Why become a member? ×

The story of Funk: one nation under a groove And Funk compilation programme BBC4 Dec 5th.

Stu-khag

Just a heads up. Been working on this a little while. Funk Documentary is broadcast next Friday on BBC4 followed by a Funk Compilation programme (Still being made!)
I cant seem to embed the video but the intro is watchable on the BBC site below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02d05tk

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1417472713' post='2620846']
About 90seconds of James Brown vocals (copyright ex's?) - I'll give it a glance, but us old farts were around at the time, so I'm not expecting much that's gonna rock my world................
:rolleyes:
[/quote]
As another old fart who was around at the time i tend to feel the same. Whenever i watch programmes that are about a part of my youth i now realise how my dear old Dad used to feel when we watched a TV programme about WW2.

Great show for anyone who doesn't know their Funk from their Elbow but for anyone else forget it.

If anyone is old enough to remember The Story Of Pop then next time your in the loft just find the one with Funk & Soul on the cover and you won't have to watch the BBC programme as it's about as in-depth as that.

What went wrong Ron Bykowski?

It was kind of entertaining, especially the narrator waxing lyrical about Jefferson Aeroplane. That was the point where I realised both the narrator and the script writer both learned about funk from the internet about 2 weeks before the show was filmed.

Love the pimped up cars and clothes though. Want to join a funk band now....

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1417821875' post='2624432']
...but have you any idea about it now?
[/quote]

Not really no... Sounded like some good music though... to be honest I'm not sure I could identify with the whole ethos behind the music, not being a black american in the 70's myself... but it sounded good :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417822561' post='2624439']
to be honest I'm not sure I could identify with the whole ethos behind the music, not being a black american in the 70's myself... but it sounded good :)
[/quote]
That would be the ethos behind the music according to the producers of the programme? I like thousands of others here in the UK at the time who weren't black, didn't live in the Bronx, Watts or 12th Street Detroit but still appreciated the music so much so that the UK record companies pressed thousands of funk LPs in the golden period of funk from the late 60s to early 80s. The programme did give the impression that you had to be a black American at the time to appreciate or indeed know anything about it. That's presumably because their research was based that side of the pond and the impact of funk only in the US which seems strange as the programme was aimed at a British audience many of who would have been well aware of the impact of funk in 70s Britain..

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1417823317' post='2624450']
That would be the ethos behind the music according to the producers of the programme? I like thousands of others here in the UK at the time who weren't black, didn't live in the Bronx, Watts or 12th Street Detroit but still appreciated the music so much so that the UK record companies pressed thousands of funk LPs in the golden period of funk from the late 60s to early 80s. The programme did give the impression that you had to be a black American at the time to appreciate or indeed know anything about it. That's presumably because their research was based that side of the pond and the impact of funk only in the US which seems strange as the programme was aimed at a British audience many of who would have been well aware of the impact of funk in 70s Britain..
[/quote]

Thats quite interesting... they properly made it look like it was something you could only enjoy as a black american, talking about 30'000 people at a james brown gig and not a single white person. I liked the music though, not something I've really looked into before. I enjoyed the little insight when they were talking about getting down on the one with the first beat of the bar as a solid hit then a syncopated rhythm to follow, comparing that to the straight 4/4 of the disco that came after and how that, to their minds lacked groove... although it also had very prominent bass!

To be honest I've always struggled with getting into the lyrical/cultural side of music... thats why I've never written vocal parts. I have nothing to say :blink: I'm not oppressed or downtrodden... no-one is stopping me from doing anything and i'm not really experiencing any great hardship... Who wants to listen to songs about working a steady job and paying the mortgage :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

Really looking fwd to this , hope it's a bit more than a collection of clips I've already watched on you tube though.

Remember when I started learning bass I had a book , Clinton or Bootsy said "funk, simple , either you play a note or you don't"

[quote]Who wants to listen to songs about working a steady job and paying the mortgage[/quote]

I dunno, there is mileage in that:

Tumble outta bed and I stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
Yawn and stretch and try to come to alive
Jump in the shower and the blood starts pumpin'
Out on the street the traffic starts jumpin'
With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5

Workin' 9 to 5, what a way to make a livin'
Barely gettin' by, it's all takin' and no givin'
They just use your mind and they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you crazy if you let it
9 to 5, for service and devotion
You would think that I would deserve a fair promotion
Want to move ahead but the boss won't seem to let me
I swear sometimes that man is out to get me!

They let you dream just to watch 'em shatter
You're just a step on the boss-man's ladder
But you got dreams he'll never take away
You're in the same boat with a lotta your friends
Waitin' for the day your ship'll come in
an' the tide's gonna turn and it's all gonna roll your way

Workin' 9 to 5, what a way to make a livin'
They just use your mind and you never get the credit
9 to 5, yeah they got you where they want you
There's a better life, and you dream about it, don't you?
It's a rich man's game no matter what they call it
And you spend your life puttin' money in his wallet

9 to 5, whoa what a way to make a livin'
They just use your mind and they never give you credit

9 to 5, yeah they got you where they want you
There's a better life, and you dream about it, don't you?
It's a rich man's game no matter what they call it
And you spend your life puttin' money in his wallet