Why become a member? ×

What is it about die hard MM owner's.?

bubinga5

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1417612818' post='2622209']
It's only right that MM owners defend their bass's. After all it is the product that rectified Leo's mistakes when he made the Precision :-)

(runs for cover)
[/quote]

Surely that product is the G&L SB1 (v2)....

Also runs for cover

must now return back to the G&L forum after this momentary fanbois unfaithfulness :unsure:

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1417567243' post='2621943']
i just don't get it.. its almost like a cult. anything that is said against Music Man is blaspheme. its very odd.. even Fender die hards don't do this.. I'm not going to give you a link to the thread for fear of reprisals. Does Ernie give out some sort of drugs with his basses that indoctrinates you.?

its actually quite annoying.
[/quote]

I know... It's weird indeed. I don't know why certain brands attract that type of "cult mentality".
I love my MMs... but I never liked the EBMM forum for that reason.

I agree that the issue is with the EBMM forum where absolutely no criticism of MM guitars, basses, accessories etc is tolerated. The justification is that the company is paying for it and so it is perfectly acceptable not to accept criticism. I don't have a problem with that so just regard the forum as an advertisement for EBMM and never go there.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1417771341' post='2623811']
I agree that the issue is with the EBMM forum where absolutely no criticism of MM guitars, basses, accessories etc is tolerated. The justification is that the company is paying for it and so it is perfectly acceptable not to accept criticism. I don't have a problem with that so just regard the forum as an advertisement for EBMM and never go there.
[/quote]

I'm a member of it, they were brilliant about answering a question that I asked and I have never logged in again since. That's pretty much what I expected from it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417604628' post='2622095'] I've only found the ebmm forum members to be overly touchy really and I suspect that goes for any forum for a specific brand of anything? I must admit ive never seen a weak G on one which woukd be odd if its anything other than some form of eq thing, not necessarily the users fault as it could just be a compatability issue or something, I'm still struggling to get what I want from my Jazz but I know its not a faulty bass. [/quote]

That's interesting. I seem to recall reading that the whole point of having the G string machine on the other side was to eliminate a presumed weakness in the Precision design for a weaker G string.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1417777466' post='2623882']
That's interesting. I seem to recall reading that the whole point of having the G string machine on the other side was to eliminate a presumed weakness in the Precision design for a weaker G string.
[/quote]

Not sure there's anything weak about a G-string in a Precision!

I like the 3+1 visually, and that it allows for a shorter headstock and a much shorter length of string after the nut to reach the post... but I doubt it does anything to change whether it's weak or not.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1417782019' post='2623938']
Not sure there's anything weak about a G-string in a Precision!

I like the 3+1 visually, and that it allows for a shorter headstock and a much shorter length of string after the nut to reach the post... but I doubt it does anything to change whether it's weak or not.
[/quote]
I think it was some of the early 5 stringers that had issues.

FWIW there are so many tales of the weak G string, my Ray34 suffering from it too, there simply has to be some truth in it, many Musicman owners deny it or attribute it to user error. Rather than even admitting something must be wrong somewhere if there are so many reports of it. I absolutely love my Jazz Bass but there are sh*te aspects to it that I won't defend like my life depends on it. Don't want to upset anyone because Musicman basses are the BOMB but they do have their foibles and a few MM owners should be a tad less precious and relax, they are still wonderful instruments! :)

Edited by 40hz

From what I've seen, some of the R!"£$%^&*(=r owners are much more militant than MM types.

As we all know, some basses suit some and thats how it is, no-one builds a perfect bass guitar (except Warwick, of course!) but surely same as everything else, we all find something that fits.. Whatever brand sits on the headstock..

Edited by VTypeV4

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417788926' post='2624043']
All I can base my own opinion on is my own findings, from loads of rays personally I've had not one weak G so that's where I'm at, I'd love to try one with a bad one if anyone has one for me to try?
[/quote]

I've wondered if this was maybe down to the pickup polepiece height stagger... on both my Ray and my USA SUB the middle polepieces were considerably higher than the E and G ones..... and far more than I'd expected given how flat the neck radius is.

I can't say it was ever a massive issue for me, but when I lowered the polepieces in the pickup (the ones on the Ray were tearing my fingers to shreds as they were so sharp!) I've set them more evenly. I think the string volume is a bit more even now, but no way of knowing for sure...

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1417784044' post='2623970']

I think it was some of the early 5 stringers that had issues.
[/quote]

It was designed in 1976 - I think to overcome issues with dead spots. And judging by the cunning positions some of my favourite artists have played their bass lines on Precisions (and Jazzes) in the past I can only assume they did it to avoid 5th and 6th frets on the G string.

As for Musicman and specifically G string on Stingray string to string balance, I have seven such instruments and don't have the problem. I have a problem if I'm playing in a band with heavy guitars in the same sonic area, or heavy left hand keyboard. Sometimes you need to turn up - consider playing in a different position or if playing with a scooped sound, maybe boost the mids. This is no different from any other bass I've played - it's a bass player's issue I think - hearing yourself can be an issue in some bands.

S'funny - I play a Rickenbacker and a Stingray and don't give a guff about people slagging either bass off as, um, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Also, the weak G string is present on most Stingrays I have tried. I had a '94 (now sold) that had a very weak G string. My Classic, on the other hand, is strong like bull ;)

Getting upset about people slagging off the model of your bass is a major warning that you need to get a sense of perspective. These brand specific websites are a fantastic source of information but the mildest criticism will nark off the passive aggressive obsessive compulsives that act as self-elected brand reps who see themselves as protector of Sterling Ball's honour etc etc (he can protect himself very adequately I'm sure).

Edited by Cairobill

Posting on your iphone again? Stupid auto-correct... let me fix it for you ;)

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1417789781' post='2624059']
From what I've seen, some of the R!"£$%^&*(=r owners are much more militant than MM types.

As we all know, some basses suit some and thats how it is, no-one builds a perfect bass guitar (except [b]YAMAHA[/b], of course!) but surely same as everything else, we all find something that fits.. Whatever brand sits on the headstock..
[/quote]

As I own MMs, Fenders and a Rickenbacker (and love them all) that must make me one of the most fanatical militant Basschatters alive!

Whereas in reality I'm a mild-mannered type of chap who usually feels somewhat embarrassed by the rantings of the uber-fans of each particular brand. :blush:

[indent=1]No one can tell me my MM sterling is not one of the best bases in the world ‘cos it is………….for me. It fits my style of play. I am far too busy as I come from guitar so it’s a fast, small neck for me. I always wanted a Rickenbacker so eventually purchased a 4003 and hated it as the neck is too wide for me.[/indent]

[indent=1]I know bass players that have hands like dockers and wouldn’t understand finesse ( or timing ) if it kicked them in the nuts. They play basses with necks like tree trunks but that’s what they like.[/indent]

[indent=1]Horses for courses, everyone has an opinion and they’re all correct….. for them.[/indent]

[indent=1]All that counts is they engage in discourse with a smile. If that’s missing, GAME ON![/indent]

Isn't the weak G string an internet myth that was set up by some MM hater/baiter.

Haven't we had the same thing about - MarkBass, their heads are the business but their cabs are crap. (I actually think I know how that one started and it wasn't based on how they sounded...)

What we do know however, is Ashdown do catch fire (and sound wooly, muffled etc...)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1418238150' post='2628367']
Ashdown do catch fire...
[/quote]

Yes, I heard that. Though to be honest I've never seen it happen.
And at one point I had two Ashdown 410s and in no way did they sound woolly or muffled.

Nevertheless, whenever I hear the word 'Ashdown' I get a mental picture of an electric blanket on fire. :blink: