Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT classic with small single cab

Pow_22

Been a long time fan of the SVT and usually used them with a 410HLF. Recently however, ive seen two local bassists using them with the sealed 410he with is an 8ohm cab. Ive done a fair bit of research including speaking to the inventor of the SVT who says that they have no problem driving 8ohms, particularly at the vvolume id be looking at.

However, i fancy a smaller cab, something like say a single 1x15 or single 2x10 - anyone done this? The band i play in isnt particularly loud and i play with a flats loaded P bass. I may be wrong but my thinking is with a 2x10 id need to crank the volume a little bit more than with a 4x10 - thus driving the valves a bit harder resulting in a more pleasing valve sound?

Anyone driven any other Ampeg cabs with an SVT other than the usual 4x10, 6x10 and 8x10 combinations?

I use a Tecamp M115 4Ohm cab at the moment.I'm sort of into the same kind of thinking as you I guess,a powerful amp and a small cab(or two if needed).
I have heard the same thing from a very respected tec in Gothenburg,Sweden-you can use a single 8Ohm cab with the Ampeg SVT-CL as long as you're not pushing the amp near full volume.It will make your powertubes wear out faster though.
I'm now selling a L410 8Ohm cab which I used a little bit,and I have used a rental rig which had a single svt210cl 8Ohms without problems.
If I were you I would look for a 4Ohm cab with fullrange sound in the end.
For the sound part,I always crank the Volume to 10 and then adjust the output with the gain-knob.In my experience I have tried many Gain/master settings but never noticed a big difference between the hi gain distortion vs the poweramp-distortion on that amp.I have used plenty of different preamptubes and 6550 Sovtek and 6550 JJ.The sound is different in every setting but it's hard to say if it's the preamp or the poweramp distorting.

Why would you do this....?
You have a hulking great amp ..which the sole purpose of it is the sheer grunt and you want to run it thru a weedy ( comparitively ) cab.
Sounds like a waste of valve life to me...
I'd say sell it and run a PF500 instead... ( if they have solved the reliability issues ) or man up and do it all properly :lol:

• 2 weeks later...