DOD Meatbox Reissue

rushers

• 6 months later...

Digitech/Juan have just clarified:

The output is TRS:

Tip = Octave+Sub,
Ring = Dry
Sleeve = Ground

Boom, you'll need a long insert cable to get from the MB to the amp/DI, but it's workable!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1433201675' post='2788944']
Digitech/Juan have just clarified:

The output is TRS:

Tip = Octave+Sub,
Ring = Dry
Sleeve = Ground

Boom, you'll need a long insert cable to get from the MB to the amp/DI, but it's workable!

Si
[/quote]

Good to know! But they could have included an extra jack as the TRS option (like the Radial Bassbone loop) is not my favourite.

Anyways, let's see how the new model compares to the original Meatbox.
I think Juan will be biased as it seems that he has a good relationship with Digitech/DOD (remember the first Bass Whammy he reviewed).

Still nice to know that he has been able to influence a company in re-issuing a pedal. We'll have to see now how this affects 2nd hand Meatboxes prices.

TRS is TIP, RING, SLEEVE

If you look at a stereo jack plug it has a TIP then a black bit then a silver RING and then another black bit and then the silver SLEEVE.

The TIP and RING deal with different parts of the output from the pedal so if you wire up a stereo socket properly you can route the TIP signal to a different place from the RING signal.

[quote name='Jonesy' timestamp='1433336798' post='2790188']
Sorry for the stupid question, but can you explain what you mean about the output being TRS to an idiot who is new to playing with effects and doesn't want to blow his rig up? =)
[/quote]

A standard mono instrument cable is comprised of Tip & Sleeve, a stereo cable is comprised of Tip, Ring & Sleeve. In this particular application, you can send different signals from the pedal to each part of the jack plug (with the exception of Sleeve which is always ground). And so, if you connect a standard mono instrument cable to this Meatbox, you'll get the effected signal to your amp, the Octave/dry signal is blendable via the Octave control. If you connect an 'insert cable' (google it), which is a stereo jack to 2x mono jacks, you can separate out the Wet (effected) signal, from a Dry (bass) signal. This is helpful for the meat box because it means you can send the dry signal to your amp and the effected signal to the PA (via a DI box as usual). Gives you the sub through the PA without destroying your amp ;)

Si

Effectively, the Meatbox gives a particular tone (mild fuzzy octave) with a 30hz sub boost. You could approximate the effect of the Meatbox with an EQ (either pedal or amp) and boosting that lots at 30hz, then turn it up to gig volume.

Actually don't......or at least be careful and don't blame me ;)

Si

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1433514779' post='2791767']
Out of interest how would people compare the meatbox to the sub octaves on the pog2?
I have a pog and was gonna get a meatbox but if the -2 Oct is similar then there may be no need...?
[/quote]

I don't think it's going to compare. The Meatbox isn't really about it being low from an 'octave' point of view, more that it's sub frequencies are heavily boosted.
I've not tried a POG2, but if the Micro POG is anything to go by, the Meatbox will absolutely destroy it ;)
To be fair, there's not a great deal that comes close to the Meatbox, some say that the Aguilar Octomiser does a good impression, but it's too clean for my liking.
The Mantic Density Hulk is probably the closest (ignoring their Beef Bag clone), but again, it's different to the Meatbox slightly.

Si

I have a HOG with a clean -2 similar to the POG and Si has it in a nutshell.
The Meatbox is really a 'sub' frequency boost which is not the same a just dropping down octaves. The majority of drop octave pedals with filters will make it seem relatively close to a Meatbox but its not the same. Its essential in a Doom band, for the feels.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...