Why become a member? ×

Bouquet gear cash extraction.

spacey

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418204064' post='2627848']
A £3k bass direct from the luthier should be one hell of a bass, as you aren't having to pay retail costs...
The luthier should make a profit but he doesn't have to factor in 30% or so to a shop/distributor.
If that bass isn't waaaay better than some production bass you've brought for the same ballpark money,
you have really gone to the wrong guy...and badly, IMO.

When I had my first bass made, I told the luthier what I had looked at, and he said there was no doubt
he would make me a better bass..and he was 110% right. Now, these could only just be words from
some makers and that is where your homework comes in.
[/quote]
TBH I have played almost everybrand of bass at some point and as good as they have been I have never felt them to be that much better if at all really, fancy tops are one thing but a solid topped bass plays or sounds no worse so that is just a cost if it floats your boat, I use a SR505 some weeks and its more than good enough to cover any gig and capable of a super low action if required, good preamp, tidy build quality, good B string (no idea what scale it is?), If it makes the buyer happy so be it but I have never found them to be massively better than a good quality mass produced one, my Fender Jazz V has a great B, nicely finished and no dodgy build quality issues, my Stingray Classic5 is a minter too. :)

Yes... I've looked them over and they are fine, the production can be a tad variable,
but those are the ones you pass on.
Just not a patch on two of my basses. I think the sound could get closer with a
premium set-up but not the QC or finishing touches. And some of those
touches will just not be entertained in a production bass... and some are as basic as blocks
and binding.
I was of the opinion of this when I first commisioned, and I am more so now.
I can see why some people can say why there can't see the value but that is an issue for them
as it is there.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418239183' post='2628378']
I just dont see visual things like bindings, blocks etc as making a bass "110% better", fwiw I would buy one but not with any belief of it being any better during a gig than my others, my worst quality Ray is my black and white one, its also my favourite, go figure, lol
[/quote]

Rubbish. If it looks the part then it's worth every penny over any other perfectly playable bass ;-).

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1418241450' post='2628404']
Rubbish. If it looks the part then it's worth every penny over any other perfectly playable bass ;-).
[/quote]

Tru dat - if it's what you're into. I don't think anyone goes out of their way to find a bass that looks terrible.
Apart from R*ck*nb*cker owners, obviously. :D

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1418242641' post='2628429']
There seems to be a lot of ugly (to me) basses around that for some reason people have orgasms over.
[/quote]

You're probably right. I absolutely hated the look of Warwick and Spector basses at one time... so what's that about? :lol:

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1417907052' post='2625093']
Well if we're talking Rics. I love them, but having said that I have tried some of the later ones and I didn't like them as much as my main 4001.
I have three P bass. 2 Fender and an Antoria from the late 70's. I prefer the Antoria.
I have two Thunderbirds a Gibson and a Tokai, I prefer the Tokai.
I actually have too may basses but in the end I always go for the Ric it just fits me and is the best sounding bass in the world, REALLY :unsure:
[/quote]

As you can tell from the basses I use , I'm into the [i]"look"[/i] side of things. I think once I get a Ric, I will have my bases covered. :D

In the end I go for my German made Hofner Club Bass ( with *Cavern Club PU spacing ). You plug it in and no matter how you eq it, it;s always right on the money.

Blue

* If you look at the very early pics of Paul playing the Cavern Club, you will see the same close PU spacing on his 1962 Hofner.

[size=4][color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000][b]Bass Guitars [/b][/color][/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Bass[/color][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson ES-335 Custom Shop Bass[/color][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson 1991 Thunderbird Bass[/color][/font][/color][/size] w/ebony fret board
[size=4][font=Arial]Fender 1951 Telecaster Bass Re-issue *MIJ (Dressing Room Bass)[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]Fender 1959 Telecaster Bass Re-Issue MIJ[/font] (Rehearsal Bass)[/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff][color=#000000][font=Arial]G & L 1991 ASAT Bass (active pre-amp )[/font][/color][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][color=#000000]German Made Hofner 502 Limited Edition Club Bass[/color][/font][/color][/size]

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418242787' post='2628435']
You're probably right. I absolutely hated the look of Warwick and Spector basses at one time... so what's that about? :lol:
[/quote]

I also hated the look of all Fenders and anything with a scratch plate. Since then I have owned 2 Fenders and now have a Sandberg (With a scratchplate) :blink:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418239183' post='2628378']
I just dont see visual things like bindings, blocks etc as making a bass "110% better", fwiw I would buy one but not with any belief of it being any better during a gig than my others, my worst quality Ray is my black and white one, its also my favourite, go figure, lol
[/quote]

The thing is that certain guys can make that work and their attention to detail can well be reflected in the rest of the work they do.
It is a labour of love to some and that is something that is very hard t put a price on, especially if they have areal eye for it.
My basses sing ..IMO.. and that is partly the set-up but mostly the way he can put two bits of wood together..
Easier said than done, of course, but the money I paid ..?? totally worth it.
I am thinking about adding a production bass but I know it wont be the same... but I have reconciled myself to that.