Why become a member? ×

Responses to turning down being in someone's band.

Marvin

A good test of the water is if they let you walk out of the audition with the line "we have others to see"
That usually means one of two things:
They don't think you were good enough and hope someone better turns up.
OR
They are about as organised as a wet sponge, no decent band lets someone walk out who they think can do the job and ticks all boxes, you stop it there and pull the bod in and ask them if they want the job.
You do not take the chance they will also be looking for a job and will walk out and get one.

A friend of mine got a very high profile gig after the second track of the audition and they opened a bottle of scotch
on the deal whilst the other guys were still on the plane from London for it...
so, yes, I agree, if they have more people to see, they aren't that convinced

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416825219' post='2613841']
A friend of mine got a very high profile gig after the second track of the audition and they opened a bottle of scotch
[/quote]

The last audition I held a few years back, we needed a vocalist, one after another they came.... :(
Then in walked one guy and nailed it !
I went and bought him a drink and asked him politely if he thought this was his band, he said yes 100% I asked would he just sit in whilst we saw the last two people and would then get back up for some more.
We dispensed the other two after one track each, got our man back up, never even told him "you have got the job" funny enough, we just said welcome mate, lets crack on with he set.
You have to be ready to pounce when it happens, never let them walk out, it is disregardful in my opinion.
That aside, I have also had those bands and ideas where nobody walks in, who hasn't ?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416825219' post='2613841']
[/quote]

I can understand 'a bird in the hand' and all that, but it seems a bit harsh on the guys still on the plane . . .

In my opinion and practice, both at my day job and with bands, if I agree to audition X people for a job, I will go through X auditions before I make a decision. I will try to give everybody a fair chance, by giving the same task to everybody, and assessing their work.

Naturally, I will begin to form my opinion, but the answer for everybody is that we need to finish the auditions before we can make a decision, and that's what I do. If I find someone suitable in one round of auditions, I will close the job and politely refuse anyone else.

A little dry perhaps, yet my experience says it's the right thing to do.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1416827063' post='2613875']
I can understand 'a bird in the hand' and all that, but it seems a bit harsh on the guys still on the plane . . .
[/quote]

That is the deal at that level... and my friend knew the London guys were onto the gig so it was often
a case of who got there first. He also knew there was NO WAY they were getting the gig as he knew the players.

I don't know how they dealt with the other guys who were mid travel... but those are the risks you take.
My friend was at a trade show in Manchester so as soon as the word went out...everyone got in gear.
The London guys must have known the urgency as they decide to get the plane upto Scotland..

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1416827142' post='2613877']
Yes one of the guys on the plane could have been even better...
[/quote]

My mate knew who was on the audition trail and he didn't think they'd get the gig over him...
but if they'd got there first, maybe they would have done enough.
The standard was such that the London session scene was after this gig, so none of them were
bad players... so I can see why getting there first would be desirable..???

Everyone was responsible for their own travel costs..

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1416828046' post='2613892']
In my opinion and practice, both at my day job and with bands, if I agree to audition X people for a job, I will go through X auditions before I make a decision. I will try to give everybody a fair chance, by giving the same task to everybody, and assessing their work.

Naturally, I will begin to form my opinion, but the answer for everybody is that we need to finish the auditions before we can make a decision, and that's what I do. If I find someone suitable in one round of auditions, I will close the job and politely refuse anyone else.

A little dry perhaps, yet my experience says it's the right thing to do.
[/quote]

That's the way I've always done it too. The only time I've offered someone a place on the spot was with a singer who was the last of several to audition. I could have offered it to one of the others who was good enough and missed out on the best one.

I've only had to turn down one invitation to join. I hummed and hawed about it for a while then ended up declining and being quite honest about my reasons why not (the humming and hawing was about whether or not to be honest or to come up with some flimsy excuse). I was thanked for my candour. Guess I've been lucky so far.

I know from when I last auditioned, good bass players are rare. I know of three local bands who are using guitarists as bass players.

The band I'm in, auditioned three guys before I came along and they had been dismissed fairly quickly.

It's quite a tough job to find and audition new players so when one comes along and then, after all the work, decides they're not interested, it can be a pain.

There are loads of obvious steps to take before the auditionee has even started to learn parts for the audition (on both sides) so if someone has actually turned up for the audition they, and you, must be reasonably happy that they're going to be considered/consider the band.

People not communicating after the fact may seem rude but I'd say that a lot of musicians are flakey at best and this is just the way they behave. Unless they're actually rude to you, I wouldn't worry too much.

There's a guy locally who has asked me a number of times to play with his projects. He seems a nice guy and his music is very accomplished but just not really up my street. After the third time, it's started to get awkward when I bump into him at other peoples gigs, and with Edinburgh being quite a small scene this happens regularly. There have been times I've told him that I'm too busy, but I'm not that busy at the moment!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416830488' post='2613928']

That is the deal at that level... and my friend knew the London guys were onto the gig so it was often
a case of who got there first. He also knew there was NO WAY they were getting the gig as he knew the players.

I don't know how they dealt with the other guys who were mid travel... but those are the risks you take.
My friend was at a trade show in Manchester so as soon as the word went out...everyone got in gear.
The London guys must have known the urgency as they decide to get the plane upto Scotland..
[/quote]

Fair enough if everyone knew the deal, but it sounds a bit of a desperate business. Still, kudos to your friend for 'stealing' the gig - he must have certainly impressed!