the black singlecut it lives next to? All I could say was....WOW![/quote]

Yep saw both on saturday, along with both the flip paint and red one hes making for the stock page with some weird cling film paint job. Possibly the worst description of them anyone could come up with but wait till they hit the stock page im saving now :)

[quote name='Veils' post='575194' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:17 AM']I saw that bass in the flesh last week. Has anyone seen the black singlecut it lives next to? All I could say was....WOW![/quote]
Would that be one with fanned frets? Last I heard my bass was waiting to be sprayed black.

No it is the one that is on the stock page. I also saw the one with the funny paint job and I did see your bass too. Well I assume it was yours, it was a singlecut with fanned frets. I had a lil feel of the neck, it feels like it's going to play absolutely lightning quick :)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='574612' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:28 PM']3rd post. sorry.
can anyone tell me how this fretboard works? looks like the strings where you'd normally play are only a few mm from the f/board, does that even work?[/quote]

I think it would fel much like having a 'ramp' (like the ones on my Shuker basses) , Here's Gary Willis explaining all far better than I can!

[url="http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html"]http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html[/url]

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='574588' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:02 PM']I played spot the difference with these... I lost.
did you get 2 identical basses made or am I missing something?

BTW, BEAUTIFUL![/quote]

Cheers!
Yup! They are a matched pair, even jon doesn,t know how to tell them apart.
They are signed under the scratchplates and numbered 1 and 2, they have dual jack plugs like rics but one is for output without leds down the neck lit up and the other with the leds on.

[quote name='wizbat' post='578661' date='Aug 23 2009, 11:13 PM']Cheers!
Yup! They are a matched pair, even jon doesn,t know how to tell them apart.
They are signed under the scratchplates and numbered 1 and 2, they have dual jack plugs like rics but one is for output without leds down the neck lit up and the other with the leds on.[/quote]

Thats fantastic.
Do you have a build thread for this? I had a quick search and couldnt find it.

Got so many questions.
Why 2 identical? I know some people like having a back up on stage but identical?
Do you favour one to the other? or do you play them equally?
Is one tuned difrent?

Hi!
Nope ,no build thread,, partly because everybody else has one and also because I didn,t want Jon getting any hassle from the Ric gestapo while they were being built.
You,re bang on with the backup idea, I just didn,t see the point of having a dream bass and then after breaking a string having to play the rest of the set with a different backup instrument, I play with a pick and tend to really get dug in so string breakages are a common thing for me tho I must say that the Newtone strings are really taking some punishment and still going strong.
It was Jons suggestion to use the quilted maple top and I kind of challenged him to get them looking the same but I never expected him to get it so good.
They are tuned the same F# to G and tho they feel and sound identical as each piece for each guitar was cut from the same wood, every time I tune them before a gig I tend to pick the one that seems happiest if that makes any sense.

Here is my Shuker 6 string headless. Its brilliant, I don't know how Jon does it for the money. The side LED's have two positions, kind of dip and main beam ! :)

[attachment=31731:DSC_0327.jpg]
[attachment=31732:DSC_0328.jpg]
[attachment=31733:DSC_0332.jpg]

[quote name='Johngh' post='582901' date='Aug 27 2009, 08:52 PM']Here is my Shuker 6 string headless. Its brilliant, I don't know how Jon does it for the money. The side LED's have two positions, kind of dip and main beam ! :)

[attachment=31731:DSC_0327.jpg]
[attachment=31732:DSC_0328.jpg]
[attachment=31733:DSC_0332.jpg][/quote]

Remember having to prize this little beauty out of my hands at the bass bash? STILL a joy to look at! Wooo headless basses are go! ;o) [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/hlgal.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/hlgal.htm[/url]

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='586499' date='Sep 1 2009, 01:39 PM']Played my new Shuker Jazz at Colne Blues Fest yesterday - I'm absolutely ecstatic with it. It's everything I've been looking for in a bass...

More pics when the sun decides to shine.[/quote]

Lovely!

I really like the headstock shape Jon has chosen for these - overall you have one very classy bass there - but you know that.

Is that the one which was on the stock page earlier this year? If so I SO wanted it - ended up with the white one I posted earlier in this thread - which turned out to be just right for me. But - if I could afford a second one... :)
Btw, do you like the Delanos - they were a revelation for me - very clean, quiet with good tonal range.

[quote name='dood' post='585387' date='Aug 30 2009, 09:01 PM']Remember having to prize this little beauty out of my hands at the bass bash? STILL a joy to look at! Wooo headless basses are go! ;o) [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/hlgal.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/hlgal.htm[/url][/quote]

Hi Dan, yep I remember it well, its going to be at the South East bash as well if you are there and fancy another dabble. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

[quote name='Pete1967' post='789007' date='Mar 28 2010, 11:23 PM']OK, So I thought it was time this thread was rejuvenated - now that I have two Shukers (and a third on the way) :)

Here's my gratuitious contribution...

[attachment=45969:Shukers.jpg][/quote]

Filth! :rolleyes:
Gorgeous looking basses there mate!

Cheers,
Eude

• 5 weeks later...

Wow!! Some seriously nice basses there guys!!

I have owned 3 or 4 Shukers, plus a bass body I had Jon build a neck for and kit out!! I call it a 'Shukland'!!

I'll post the pics I have now, and then try and find the others!!

Shuker 5 Custom Hollowbody.... Burr Maple Top....

Shuker 6 Elite.... Now residing with Mr. Knopfler's Bassist (forgot his name though??)

Shukland 5.... Neck by Jon, and kitted out with Aguilar pre and Kent Armstrong soaps....

Thats it for now, but I have some pics somewhere of a 5 J bass, and I'm sure I had another, but my memory could be failing??

Regards
Big G!!

[quote name='gadget' post='822292' date='Apr 28 2010, 06:34 PM']Shukland 5.... Neck by Jon, and kitted out with Aguilar pre and Kent Armstrong soaps....

Thats it for now, but I have some pics somewhere of a 5 J bass, and I'm sure I had another, but my memory could be failing??

Regards
Big G!![/quote]

Nice, liking that flamed maple alot!

This pic shows the flaming a little better!! I have tried to track the origins of this body down... I bought it from Physco Andy originally, so he may be able to shed more light on it??

Either way, it looks like its a factory reject (it had some minor flaws in the finish, and then had been refinished over the top of these flaws), and could possibly even be a Lakland reject (Korean ratehr than USA of course)... So hence thats where the name Shukland came from, on account of the possible Lakland connection! Of course there is actually no way of proving or disproving this theory, so the name remains!!

And the body as it was originally just after purchasing....

Enjoy!!
G!