Why become a member? ×

Holding The Bass Neck

Dan_Q

Personally, I would only ever have the 'thumb over the top' thing if I need to reach a note on the lower strings with it... Something is just inherently more comfortable with having a well arched-hand position, or at least for me - especially with fretless playing (if you're into that kind of thing, ooer) I'd say your intonation will be far better with the thumb lodged firmly in the background.

[quote name='SteveK' post='256812' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:36 PM']I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with most of the posts here:

It [i]will[/i] restrict your future progress. If you're serious about playing bass, then you should, as you say, "nip it in the bud". Gripping the neck with the thumb over the top [i]is[/i] bad technique.

By gripping the neck you are severely restricting movement and the span of your fingers.

Yes, You may find that you have to have your bass slung a bit higher in order to achieve this comfortably.

If you're [i]not[/i] so serious, and are happy playing roots and fifths, then, as you were :)

Steve[/quote]

+1 on all SteveK's comments.

I'm really shocked that some of the earlier posts in this thread advocate having the thumb over the top. It's a poor show to do this and a habit that you should try to break as quickly as possible. It may feel more 'natural' to hook your thumb over the top, but nothing about bass playing is inherently 'natural'.

By hanging your thumb over the top it forces your fingers to bunch together and limits your movement across the fretboard, when your thumb is in the centre of the neck it allows your fingers to open out (like a blossoming flower, what a lovely metaphor) giving you easier access to notes. Although it seems like more work now once it feels more 'natural' it will mean you can play more complex parts with a lot less effort.

As for muting you have your thumb and two spare fingers on your right hand, and unless your playing chords three spare fingers on your left hand :huh:

Just a thought, I was taught to play classical guitar as a kid and translated this to the bass, the classical note fingering and not using my thumb to play with but as support on the back of the neck, But, there are no real rules, sometimes I only use my left hand and not my right, sometimes my thumb slides over if I feel like it,often my right forearm kinda holds the bass body to me and the neck is just there in space with my left hand free to move where ever, however, the bass is hanging off you via a strap so techicnally your not 'holding the neck', this will only slow or labour your playing, it should be effortless and balanced, weather you wear it high a la mark king or real low, its an ergonomic thing for efficency, however I realise image goes a long way for many, but that may be stopping technical advancement.

all the best guys... :)

Edited by nig

[quote name='mcgraham' post='261371' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:07 AM']Whenever I meet someone who clutches the neck like you've described, I demonstrate this...

Situation 1) I place my hand on the neck as you've described, with the thumb anchored around the top side of the neck, then show the other player how many frets I can reach at full stretch whilst keeping that thumb anchored. You'll get 2-3 max, depending on where you are on the neck (around the 7th fret say?).

Situation 2) I switch to thumb behind the neck, and show how many frets I can reach with my thumb behind the neck, usually 4 or 5 depending on where I am on the neck (around the 7th fret again).

I then get them to try it; I've not encountered anyone who doesn't acknowledge at least the ergonomic benefits. Keeping the thumb behind the neck rather than anchored on top of it will help relieve tension in your playing, will give you greater stretch along the freboard, as well as making it easier to stretch across it.

Mark[/quote]

Great way of demonstration! But...

If you grab your bass near the 1st fret, you can get a (realy near or) same amount of stretch with your hand around. As far as I know an even more important thing to mind is the placement of your elbow!
This might sound silly but people tend to put their elbow inside near their body where they should extend it more to match a less angled line (straight would be overworking it) with their wrists, and then you will also notice you can reach more frets. Usually my thumb is opposite to my ring- or middlefinger.

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='273589' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:02 AM']If you grab your bass near the 1st fret, you can get a (realy near or) same amount of stretch with your hand around.[/quote]

Sorry but I don't think that's true, it will still limit your movement, irrespective of what position you are playing in.

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='273589' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:02 AM']As far as I know an even more important thing to mind is the placement of your elbow!
This might sound silly but people tend to put their elbow inside near their body where they should extend it more to match a less angled line (straight would be overworking it) with their wrists, and then you will also notice you can reach more frets. Usually my thumb is opposite to my ring- or middlefinger.[/quote]

I do agree about elbow positioning though :)