Why become a member? ×

Alleva coppolo

dudi8

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed - this much I knew. I was just puzzled why it was being burned into the back of a bass.

It was just a point of information - I'm as confused as you are... 

48 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Correct and from lutes the bowed instruments, which were the specialty of the luthiers of the past, descended .. not certainly the solid body electric guitar

So You are arguing that the meaning of the word in the English language can change from a lute maker to a bowed instrument maker when the style changed, but not from a bowed instrument maker to a solid body guitar maker? 

I am pretty sure that in American English, (and probably British English) the term Luthier would be used to describe the maker of stringed instruments with necks, eg guitars.

44 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Indeed, I just wanted to know if there was somebody in line with my thoughts .. you don’t have to drive a Mercedes F1 to be Senna .. Senna was an ace in Montecarlo even when he drive his Toleman; same can be said for Jaco Pastorius.

I know this is laughable but he didn’t need more than 4 strings and played whatever was available to him for practicing.

Had I owned an AC bass, passing from it to a Stenback would not make me a better bass-player ..

Likewise Hamilton won the title last year - even though the Firarri was a quicker car and Alonso was getting better results than that awful McLaren disserved. 
But you are right going from a AC to a Stenback, to a Harley Benton will not make you a better player. 
me changing my Golf to a Mercedes Benz, or Citroen C1 will not make my commute to work any quicker. Some people will justify the cost of the Merc. The Citroen driver may look at me and wonder how I can justify the cost. 
So even though we probably agree that the bass, or car, is not the determYou are basically arguing that your choice of fender custom shop (like my Golf) is far better than the Merc (which you’ve never driven) because the merc is unaffordable (to you)?

3 minutes ago, peteb said:

It was just a point of information - I'm as confused as you are... 

It was the one interesting thing about this thread. How deep into internet wiredness will we need to go to find out?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

It was the one interesting thing about this thread. How deep into internet wiredness will we need to go to find out?

I’m sure there was a lengthy post about it on his website regarding this headstock branding. But he’s changed website about 3 times since.

25 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Something to do with the Sovereign citizen movement, a bunch of US domestic terrorists. Probably as far as I want to go :D

29 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

So even though we probably agree that the bass, or car, is not the determYou are basically arguing that your choice of fender custom shop (like my Golf) is far better than the Merc (which you’ve never driven) because the merc is unaffordable (to you)?

I’m not sure that is what Gianni is actually saying (he can correct me if I am wrong of course)! I think that he is asking why what is essentially a Fender copy with an undeniably ugly headstock so expensive? Of course, the same can be said for many top-end fender style basses (Sadowsky for a start). I can’t comment really about AG basses, as although I have seen a couple (that looked to be a high quality build), I’ve never actually played one.

I d think that you have to be careful when you talk about ‘Fender Shaped Objects’. The electric bass guitar has been around for 65 years or so and although there have been many different designs in that time but, like it or not, for many the reference for what a bass should look and sound like is either a Fender Precision or Jazz (and to a much lesser extent a MM Stingray). This includes many band leaders, recording engineers, other musicians, plenty of bass players and even many punters. Therefore, there is a demand for something that looks and basically sounds like a Fender, but with certain improvements. Hence Sadowsky initially going into business to meet the demand in New York for a hot-rodded jazz bass and Lakland for players in Chicago who wanted something that covered both the sounds of a jazz bass and a stingray.

Of course, we could all play Harvey Bentons (or whatever they’re called), but where’s the fun in that??

6 hours ago, peteb said:

. . . . . . . .  I think that he is asking why what is essentially a Fender copy with an undeniably ugly headstock so expensive?

I'll take your word for that (I haven't wasted my time trying to follow the bickering). These "xyz basses aren't worth the price tag" posts are pretty pointless. Mostly they are framed as questions when in reality they are just making statements about personal preferences.

Why is the AC headstock any more ugly than any other bass? Is it? Doesn't bother me, it's just a shape. Fender headstocks aren't pretty, either. No one else can use Fender's, so pick a shape.

As a Sadowsky and Mike Lull owner I can tell anyone, who hears with their eyes, that while these basses resemble Fenders they are not copies at all. They are made to a much higher spec than the originals they are based on, which adds an extra dimension to the way they play and the way they sound. Their success is what prompted Fender to cash in by setting up the Custom Shop, a move that actually copies manufacturers like Sadowsky, AC and many others.

Arguing over how much anything costs is a waste of time. Why is a Ferrari more expensive than a Ford Focus when they do exactly the same job? The answer is, of course, they don't do the same job! Same with basses.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Why is a Ferrari more expensive than a Ford Focus when they do exactly the same job? The answer is, of course, they don't do the same job! Same with basses.

At the risk of being yet another pointlessly argumentative pedant, they do in fact do exactly the same job....it's just that they do it in gloriously different ways, and that's where the fun of it all lies....

Vive la difference....

(and now I'm sucked into this elliptical nightmare too....)

It's a credit to general ecosystem of Basschat - that it is broadly devoid of trolls and troll-like behaviour. Sadly unique in today's world, but does make a thread like this jump out. 

Edited by Drax

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'll take your word for that (I haven't wasted my time trying to follow the bickering). These "xyz basses aren't worth the price tag" posts are pretty pointless. Mostly they are framed as questions when in reality they are just making statements about personal preferences.

Why is the AC headstock any more ugly than any other bass? Is it? Doesn't bother me, it's just a shape. Fender headstocks aren't pretty, either. No one else can use Fender's, so pick a shape.

As a Sadowsky and Mike Lull owner I can tell anyone, who hears with their eyes, that while these basses resemble Fenders they are not copies at all. They are made to a much higher spec than the originals they are based on, which adds an extra dimension to the way they play and the way they sound. Their success is what prompted Fender to cash in by setting up the Custom Shop, a move that actually copies manufacturers like Sadowsky, AC and many others.

Arguing over how much anything costs is a waste of time. Why is a Ferrari more expensive than a Ford Focus when they do exactly the same job? The answer is, of course, they don't do the same job! Same with basses.

No you’re wrong .. they don’t do the same job .. Ferrari can travel at 320km/h, a Ford Focus not .. these are tangible data, facts.

There’s, as minimum, a 100% speed gap between the two cars.

To say that there’s a 100% performance gap between a comparable Fender (CS) and an AC bass it may not be as easy to prove, that’s why I’m arguing.

This is a FSO (Fender Shaped Object - less FSO than an AC however) which I’d eagerly pay the asked price for (and I’ll surely do in future) as it comes with a really deluxe finish, selectable exotic woods, master-level body-neck joint, proprietary and brilliantly designed bridge and a lightweight as only a feather can be:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ed3c8f3393beb799286390b39594dfa.jpeg

Other example:

image.thumb.jpeg.e7297bab453717a0a403cf41b66e866e.jpeg

Oh My Gawd ... 

Sorry no competition here albeit to each one his/her own ! ✌️

Edited by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati

1 hour ago, Drax said:

It's a credit to general ecosystem of Basschat - that it is broadly devoid of trolls and troll-like behaviour. Sadly unique in today's world, but does make a thread like this jump out. 

Ok, so long live Alleva Coppolo basses with their extraordinary features and exorbitant prices .. is it ok like this ? 👍

Edited by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati

25 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

Ok, so long live Alleva Coppolo basses with their extraordinary features and exorbitant prices .. is it ok like this ? 👍

Well yes, IF there is a demand for their basses and there are players who are prepared to pay their prices 

31 minutes ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

No you’re wrong .. they don’t do the same job .. Ferrari can travel at 320km/h, a Ford Focus not .. these are tangible data, facts.

There’s, as minimum, a 100% speed gap between the two cars.

The ‘job’ is to get the occupant from A-B. So they would complete the same task. One has the potential to do it much quicker.

Anyhow. 

Gianni, you have made your point eloquently ( really eloquently if english isn't your first language ) but those who have responded have made their's too and they are entitled to.

The car analogy doesn't, in the end, work that well, because there are so many other variables come into play....the skill of the user, the rules of the.road...the bloody weather...

You can go really fast in a ford focus if you want.

Some people find themselves in the position of being able to afford Ferraris...or high-end basses....and they buy them and use them and are happy or not. Other people use ford focus cars or Squiers basses and are happy and content too. And it isn't even a question of empyrical values either...not materials, not how well the things are made....not what they will be "worth" later.....it's all those things and many more besides, and in the end it's a judgement call for the individual which, in the end, is worth it if they think it is.

On another thread, Andy Travis talked about his Sadowsky and his Yamaha 414....he pointed out that the Sadowsky is better than the Yamaha but not ten times better, which given the cost differential one might argue that it should be...and yet he seems to like both and hasn't got too hung up about it.

That's how it is....we find value in things according to our own, unique criteria.

Edited by CPCustomdubwise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

You sound like you're spoiling for a fight. If so, you may be better off on Talkbass. 

• Like 1

Used to go out with a girl from the Isle of Wight. Back when before cameras on the roads. 

Had a Transam tried to race me back home to Somerset this one Sunday evening. Stayed ahead of him all the way. 

In a Ford Fiesta 950cc.

And by the way, the tortillas weren't stale as it turns out. 

• Haha 1