Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass - VLE & VPF??

Oggy

Hi Basschaters

I've just bought a Mark Bass Jeff Berlin Combo, 'slap it hard' is now the new owner of my Genz Benz and Barefaced cab - he brought along his oversized violin to try it out - the misses is still glaring at me and complaining that her teeth are now loose :angry:.

Anyway I didn't get a proper user manual with it, aparently "it will be with me shortly". I have downloaded the 'Owners Manual' from the Mark Bass web site, but to be quite honest - it's about as good as a Chocolate Teapot. The manual gives a numbered picture view of the front and rear of the amp section i.e.

1. Unbalanced 1/4" jack input
2. Balanced XLR input
etc

Most of the knobs and inputs / outputs are self explanatory and nothing I've not seen before but - it has two knobs that I'm not familiar with. Can someone give me the lowdown on what VLE and VPF do?

The manual tells me that the VLE is a Filter Level Control Knob, it also tells me that the VPF is a Filter Level Control Knob :unsure: .

Any of you chaps out there know what those knobs really do?

I have to say that even not knowing what those knobs do didn't stopped me using the amp at rehearsals last Thursday - it's awesome - the exclusion of a tweeter / horn and the range of the equalisation knobs is great - this combo has more bottom end than I could ever get out of the Benz with the Barefaced - loving it.

Oggy :)

One is a mid scoop arround 300 Hz but lifts bass and treble either side progresively as you go higher. keep the four main knobs at 12 and just use this to get an idea what it can do.

the other is for high cut shelving so you can get a vintage on flats sound

From the Markbass website:

What do the VLE and VPF filters do?
The VLE and VPF are useful EQ filters that help you adapt your sound for different styles of music.
The VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) is a shelf EQ that cuts a wider and wider range of high frequencies as you turn it up. Markbass amps are very clear-sounding, and this filter has the effect of drawing you into the mix more, making your sound less present. It's kind of like an "old school" knob!
The VPF (Variable Preshape Filter) boosts lows and highs, and cuts mids. Some call this kind of effect a scoop, a smiley-shape EQ, or an enhance knob. It's very effective for slap bass, pick playing, and driving eighth-note rock.
These two filters can be combined for interesting effects. But remember that they are off when they are all the way counterclockwise--we suggest you start in that position and turn the filters up gradually, one at a time, to hear and understand what they do.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1417554309' post='2621740']
From the Markbass website:

What do the VLE and VPF filters do?
The VLE and VPF are useful EQ filters that help you adapt your sound for different styles of music.
The VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) is a shelf EQ that cuts a wider and wider range of high frequencies as you turn it up. Markbass amps are very clear-sounding, and this filter has the effect of drawing you into the mix more, making your sound less present. It's kind of like an "old school" knob!
The VPF (Variable Preshape Filter) boosts lows and highs, and cuts mids. Some call this kind of effect a scoop, a smiley-shape EQ, or an enhance knob. It's very effective for slap bass, pick playing, and driving eighth-note rock.
These two filters can be combined for interesting effects. But remember that they are off when they are all the way counterclockwise--we suggest you start in that position and turn the filters up gradually, one at a time, to hear and understand what they do.
[/quote]

Thank you Guys, appreciated.

From what Roland Rock sent me from the Mark Bass web site; I can see the VLE knob getting some use "Old School" - that's me. I never did get the hang of playing with a pick or slapping / popping.

Thanks again Chaps, I had a feeling I'd get some sense here.

Ciao

Oggy :)

Depending on which band, I did find the VLE useful for getting a good blues bass sound & using the VLE & VPF together got some good sounds in my electronica band.

They're actually quite useful & don't just replicate turning the treble down (VLE) or turning the treble & bass up (VPF). I think they work on different frequency bands from the EQ section on the amp.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1417560669' post='2621864']
They're actually quite useful & don't just replicate turning the treble down (VLE) or turning the treble & bass up (VPF). I think they work on different frequency bands from the EQ section on the amp.
[/quote]

I believe that to be the case... I had a Markbass Super Booster pedal at one time, basically has these two filters and a clean boost. Very useful for warming up any dull amp, and a lot cheaper than buying a Markbass amp.

I use the vpf filter all the time, the posh control as I call it. I've got my eq the same pretty much all the time and then dial back the the vpf to as little as I can get away with. Works for me although the graph readers might tell us all why it's wrong...

• 2 years later...

I just came across this (!) which has saved me duplicating the Q from a couple of year's back.

+1 for Scalpy's comment: the VPF mid scoop provides a nice EQ enhancement - whereas I find the treble cut on the VLE results in a muffled sound and less ability to cut through the mix (I guess the flip side is RR's nicely put point of drawing you (or possibly even losing you?) in the mix.

I use the VLE in almost every situation I come across. I have it sat at 10 o'clock permanently and adjust from there. I find it tames the transparency a little bit, bringing the top end out seems to bring little character out of the amp in a way that a LPF/traditional shelf doesn't.

Having said that here are the EQ plots ........

[url="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7IkdfXXJWFiTlR6MElrWWRLbTA/view?usp=sharing"]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7IkdfXXJWFiTlR6MElrWWRLbTA/view?usp=sharing[/url]

So as you can see, it is just a shelf. I think by attenuating the highs, the tone is more focused on the lower mids of my jazz bass which I percieve as "character". Regardless of what it does, I love it![code]

Never use them on mine. Set everything flat and get a killer sound via my EBS pre-amp. I bought a Markbass as I needed a lightweight combo due to arthritis... more lightweight choices nowadays, but I have no regrets about the set up, other than it looks a bit silly perched between two Marshall half stacks.

However, I recommend you have a good old twiddle and let your ears decide. On the positive side, they enable you to get a ball park tone very quickly (vintage or scooped).