Why become a member? ×

Revelation bass brand - any experience?

Romeo2

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1416835999' post='2614026']
I like the semi-pointed sculpt on the headstocks. Very Hohner-ish.
[/quote]

It is, isn't it? Very Hohner Revelation-ish, in fact!

Hohner's Revelations (sometimes known as the Eurofighter Guitar) were assembled in Wales from bodies & necks made in the Czech Republic, Schaller & Wilkinson hardware, and ATX pickups made by Alan Entwistle - so there's your connection, I suspect! I'd guess Mr Entwistle has obtained the rights to the Revelation name & logo etc, and is behind this brand. If I remember right, he was also responsible for the fairy interesting-looking Alden brand from a few years back.

I do like that LP Recording copy. Shortscale GAS alert!

Jon.

Rikaxxe in Bristol carries a selection of them. I picked up one of their P basses in there for a look and it seemed pretty well made and felt like it was a good machine.

I can't imagine that they would stock something that they thought was rubbish as its not that sort of shop.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1417013280' post='2616084']
It is, isn't it? Very Hohner Revelation-ish, in fact!

Hohner's Revelations (sometimes known as the Eurofighter Guitar) were assembled in Wales from bodies & necks made in the Czech Republic, Schaller & Wilkinson hardware, and ATX pickups made by Alan Entwistle - so there's your connection, I suspect! I'd guess Mr Entwistle has obtained the rights to the Revelation name & logo etc, and is behind this brand. If I remember right, he was also responsible for the fairy interesting-looking Alden brand from a few years back.

I do like that LP Recording copy. Shortscale GAS alert!

Jon.
[/quote]

That would definitely explain it! Thanks Jon :)

(I've a fretless Hohner neck as part of my bitsa fretless P, which is why I noticed it.)

• 1 month later...

I saw some of these today in a music shop in Banbury, probably Oxfordshire. I didn't get the chance to try one as I was in a hurry. TBH, close up they looked as you'd expect for the price. They looked competently made, but I wouldn't describe them as looking beautiful or looking higher quality than you would expect for the price.

The shop, One Man Band, doesn't seem to list Revelation basses on their [url="http://www.ombmusic.co.uk/bass-guitars-47-c.asp"]webpage[/url]. In store, they had one Fender, one Aria STB, one Yamaha, and two Revelation basses. Not exactly a massive range. They had more Revelation guitars, which are [url=http://www.ombmusic.co.uk/revelation-guitars-239-c.asp]on their website.[/url]

The shop had two prices on each instrument. One was the 'shop' price, which claimed to include four services worth £100. The other was the 'internet' price, which was a noticeable amount lower.

Edited by Annoying Twit

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're great! I own three. The RBJ-67 in white, RBJ-67 Dlx 5 string, and the RPB 65 in sunburst. I've been gigging them for a couple of months and I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from other bassists/musos on how they sound, look and feel. We do also sell them in the shop and they sell like hotcakes. One of our customers Rob Mullarkey bought one as he loved how closely it resembled his '62 precision!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I reviewed some for my local shop and the tend to have Arias, Subs and the like in
as that is their market. I rated the Revelations Jazzes as the best in shop and
like them a lot more than the Subs, for example.

So, assuming the hardware is average, and for that price, it is understandable,
they pay well enough for the budget, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428595885' post='2742866']
I reviewed some for my local shop and the tend to have Arias, Subs and the like in
as that is their market. I rated the Revelations Jazzes as the best in shop and
like them a lot more than the Subs, for example.

So, assuming the hardware is average, and for that price, it is understandable,
they pay well enough for the budget, IMO.
[/quote]

I've played MM Subs at that same shop, as well as a range of Cort basses including the A5 which is in a higher budget range. It's hard to compare as for some reason quite a lot of their basses have actions set higher than I prefer. Which is saying something as I like a high action. The Revelation had a nice medium action, and for me is best in shop just because of that. I haven't played many short scale basses. The last was an Epiphone Beatle Bass, which I thought didn't play well at all. This Revelation was much better than the Epiphone. I like to compare things to the Fender range. I'd think that the Revelation compares very well to the similarly priced Squier VM range instruments that I've played, e.g. the Jaguar. However, the Revelation has the advantage of being a much more interesting looking instrument, IMHO. (Shallow? Moi?) However, I didn't plug the Revelation in, so I don't know what it sounds like. I didn't notice anything wrong with the hardware. I tuned it up a bit by ear as one string was way out, and didn't notice that the tuning machines were anything other than entirely serviceable. The nut was cut well, as far as I can see. And I certainly didn't try and adjust the bridge.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Iv had a revelation jazz neck under the bed for about a years now, bought it iff ebay for £20ish, I had completely forgot about it till these posts! It seems very well made, maple with blocks and binding, should put it on a body at some point!

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1428599218' post='2742904']
Iv had a revelation jazz neck under the bed for about a years now, bought it iff ebay for £20ish, I had completely forgot about it till these posts! It seems very well made, maple with blocks and binding, should put it on a body at some point!
[/quote]

If you decide to sell it, please let me know :)

I've got a Revelation RBJ-67 5-string and it's great. Nice construction, comfortable, plays well, proper block inlays, good low B string, and big, loud barky pickups with large MM-style polepieces. A bit on the heavy side, but that's what you get when you get a bass made of ash (as opposed to swamp ash). It records really well too. I'd love to bung a J-Retro in there and see how it sounds.

I've already got my eye on another one - the candy apple red PJ is very nice. According to their Facebook page, they've also got a Fender VI-style 6-string coming soon, as well as a fretless.

I'm happy to support Revelation - they're a great UK company with some pedigree behind them.