Why become a member? ×

New Toys! Live recording setup..

VTypeV4

Afte rmany years as a live engineer I considered that recording some of the events I mix might be good a experience as well as spinning a few extra pennies to boot. :D

1: I bought a decent computer (dual core intel) built by my friend. Mayber later I'll go to a Mac..
2: I have a MOTU 828x MK3..
3: I have a few digital desks knocking about and most recently I purchased a Yamaha 02R..

As software I'm using Pro Tools which seems to interface well with the MOTU and runs smoothly on the computer. It's simple to route inputs and outputs so I can mix either in the program or send back to the console and mix externally / return LR if needed which gives me plenty of options. All ins to the MOTU will be sent on ADAT (bank A 1-8 then bank B 9-16) although it has an extra 10 analogue inputs too. Outs can also be routed on the two ADAT banks so once the signal goes into the console, it stays digital so no noise etc. Both the Yamaha and Soundcraft desks work at a maximum of 48kHz / 24-bit so I'm using this as my standard although the MOTU will do more, up to 192kHz. Connection to the computer is done by USB 3.0 as I don't have Thunderbolt ports and apparently firewire may soon be a thing of the past.

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/DSC_0026_zpsnrrrcau6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/DSC_0026_zpsnrrrcau6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'll probably have to iron out some of the yet unknown gremlins in the setup and workout a 'system' which works best for me and yeilds the best results too. As it'll be largely a live recording setup, I expect my 328XD will be best for the 'in' as it's direct outs can set pre / post fade, pre / post EQ and pre / post dynamics. Short of an appropriately set input gain, the sends to the MOTU will be unaffected by my live mix.

Gonna try it all on Wed! :lol:

Nice setup ( he drooled ;) )

I've got an old 12 channel audio interface and have wondered about using it for live recordings using the direct outs of my soundcraft (analogue) desk.

I've always assumed that live recording is mainly about ensuring a good level on each instrument and not worrying about the mix at that stage. Obviously the performance has to be mixed, but the multitrack recording should be taken from the pre fade/eq side of things and then eq'd and mixed down later.

Is this correct, or should I be thinking about trying to do a recording mix at the same time as the FoH mix? What is the standard practice for such things? ( or maybe there isn't one?)

Edited by flyfisher

As described in your post Flyfisher, it's how I'm approaching it.. :D

Direct outs should be pre everything if poss so what goes to tape (or indeed a modern digtal medium!) is entirely unaffected by your live mix as what soundsd good FOH may not work on the recording. Also consider that you don't want to be chasing fader movements whilst trying to mix the recording, that'd be a nightmare! A healthy level in and to tape is important as it's often diffiicult or impractical to sort something thats either way too quiet or heavily clipped after the fact.

What setup are you using? I used to use a Soundcraft GB8 when they were new about ten years ago..

Post a pic if you can, it'd be nice to see how you have things set-up. :D

Nothing wrong with most Soundcraft models, even the old Spirit range of Folio and Live4 series were good consoles. The first live job I ever did back in 2000 was on a Folio SX.

I'm not sure where all my gear is gonna fit as my sound booth at the Rigger isn't particularly big. There's just enough space for the Allen & Heath GL and the two racks so where the hell a computer, a monitor, a 328XD and/or the 02R, I have no idea! Ha!

Its gonna be a trial run tomorrow so I'll see how it plays out. :lol:

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/IMG_0048_zps67358dad.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/IMG_0048_zps67358dad.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

All the gear roughly in place, you can just see the green screen of the MOTU in the top rack and the savvy may notice the use of the Soundcraft rather than the 02R. I had some teething trouble with the 02R that I've now resolved but it was just easier to use the XD as I was running out of time on Wednesday evening.