Why become a member? ×

4, 5, 6 strings...

thebassist

I think these days it really depends on what kind of music you are playing.
For me there is a gig where it is absolutely necessary to have a low B (A) string whereas I can live without the high C
I use my Spector EURO5 most of the time there. Wonderful recording and live tone for that band.
There are the occasional acoustic gigs where I could get on with a 4, but I don't own any and honestly I really like the B string as a thumb rest.
(I use the 'floating thumb technique' for my right hand)
Still I own two wonderful Ibanez Prestige six string basses that I do most of my practice with. I love the range, the symmetry etc.

Some years ago I had one of my sixer strung D G C F Bb Eb, just like the upper 6 strings of a 9 string bass (or almost the same tuning as a guitar)
It was great but getting the right strings that don't pup was nightmare.
Unfortunately I did not have the time to explore the possibilities it brought to me, but was a cool project.

I think you should be open minded. No one goes to the piano player and say why you have 7 octaves on your grand piano when you only use notes within a 4-5 octave range? Why should the number of the strings determine what and why you play?

I have not gone beyond 5, and I think I could handle 6... I enjoy extended ranges, but somehow I keep on thinking that all players that have really made a difference in bass history (for me, at least) were doing so on a 4-string... Except perhaps Mark Sandman, who mostly did on a 2-string fretless! 5ers and 6ers (and others) have bee n around for a while, and there's plenty of excellent players, but I struggle to think about one that has really stirred things up with a 5 or 6 as main instrument. Then again, I am not up to date on so many levels...

I totally agree with everything that has been said, apart from that we have 'evolved past 4 strings'. I think there would be a few examples of players who are current that disprove that.

And I am a big fan of Anthony Jackson and John Patitucci by the way. Two guys that I feel really utilise the extra strings in a musical way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-q0eZ5MDI&spfreload=10

I am very interested in going for a 6er.

On of my bands is now down to one guitarists (thank the music gods) and i'm seeing this as an opportunity to raise the profile of the bass in songs to fill the 'void'. I'm thinking the higher strings will allow me to mimic the guitar etc. more. Anyone else gone 6 for a similar reason?

Also where do I start if I had say £500 notes?

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1419448114' post='2640139']
I am very interested in going for a 6er.

On of my bands is now down to one guitarists (thank the music gods) and i'm seeing this as an opportunity to raise the profile of the bass in songs to fill the 'void'. I'm thinking the higher strings will allow me to mimic the guitar etc. more. Anyone else gone 6 for a similar reason?

Also where do I start if I had say £500 notes?
[/quote]

To be honest if your looking to fill the void left by a guitar I'd just fill it by playing guitar... a six string bass is still a bass for fulfilling the role of a bass instrument... nothing like a guitar.. completely different place in the timbre of a band. If your playing higher register chords etc in a band envoronment then who will be holding down the low end?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='FUNK REPORT' timestamp='1419182459' post='2637334']
I prefer 4 string basses, a bass player doesn't need more strings. ;)
[/quote]

All depends on what you want to do I guess, for me I'd be extremely lost without either a low B and most definitely without my high C string.

🎅