Why become a member? ×

Your preferred method of tuning guitars and bass guitars

dazzyroots

Dear All
I’m currently writing a dissertation about the preferred method of tuning guitars and bass guitars. I would appreciate it very much if you have 5minutes for me to answer the questions below and PM or email it to me at [email][email protected][/email] .

1. How long have you been playing your instrument?
2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model?
3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner?
4. If by ear how do you go about?
5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not
6. Why are you not happy with your tuning?
7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner
8. Do you know how to tune by ear?
9. What is your preferred tuning method?
thank you very much for your invaluable support in advance.

dazzyroots

OK, here goes...

1: 34 years
2: Yes, built-in tuner on Digitech BNX3 multifx unit.
3: Both
4: Ask another musician to give me a G note, then tune the other strings using harmonics on 5th and 7th frets.
5: Yes
6: N/A
7: It can be a little oversensitive and can flicker between determining whether the string is in tune or slightly sharp or flat.
8: Yes
9: Using the electronic tuner, as it is silent and also illuminated which is great for tuning onstage.

25+ years

Yes, various, plug in ones and built into my TC BH250 amp

Electronic tuner and then a quick check by ear

Just to check strings are relatively tuned after using the tuner on each string.

Yes. No one seems to complain ;)

N/a

Nothing

Yes, as affordable electronic tuners weren't around when I started playing. I have previously used a tuning fork!

Electronic tuner.

[quote name='dazzyroots' timestamp='1417005797' post='2615956']
Dear All
I’m currently writing a dissertation about the preferred method of tuning guitars and bass guitars. I would appreciate it very much if you have 5minutes for me to answer the questions below and PM or email it to me at [email][email protected][/email] .

1. How long have you been playing your instrument? 35 years
2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model? POD X3 LIVE
3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner? Both
4. If by ear how do you go about? I tune electronically then fine tune by ear by playing some open and barre chords
5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? YES

dazzyroots
[/quote]

There you go. Although I think your survey needs tuning a bit :)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. How long have you been playing your instrument? 32 years[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model? Yes, Mooer Baby Tuner[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner? Both, but mostly electronic.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. If by ear how do you go about? Get a reference note from another instrument then tune via octaves and harmonics on other strings .[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not Yes[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Why are you not happy with your tuning? n/a[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner. Nothing with the current tuner but some I've used in the past have been slow to respond.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. Do you know how to tune by ear? Yes[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]9. What is your preferred tuning method? Electronic since I know that it's 100% accurate. Plus the tuner will mute my sound so when playing live you don't get to "entertain" the audience/band mates with your tuning.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]thank you very much for your invaluable support in advance.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1417009688' post='2616012']
Has anyone actually read what the OP wrote?

He's not asking you to answer here, but to PM or email him ...
[/quote]
Not much fun if we can't see everybody's answers is it? I always thought that was the idea of a forum

[b]More than 40 years[/b]

[b]Yes, Peterson StroboRack[/b]

[b]On stage always with a tuner - no-one wants to hear people tuning up at a gig or taking ages about it. At home with the tuner or by ear whatever is most convenient or appropriate.[/b]

[b]Fretless bass using harmonics. Fretted bass using the fretted notes. Guitar fretted notes and then playing the chords I'll be using in that particular song to fine tune. Fretted instruments are always a compromise with regards to tuning so the tuning always needs to be adjusted to suit the chords you'll be using.[/b]

[b]Yes.[/b]

[b]See above.[/b]

[b]It's not always as "right" for chordal instruments as tuning by ear, but all the benefits outweigh this for everything except for some recording sessions.[/b]

[b]Yes.[/b]

[b]On stage always just the tuner - no-one wants to hear people tuning up at a gig or taking ages about it. At home with the tuner or by ear whatever is most convenient.[/b]

[b]Thanks. I've posted my answers here. Please come back and interact with the forum some more. What is the purpose of this survey?[/b]

Edited by BigRedX

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. How long have you been playing your instrument?[/font][/color]
10 - 11 Years
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Do you use an electronic tuner? If yes which model?[/font][/color]
Yes - Snark Stage Tuner / Amplitube built in tuner on PC
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Do you tune by ear or electronic tuner?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Usually electric Tuner[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. If by ear how do you go about?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tune the E till I'm happy it's accurate, then do the 5th fret harmonic one string and tune the 7th fret harmonic on the string below, then tweak till my heart's content[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Are you always 100% happy with your tuning? / if not[/font][/color]
It's usually about 90% accurate.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Why are you not happy with your tuning?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's never perfect, but good enough for practising with, but not for playing with others or recording [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. What disturbs you about the electronic tuner[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nothing, it's faster![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. Do you know how to tune by ear?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Not 100% accurately, but can get it pretty close[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]9. What is your preferred tuning method?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Electric Tuner[/font][/color]

18 years
Yes. Boss Tuning Pedal
Electronic Tuner
Harmonics
If i'm using a tuner, yes
If i'm going by ear, if i don't have a pitch perfect E to use as a start point, i could always be a little off
Nothing
Yes
Boss Pedal. Quicker, easier, less obnoxious

[quote name='dazzyroots' timestamp='1417005797' post='2615956']
Dear All
I’m currently writing a dissertation about the preferred method of tuning guitars and bass guitars. I would appreciate it very much if you have 5minutes for me to answer the questions below and PM or email it to me at [email=""][email protected][/email] .

[color=#0000ff]3 Years[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Built in on Zoom B3/G3 or TC BH250 Amp.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Electronic.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]N/A[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Yes.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]N/A[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Nothing, also handy as a mute.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Yes. Used to play Brass and that was the standard method.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Electronic - no contest.[/color]

[/quote]