Why become a member? ×

The story of Funk: one nation under a groove And Funk compilation programme BBC4 Dec 5th.

Stu-khag

So I finally got round to watching the BBC4 program. It was OK, but some strange omissions & odd choices. I know you can't fit everything into an hour, and the program correctly went for funk founders such as James Brown. Sly & George Clinton, but no mention whatsoever of the Meters, Rick James, Zapp, (early) The Isley Bros, or The Gap Band?. And then only very rudimentary mentions of other primary funk groups such as Ohio Players, Slave, Cameo or Bootsy? No real coverage either of '80's electro funk (so funk suddenly went from its 70's heyday to Tribe Called Quest's I Left My Wallet in El Segundo??? - what about Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock? or George Clinton's Atomic Dog?). The program also covered a bit of Acid Jazz, but no mention of that genre's roots in Jazz Funk (Roy Ayers, Donald Bryd, Blackbyrds, etc). Too much focus also on EW&F who, whilst having elements of funk, to me at least have a much smoother R&B, disco and pop sound (I would not say that they are a raw funk group). If you are going to classify EW&F as Funk then why not mention Chic? Anyway despite my rant, there was some good vintage footage, and I quite enjoyed the Genius of Funk footage (despite the errors in that too - don't get me started again! :) )

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1418202754' post='2627836']
So I finally got round to watching the BBC4 program. It was OK, but some strange omissions & odd choices. I know you can't fit everything into an hour, and the program correctly went for funk founders such as James Brown. Sly & George Clinton, but no mention whatsoever of the Meters, Rick James, Zapp, (early) The Isley Bros, or The Gap Band?. And then only very rudimentary mentions of other primary funk groups such as Ohio Players, Slave, Cameo or Bootsy? No real coverage either of '80's electro funk (so funk suddenly went from its 70's heyday to Tribe Called Quest's I Left My Wallet in El Segundo??? - what about Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock? or George Clinton's Atomic Dog?). The program also covered a bit of Acid Jazz, but no mention of that genre's roots in Jazz Funk (Roy Ayers, Donald Bryd, Blackbyrds, etc). Too much focus also on EW&F who, whilst having elements of funk, to me at least have a much smoother R&B, disco and pop sound (I would not say that they are a raw funk group). If you are going to classify EW&F as Funk then why not mention Chic? Anyway despite my rant, there was some good vintage footage, and I quite enjoyed the Genius of Funk footage (despite the errors in that too - don't get me started again! :) )
[/quote]
The whole thing was either poorly researched or they just didn't understand what they were talking about. They seemed to think that Acid Jazz came from Funk when we all know it was from Jazz Funk which was a different genre altogether. That fact that they thought EW&F were a Funk band is just ignorance and they seemed to think that when Disco came Funk was finished which was not the case at all. AWB were again never a Funk band but they didn't seem to understand that just because a band is Funky it doesn't necessarily mean they are a Funk band. it was just a poor show all round.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1417264058' post='2618666']
I've still got the Melvin Bragg Southbank Show and the Lernny Henry doc on The Funk on good ol VHS!
[/quote]

ahh but do you have a VHS to play it on ?? :P
do you remember the ones with the big press down buttons at the front the top loader that came up with such force you would jump out of you skin and was capable sending a plant pot flying into the air. oh the joy

good heads up im there also thanks.

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1418465694' post='2630375']
ahh but do you have a VHS to play it on ?? :P
do you remember the ones with the big press down buttons at the front the top loader that came up with such force you would jump out of you skin and was capable sending a plant pot flying into the air. oh the joy
[/quote]
Fascinating memories of VHS players but any thoughts on The Story Of Funk?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418466546' post='2630386']
Fascinating memories of VHS players but any thoughts on The Story Of Funk?
[/quote]

as said.......[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]good heads up im there also thanks[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]. i will report to you direct after i have watched it. :P[/font][/color]

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1418057657' post='2626393']
aaahhh....Eddie Hazel.....he should be ranked with Jimi Hendrix in my book!
check this bit of Eddie out...
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcwEEu9yF7w"]https://www.youtube....h?v=CcwEEu9yF7w[/url]
[/quote]

This. Eddie is criminally underrated.