Why become a member? ×

Any Blue Basses Out There?

gsgbass

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1420020745' post='2644831']

I have the exact same bass! It was my first decent instrument after my crappy second hand starter bass. I still take it to rehearsals once in a while.

S.P.
[/quote]

Funnily, it was exactly the same for me! My first attempt at a 'proper' bass - keep it for sentimental reasons. I have the feeling that with a good pre like the OBP3 it might actually be excellent, I love its unplugged tone. But I can't be bothered to play with a soldering iron. Maybe I should try a U retro, but the rear cavity is rather small...

Edited by juliusmonk

[quote name='ukulelelab' timestamp='1420228208' post='2647006']

It's an early '66 (late '65 neck and pots, Jan 66 pickups), all original including LPB finish. Yours looks like a pre-CBS in pretty awesome shape. Is it a '63 or '64?
Btw I read you're into disco and funk so you're probably aware of that local story: in 1975 a couple of American session musicians who’ve known each other for year finish a gig at local chicken-in-a-basket venue The Heart Of The Midlands after backing up an unknown soul singer, and wind up chatting in the Bentinck Hotel (next to the train station in Nottingham}, after one of them’s had his wallet nicked. On the spot, they decide to form their own band. Their names? Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards. The band? Chic. True story.
[/quote]

Wow I didn't know that story about Nile and Bernard and they are two of my biggest musical heroes. Thanks for that. I bought my Stingray in early 80s cos it was exactly same as the one Bernard plays. Now I play guitar too and chose an MIJ 54 Strat because Nile uses a 50s Strat with maple neck too. Also I immediately loved the feel and sound of both instruments. In fact my current band is pretty much modeled on Chic and my band call me The White Nile!!

Back to the original thread. My P is a 63 and all original in every respect apart from the finish which is a very nice and very old refin, probably done in 70s or maybe 80s. I bet yours sounds great and so nice to have original paint.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420246997' post='2647269'] Wow. Alembic Europa? [/quote]
Absolutely right he got it just before Christmas and taking it on it's first gig tonight.

My own contribution to this blue bass thread would have been a Musicman sterling that I sold around 2007/2008.

Edited by jazzyvee

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1419512377' post='2640524']
Something old & blue - Aria Pro RSB Deluxe II, from 1984.

Bought this new in December '84, was my main gigging bass until the original neck went like a corkscrew in the mid 90s. Neck's been replaced with a similar (but not identical) RSB Straycat version, which is straight but doesn't feel quite right. Still looking for a proper MIJ RSB replacement, then it might gig again!

Jon.
[/quote]

Oh.... I used to have one of those in Pearl White, bought it in '88. Traded it in a few years later, the one bass I wish I had never ever sold, most playable neck I've ever come across apart from the Spector DougW.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...