Why become a member? ×

Zero radius fretboards

SimonH

Hi - done a quick forum search and couldn't find an answer, so apologies if this is old hat, but...

I'm thinking of my *next* bass (14 and counting)... and I've decided there's something, er, 'playable' about the look of a zero, or very wide, radius fingerboard. I keep looking at pics of ACG, Shuker and, I think, Vigier boards and they just look super fast and super low action (I know string height is nothing to do with fingerboard profile; it's an optical thing).

Anyway, my question is: what are your opinions on what a zero radius fingerboard feels like (before I slink off and find one to try)? Are they generally said to have a particular characteristic that radiused boards do or don't?

For context, I like the 305mm radius that Ibanez use on their ATKs, SRs and RDs...

Thanking you kindly...

Personally I'm a convert, they seem to work particularly well with the asymmetric neck carve on ACGs. I have no idea why, but they do fell natural almost immediately. Don't know where you are in the world but I have some ACGs you are welcome to try if you like.

Zero radius feels completely natural on my ACG. What that means is I don't really notice it, it just works and feels right. I also find a 7.25 radius feel right on my old Fenders so not sure that zero radius is 'better' as such, it's just another take on the multitude of neck profiles out there. Zero radius is easy to set up though and does allow for a low action.

The term "zero radius" makes me wonder if the object in question would exist at all. As we know that the larger the radius, the flatter the board, wouldn't these flat boards have been sanded to a radius which approaches infinity? Or am I thinking too much? ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1416905553' post='2614788']
The term "zero radius" makes me wonder if the object in question would exist at all. As we know that the larger the radius, the flatter the board, wouldn't these flat boards have been sanded to a radius which approaches infinity? Or am I thinking too much? ;)
[/quote]
Beat me to it.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1416911430' post='2614855']
Zero radius, as in having no radius applied to a flat board, which is how they start out.
[/quote]

Infinite radius sounds way better, the marketing guys are going to love it!

I think you're taking me too seriously, I was just having a bit of mathematical/geometrical fun :)

I'm a flat board convert too, thanks to ACG.
Just feels right and helps promote "proper technique" too, I find with the traditional Fender style radius, I end up gripping the neck like a baseball bat, with my thumb over the top.
That combined with an asymmetrical neck profile, like BassBunny says, "heaven" :)

Eude

• 1 month later...

I think it's much more important on chordal & more tap style instruments . . . like a chapman stick or a 12 string bass (the 12 single string style, not the 4 3's).
For bowed instruments like violins, EUBs, and cellos - you need a tightish radius - less than 10" I'd imagine!
With an electric bass it's natural the tradition of a radiused board would come into play. However given the fretted instrument comes largely from the world of classical guitar - with near flat, slightly convex (20" radius and the like) or even concave (again with a 20" or other fairly large radius) being the highly functional tradition.

I feel unless you bow - whatever works, works. Hell - even if you bow. I find flatter radiuses make fretting the lower strings easier (makes the neck feel thinner front to back).
Haven't tried a flat radius bass, or a concave one (If such a thing exists) - but I'd imagine it'll work great.

Just don't try a flat radius upright with a bow! unless it's a two string - you're gonna have trouble!

flat board and asymstrical necks are a joy to play. I imagine that combined with fan frets would be perfection but that's another variable.

The first time I played an ACG with the Flat board/asymmetric neck I felt it was quite chunky but after 5 minutes it all made sense. worth trying if you can give it a go!

I am currently working on a loner bass to allow people to try out the flat board/asymmetric neck and the filter pre-amp. Thinking that a security deposit would be paid via bank transfer. Agree time of lone with carriage both ways deducted from the deposit which would then be returned on the bass being returned.

The bass is a 5 string Recurve with a RFB in the bridge and a PB in the neck. Pre-amp will be a DFM 3K. I will post details on my website once the bass is completed. This will be a UK only deal.

Alan

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1416911474' post='2614856']
Beat me to it.
[/quote]

And me. :huh: In practical engineering terms the phrase doesn't really mean anything (despite what some have said above - whoever coined it was either just looking for a catchy name or else is geometrically challenged... probably both :unsure: ) - 'flat fretboard' would do though... :D

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1420494783' post='2650075']
I am currently working on a loner bass to allow people to try out the flat board/asymmetric neck and the filter pre-amp. Thinking that a security deposit would be paid via bank transfer. Agree time of lone with carriage both ways deducted from the deposit which would then be returned on the bass being returned.

The bass is a 5 string Recurve with a RFB in the bridge and a PB in the neck. Pre-amp will be a DFM 3K. I will post details on my website once the bass is completed. This will be a UK only deal.

Alan
[/quote]

I'd be interested, I've had an eye on ACG for a while & with an important birthday coming up it would be good to try before I buy. Only plan on one commission so it has to be right for me.

Cheers

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1416905553' post='2614788']
[/quote]

glad somebody else said it, I didn't feel like wearing my pedant hat today :P but it bothered my inner OCD-sufferer :lol:
It should be infinity radius, of course. :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1416861763' post='2614506']
I found the asymmetric neck and flat fingerboard immediately comfortable and very playable.
[/quote]

Me too as was the 24" radius (near flat) on my graft acg and custom telebass made by mike Walsh