Why become a member? ×

Squier CV Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde Thoughts?

Bass_Guardian

Don't play much guitar myself
But a guitarist pal of mine has exactly one of these, same colour too
He really likes his, and thinks his other recent purchase,
a Squier CV Strat is fab too :)

I've got Squier CV 60's P bass, and it really is great!
Such good construction, playability and high quality finish - I can't tell you how much I like it
If that's anything to go by, and my guitarist pals thoughts,
then I'd say it's a good option

Cheers and good luck with your guitaring adventures :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1417438106' post='2620281']
Don't play much guitar myself
But a guitarist pal of mine has exactly one of these, same colour too
He really likes his, and thinks his other recent purchase,
a Squier CV Strat is fab too :)

I've got Squier CV 60's P bass, and it really is great!
Such good construction, playability and high quality finish - I can't tell you how much I like it
If that's anything to go by, and my guitarist pals thoughts,
then I'd say it's a good option

Cheers and good luck with your guitaring adventures :)
[/quote]

Thanks for your input Marc :) I've heard alot of raving reviews for the CV basses, hopefully that translates across to the guitar side of things!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1417443656' post='2620361']
I can't find the link to the video now, but Andertons did a blindfold test of four Teles: CV, Mexican, USA and Custom Shop. Guy picks up the CV and says, "ah, this is the Custom Shop..."
[/quote]

That's brilliant! I did watch an Andertons review of the Telecaster. They make it sound good but i know it's alot down to the amp and whatever else they're using. (plus they have some talent)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1417444055' post='2620365']
That's brilliant! I did watch an Andertons review of the Telecaster. They make it sound good but i know it's alot down to the amp and whatever else they're using. (plus they have some talent)
[/quote]

I'd certainly be considering one if "needed" another elec gtr. :o

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1417443656' post='2620361']
I can't find the link to the video now, but Andertons did a blindfold test of four Teles: CV, Mexican, USA and Custom Shop. Guy picks up the CV and says, "ah, this is the Custom Shop..."
[/quote]

Yes, I recall seeing that video too
I just can't believe the quality of my CV Squier
I keep telling people about it, cos I can't believe just how good it is for the money!

Try out one of those Tele's would be the best thing to do
I'm sure you'd like it though....

I've got a Squier CV telecaster and i love it. The neck as standard was a bit glossy for my tastes,but I knocked it down using scotchrbite grey pad and now it plays really well. Pickups are really good, can do most things really well. Just cannot go wrong for the money on these. I want a CV strat now :)

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1417610265' post='2622166']
I've got a Squier CV telecaster and i love it. The neck as standard was a bit glossy for my tastes,but I knocked it down using scotchrbite grey pad and now it plays really well. Pickups are really good, can do most things really well. Just cannot go wrong for the money on these. I want a CV strat now :)
[/quote]

Nice one :) good to hear good things about it! Love the look of them, glad they seem to be able to back that up with a good sound too!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gl_tribute_asat_special_ts.htm

There's also the G&L Asat Special at Thomann. The butterscotch blonde Asat Classic should be back up on their website too in the next few days as they were expecting stock again mid December

These may be worth looking into as alternatives to the Squier. The Special is 30% off at the moment. I think the Classics were the same before they went out of stock. I've just sold an Epiphone Les Paul to hopefully buy either a Special or Classic over the coming days.

[quote name='dub_junkie' timestamp='1417709205' post='2623318']
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gl_tribute_asat_special_ts.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._special_ts.htm[/url]

There's also the G&L Asat Special at Thomann. The butterscotch blonde Asat Classic should be back up on their website too in the next few days as they were expecting stock again mid December

These may be worth looking into as alternatives to the Squier. The Special is 30% off at the moment. I think the Classics were the same before they went out of stock. I've just sold an Epiphone Les Paul to hopefully buy either a Special or Classic over the coming days.
[/quote]

Interesting alternative! I'll check them out.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1417714041' post='2623405']
I really like the butterscotch blonde though :(
[/quote]

Want my advice? Just get one you won't be disappointed hehe. I used to have another 2 electrics - 6 strings including a single humbucker USA Gibson sg-x, ibanez rg with hsh config and my CV tele just blows them all out the water for sound /versatility and playability. Don't have those guitars anymore and do not miss them!

If you wanted a cheaper guitar the new squier affinitity Teles come in butterscotch and have string through body and in some cases people have said these sound better than MIM Teles.

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1417890114' post='2624941']
Want my advice? Just get one you won't be disappointed hehe. I used to have another 2 electrics - 6 strings including a single humbucker USA Gibson sg-x, ibanez rg with hsh config and my CV tele just blows them all out the water for sound /versatility and playability. Don't have those guitars anymore and do not miss them!

If you wanted a cheaper guitar the new squier affinitity Teles come in butterscotch and have string through body and in some cases people have said these sound better than MIM Teles.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input :) think i might go for the CV Tele.

Since my last post, I spoke to my guitarist pal
He says he's got way too many guitars.... and his G/F is starting to hint as such, a bit more fervently
He doesn't use his buttersctotch Squier Tele much
Really preferring Strats......

However, he said he's not going to sell the Tele
as he loves its' sound so much, and really really likes the colour...

He's got a Squier CV Strat too, (after buying the Tele)
and reckons it's as good as any of the Fender Strats he's played....

Ley us know if (read "when") you buy it :)
Cheers

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1418117147' post='2626901']
Since my last post, I spoke to my guitarist pal
He says he's got way too many guitars.... and his G/F is starting to hint as such, a bit more fervently
He doesn't use his buttersctotch Squier Tele much
Really preferring Strats......

However, he said he's not going to sell the Tele
as he loves its' sound so much, and really really likes the colour...

He's got a Squier CV Strat too, (after buying the Tele)
and reckons it's as good as any of the Fender Strats he's played....

Ley us know if (read "when") you buy it :)
Cheers
[/quote]

Praise indeed! I think i will get it now. Just need to save the pennies after the holiday period :) Will update accordingly thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

I play a CV jazz bass and was really impressed with it for the price compared to the Mexican fenders, so when I went to change my electric guitar I went to buy a CV tele. I was really disappointed with the feel of the CV and ended up with a fender Mexican tele. It was mainly the neck profile. The CV has a thinner neck whilst the Mexican has a rounder C shaped neck. I'd say if you stretch to the Mexican, get one instead.

Also it's generally easier to upgrade Mexican fenders with standard fender upgrades whereas CV parts don't always match exactly (such as the screw holes on scratch plates etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it last week!

Colour is even nicer in the 'flesh'! Build quality is brilliant. Ran my fingers down the side of the neck and there no sharp frets, the action is nice and low out the box, don't think i need to adjust it.

Only con i would say is the pickups could have a bit more 'oomph' but for £280 brand new i'm not complaining!

My mate who has american fender strats and teles including a custom shop tele had a shot of it and was surprised at the feel of the neck and playability so thats a plus. He's quite forward when it comes to criticising instruments. Only flaw he said was the same as me, pickups could be better.

All in all, good starter instrument for me :D chuffed!

Glad you went for it in the end
From your posts, you sounded like you had some real GAS for one

Re jim_bass's comments of Mex vs CV
Of course, it's all down to personal preference in the end
But I played a couple of Mex & US Jazzes in a shop, just a short while back
(just before getting my '72 re-issue Jazz)

I've got to say, the Mex ones were OK, but the one with the edge binding wasn't that good....
To me, the CV necks felt better - I have a CV P bass, and it's absolutely awesome!
Same thoughts as you tele though....
Great build quality - but pickups could maybe do with a bit more puch
As you say though - this newer CV range is superb build quality, and great value for money

Enjoy your new Tele
..... but remember, you are a bass player - don't go over totally to the dark side! ;)

....What? Us bass players are the ones on the dark side?? Oh well..... :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1421140286' post='2657450']
Glad you went for it in the end
From your posts, you sounded like you had some real GAS for one

Re jim_bass's comments of Mex vs CV
Of course, it's all down to personal preference in the end
But I played a couple of Mex & US Jazzes in a shop, just a short while back
(just before getting my '72 re-issue Jazz)

I've got to say, the Mex ones were OK, but the one with the edge binding wasn't that good....
To me, the CV necks felt better - I have a CV P bass, and it's absolutely awesome!
Same thoughts as you tele though....
Great build quality - but pickups could maybe do with a bit more puch
As you say though - this newer CV range is superb build quality, and great value for money

Enjoy your new Tele
..... but remember, you are a bass player - don't go over totally to the dark side! ;)

....What? Us bass players are the ones on the dark side?? Oh well..... :)
[/quote]

Ha I'm a bass man don't worry :)

I have had a CV tele and a CV strat caught up in the hype. They were ok but not spectacular. Great budget guitars, amazing for the money but the controls felt a bit weak so could do with being replaced if you were intending to gig with it. I moved both on and bought a Vintage V52 tele in butterscotch for £180. Just as good but not as sought after.
If it were my money I would stretch the extra £80 or so and get a MIM tele, excellent guitars and in my opinion,a much better guitar, better woods, easier to upgrade and can be picked up second hand easily. A MIM can be a proper gigging instrument whereas the CV would need a bit more work. But great as a second instrument if bass is your main instrument.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1421153052' post='2657668']
I have had a CV tele and a CV strat caught up in the hype. They were ok but not spectacular. Great budget guitars, amazing for the money but the controls felt a bit weak so could do with being replaced if you were intending to gig with it. I moved both on and bought a Vintage V52 tele in butterscotch for £180. Just as good but not as sought after.
If it were my money I would stretch the extra £80 or so and get a MIM tele, excellent guitars and in my opinion,a much better guitar, better woods, easier to upgrade and can be picked up second hand easily. A MIM can be a proper gigging instrument whereas the CV would need a bit more work. But great as a second instrument if bass is your main instrument.
[/quote]
It's my first electric so I'm not quite gigging it yet :) once I've got this electric guitar playing down I'll probably go American. (Not at the expense of my bass playing hopefully!) Thanks for the input :)