Why become a member? ×

Your preferred method of tuning guitars and bass guitars

dazzyroots

1. 25 + years
2. Yes, korg pitchblack
3. Tuner and ear
4. Floor tuner, or by knowing one string is correct then harmonics
5. Yes
7. Nothing about mine, though I did use one live once that I wasn't used to and didnt notice one string was flat on the display
8. Not sure if I know the "correct" way but I can do it
9. my pitch-black floor pedal

Edited by lojo

1. How long have you been playing your instrument? - 40 years

2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model? - Boss TU12, Boss TU2

3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner? - BOTH

4. If by ear how do you go about? TUNE THE STRINGS TO EACH OTHER AFTER TUNING ONE TO A FIXED NOTE ON E.G. PIANO.

5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not TUNING IS FINE

6. Why are you not happy with your tuning? I AM HAPPY

7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner NOTHING AT ALL

8. Do you know how to tune by ear? OF COURSE

9. What is your preferred tuning method? TUNER

[b][size=7][color=#ffa500]I[/color] [color=#ff0000]C[/color][color=#008000]A[/color][color=#ff8c00]N[/color] [color=#ff0000]T[/color][color=#0000ff]U[/color][color=#800080]N[/color]I[color=#ff0000]N[/color][color=#008000]G[/color][color=#ee82ee]![/color][/size][/b][b][size=7][color=#ff0000]! :crazy:[/color][/size][/b]

Edited by discreet

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. How long have you been playing your instrument? [b]40 years... ish. [/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model? [b]Sonic Research ST200, Boss TU12 for back up[/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner? [b]Both[/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. If by ear how do you go about? [b]On guitar, usually by comparing simple chords; bass, just kinda playing root/7th fret octaves. If trying to be accurate with guitar, I use a version of this method - [/b][/font][/color][b]http://www.ryanguitars.com/GuitarTech-Tuning.html [/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? [b]Not always[/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Why are you not happy with your tuning? [b]Generally not happy only on acoustics with intonation problems[/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner [b]Nothing much... apart from the danger of reliance[/b][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. Do you know how to tune by ear? [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]9. What is your preferred tuning method? [b]Live, electronic. Home, ear. [/b][/font][/color]

1. How long have you been playing your instrument?
30 years

2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model?
Built in on GT6B multi-fx pedal, Fender FCT-12 clip-on

3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner?
GT6B when gigging, ear when playing at home, Fender when changing strings or wildly out at home

4. If by ear how do you go about?
Harmonics

5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not
Yes

6. Why are you not happy with your tuning?
N/A although I do have to acclimatise my Ric at each gig before checking

7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner
It looked at me in a funny way!

GT6B is very good, Fender can struggle to lock in on low notes, ear generally always works well

8. Do you know how to tune by ear?
Yes, although it's easier to use my hands

9. What is your preferred tuning method?
GT6B

[quote name='dazzyroots' timestamp='1417005797' post='2615956']
1. How long have you been playing your instrument? [i]40 years[/i]
2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model? [i]Korg, Snark[/i]
3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner? [i]Get it in the range electronically then sweeten by ear[/i]
4. If by ear how do you go about? [i]Listen[/i]
5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? [i]Yes[/i]
6. Why are you not happy with your tuning? [i]NA[/i]
7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner [i]Nothing[/i]
8. Do you know how to tune by ear? [i]See above[/i]
9. What is your preferred tuning method? [i]Electronic > Ear[/i]
[/quote]

Of course, in a band context there's always the old-school option which is to let the guitarist tune to whatever he or she likes then tune to him / her by ear.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1417028954' post='2616404']
Of course, in a band context there's always the old-school option which is to let the guitarist tune to whatever he or she likes then tune to him / her by ear.
[/quote]

Yes, or tune to the inevitable crappy back-stage piano, with hilarious results. I think quite a lot of music from the 60s/70s is unique because of this! And you'd see even quite big name bands who would come on stage and tune up for five minutes. Not like now, when even the smallest pub-gig is expected to flow like a Harvey Goldsmith production.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1417030416' post='2616434']
Yes, or tune to the inevitable crappy back-stage piano, with hilarious results. I think quite a lot of music from the 60s/70s is unique because of this! And you'd see even quite big name bands who would come on stage and tune up for five minutes. Not like now, when even the smallest pub-gig is expected to flow like a Harvey Goldsmith production.
[/quote]

Quite so. And a bit depressing in a way.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. How long have you been playing your instrument?[/font][/color]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]22 years[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model?[/font][/color]
[b][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]​Yes, Aroma pedal tuner (korg pitch-black copy)[/color][/font][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner?[/font][/color]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tuner at gigs, by ear at home.[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. If by ear how do you go about?[/font][/color]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I tune to a track that I know the key of, tune whichever string is closest to the home key, then use harmonics for the other strings[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not[/font][/color]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yup. I've spent a lot of time setting the intonation on my bass, so it's always in tune wherever I am on the fingerboard[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Why are you not happy with your tuning?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner[/font][/color]?
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It only displays '#', not 'b', so I have to tune to D#, not Eb - nitpicking, I know.[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. Do you know how to tune by ear?[/font][/color]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yes. I do it often.[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]9. What is your preferred tuning method? [/font][/color]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]t home I prefer to tune by ear, as it's one less device to worry about, but live I use my pedal tuner because it mutes the output when it's switched on; nobody wants to hear that, it's like a hoover warming up. [/font][/color][/b]
[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The other advantage of a pedal tuner is that the rest of my band are REALLY noisy, and tuning by ear is impossible.[/font][/color][/b]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1417010799' post='2616039']

[b]Fretless bass using harmonics. Fretted bass using the fretted notes. Guitar fretted notes and then playing the chords I'll be using in that particular song to fine tune. Fretted instruments are always a compromise with regards to tuning so the tuning always needs to be adjusted to suit the chords you'll be using.[/b]

[/quote]

Excellent answer about the 6 string thing... I It is exactly what I do, plus the harmonics, but forgot to say in my email reply. Like you I have been playing beyond 40 years. One day I will be a rock star yet. I am still waiting / trying. My excuse is I started young.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. How long have you been playing your instrument?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bass Guitar - 16 years, Double Bass - 11 years[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model?[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Bass Guitar - Yes, the Boss TU2. [/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner? [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bass Guitar - [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In band practice, yes. Playing by myself I tune by ear. Double Bass, always by ear.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. If by ear how do you go about?[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I use my ears, listen to the string and turn the tuning pegs with my hands until the string is in tune.[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not[/font][/color]
Generally yes, though...
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Why are you not happy with your tuning?[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Ultimately I feel that I should really have a tech that does it for me. [/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner? [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Boss models are bloody expensive.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. Do you know how to tune by ear?[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Yes, I don't have perfect pitch, but I can usually get it within a semi tone, which considering I grew up to Hendrix who tuned a half step down, that is close enough. [/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]9. What is your preferred tuning method?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Until I took this questionnaire, the activity of tuning really did not really seem to be something substantial enough for my brain to decide on a preferred method.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]thank you very much for your invaluable support in advance.[/font][/color]

Dear All
I’m currently writing a dissertation about the preferred method of tuning guitars and bass guitars. I would appreciate it very much if you have 5minutes for me to answer the questions below and PM or email it to me at [email=""][email protected][/email] .

1. How long have you been playing your instrument? [color=#ff0000]35yrs[/color]
2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model? [color=#ff0000]Korg Pitchblack rack mount[/color]
3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner? [color=#ff0000]electronic[/color]
4. If by ear how do you go about? [color=#ff0000]harmonics[/color]
5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not [color=#ff0000]yes[/color]
6. Why are you not happy with your tuning? [color=#ff0000]n/a[/color]
7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner [color=#ff0000]nothing[/color]
8. Do you know how to tune by ear? [color=#ff0000]yes[/color]
9. What is your preferred tuning method? [color=#ff0000]electronic[/color]
thank you very much for your invaluable support in advance.

dazzyroots
[/quote]

Dear All
I’m currently writing a dissertation about the preferred method of tuning guitars and bass guitars. I would appreciate it very much if you have 5minutes for me to answer the questions below and PM or email it to me at [email=""][email protected][/email] .

1. How long have you been playing your instrument? [b]6 years[/b]
2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model? [b]Yes, Boss TU-2, with a Planet Waves strobe tuner as a backup[/b]
3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner? [b]Usually electronic[/b]
4. If by ear how do you go about? [b]5th fret on previous string[/b]
5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not [b]Yes[/b]
6. Why are you not happy with your tuning? [b]N/A[/b]
7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner [b]Nothing[/b]
8. Do you know how to tune by ear? [b]Yes[/b]
9. What is your preferred tuning method? [b]Electronic, by far. Silent and much quicker.[/b]
thank you very much for your invaluable support in advance.

dazzyroots
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1417025045' post='2616319']
[b][size=7][color=#ffa500]I[/color] [color=#ff0000]C[/color][color=#008000]A[/color][color=#ff8c00]N[/color] [color=#ff0000]T[/color][color=#0000ff]U[/color][color=#800080]N[/color]I[color=#ff0000]N[/color][color=#008000]G[/color][color=#ee82ee]![/color][/size][/b][b][size=7][color=#ff0000]! :crazy:[/color][/size][/b]
[/quote]

YES

TUNING

1. How long have you been playing your instrument?
A. 24 years
2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model?
A. Crappy old korg tuner but mostly none.
3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner?
A.by ear but electronic if noise is a problem
A. Call for an open a string off guitar geek who does use a tc electronics tuner, then I tune by ear using harmonics listening to the waves.
5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not
A. Mostly
6. Why are you not happy with your tuning?
A. I am :)
7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner
A. It's often inaccurate.
8. Do you know how to tune by ear?
A. Yes
9. What is your preferred tuning method?
A. Harmonics

I suppose I really should get with the programme and get a reputable tuner for silent tuning but once I've tuned up i will usually tune whilst playing if required.....
Sound like a smug answer, it's not meant that way I've just gotten used to making tweaks hear and there whilst playing.
I think this is partly why I don't use a tuner as my ear for pitch is sometimes contrary to what the tuner says??
Could just be me thinking its in when its out but I have often used a tuner and thought " that's never in tune that ???"

Anyone else or just me..? If it's just me, I'll take it that my ear for pitch is off and I'm hearing it different :)
Me, I can't stand for anyone to be a smudge out of tune when playing, I'm almost unable to listen to it.
More of a curse than a skill to be fair....

Edited by Wonky2